Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a PS1 now and me and my GF have been playing Crash Bandicoot but that game is kind of lame. I am looking for something like it but a little but better. Mario 64 is the perfect example of a game to play WITH someone that's not fighting and racing and has a light story you can breeze over and not even pay attention to. But you know its only on the N64.

So what are some fun games we can play and trade levels back and forth much like Mario and Crash Bandicoot.

:bzbatl

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
1994 called, they want their game console back....

In all reality, I don't think there's many for the psx. There's a racing game like Mario Kart, but I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head. Go to Gamestop or something and check out the used games. I'm sure you're bound to find something.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
The genre of games your talking about is referred to as platformers, or platform games.

From the PS1 era, I'm thinking Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Oddworld, Rayman, Tomb Raider to some extent. Ratchet and Clank became Sony's defacto platformer later on.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Crash Team Racing (Crash Bandicoot version of Mario Kart), G-Darius (arcade fighter jet game), Pandemonium, Star Wars Masters of Tera Kasi, Armored Core Series (Hell yes), Metal Slug, Spyro, Megaman series, sled storm (snowmobile racing), Parappa the Rapper, Blasto.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Crash Team Racing (Crash Bandicoot version of Mario Kart), G-Darius (arcade fighter jet game), Pandemonium, Star Wars Masters of Tera Kasi, Armored Core Series (Hell yes), Metal Slug, Spyro, Megaman series, sled storm (snowmobile racing), Parappa the Rapper, Blasto.
Ok if we're just naming good games of the PS1 era, let me add the Twisted Metal series, Bushido Blade, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Blade.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Ok if we're just naming good games of the PS1 era, let me add the Twisted Metal series, Bushido Blade, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Blade.
Metal Gear Solid is an awesome game if you invest the time to learn the story, but for a couple to play i don't think it would be as enjoyable. Twisted Metal you can just jump in and rain havoc without caring whats going on and with couples playing I think it is more important to be able to jump in and have fun at the very least depending on how both persons are with games. I love games but my wife doesn't like to get drawn in too much, so a game like Borderlands 2 is amusing to her while a game like Mass Effect would bore the ever living crap out of her.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I love games but my wife doesn't like to get drawn in too much, so a game like Borderlands 2 is amusing to her while a game like Mass Effect would bore the ever living crap out of her.
I've thoroughly turned mine into a gamer. It turns out though, it took some slower games to really get her in, because anything that relied on twitch reflexes or finely tuned controller skills frustrated her until she got used to it. She beat Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2 all by herself, it was the story and menu-based combat that hooked her. Then she got into Skyrim, etc. She'll actually play FPS's with me now, and can hold her own. I had gotten her into Mass Effect 2, but then FFXIII-2 came out, she got out of it.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Get Castlevania. It's the only reason to own a PS1.
Symphony of the Night FTMFW.

Probably my favorite game of all time. I fucking LOVE this game.

Probably not the best for switching off or whatever.... but it's a bad-ass game regardless.

On a side note, I wonder where my Ps1 ended up. I don't think I ever got rid of it.... maybe my brother has it. I know my sister has my NES. Bitch.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a 16-bit Sega Genesis. I'll sell it to you for $200. Just to make it a deal, I'll throw in all the games I have for FREE!

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
On a side note, I wonder where my Ps1 ended up. I don't think I ever got rid of it.... maybe my brother has it. I know my sister has my NES. Bitch.
Our house was burglarized in 1998, so we lost everything then (NES and SNES). I never trade in games, so I have everything from the PS1 and N64 on.

Its cool now though, because a used wii and a $10 SD card give me the entire NES and SNES catalogs with homebrew.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Our house was burglarized in 1998, so we lost everything then (NES and SNES). I never trade in games, so I have everything from the PS1 and N64 on.

Its cool now though, because a used wii and a $10 SD card give me the entire NES and SNES catalogs with homebrew.
Yep.

I have a disc for the original xbox with all the SNES, NES, Genesis, N64, and game boy games (normal though GBA) on it.

It's pretty sweet. Plus with the hard drive, you can do a save state and pick right up where you left off.

So yeah- I need to do the same thing with a wii eventually so I can finally ditch the old xbox. I just haven't done it yet (never owned a wii).

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
So yeah- I need to do the same thing with a wii eventually so I can finally ditch the old xbox. I just haven't done it yet (never owned a wii).
Yeah I bought this Wii off a friend who was going to trade it in to GameStop for $40...

The homebrew is actually stupid easy. Just put a file on the SD card, go into the messaging app on the wii. From there the exploit looks like a message with an attachment, and it handles the rest.

The emulation is generally really really good, but I'm seeing just the slightest delay on my controller inputs (just enough that sometimes you feel kind of cheated when trying to time something like jumping a moving obstacle). I think the delay is actually in the LCD though, not a fault of the Wii.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Yeah I bought this Wii off a friend who was going to trade it in to GameStop for $40...

The homebrew is actually stupid easy. Just put a file on the SD card, go into the messaging app on the wii. From there the exploit looks like a message with an attachment, and it handles the rest.

The emulation is generally really really good, but I'm seeing just the slightest delay on my controller inputs (just enough that sometimes you feel kind of cheated when trying to time something like jumping a moving obstacle). I think the delay is actually in the LCD though, not a fault of the Wii.
Yeah, certain HDTV's do that. I first noticed it on the samsung DLP tv's about... I dunno... like 7 or 8 years ago, maybe?

It usually happens when you have an input using the composite jack (just the yellow RCA cable) or s-video cable (which is basically the same thing, just insulated better better because the signal is split in half.

Basically, the tv has to up-convert the signal to digital, and that processing creates a delay in the video on the screen.

It was REALLY bad back in 2005. Now it's not noticeable most of the time. Back then, using a device with a progressive-scan output fixed it. But my buddy had to get a new dvd player because even playing dvd's there was a delay. Playing video games was pretty much impossible.

There's a chance you can fix it if you turn off any motion processing features your tv has (like if you are forcing it to 120hz or something), or if it has any kind of filter or something.

This is one of the reasons I like my old LCD projection tv so much. It has no digital tuner, no HDMI input, it's only 720p, but the picture is PERFECTLY clear, motion looks totally perfect, and there's no image processing in it. It's a Sony XBR, so back in 2003 it was like 8 grand (I got it for free because the bulb was burnt out 2 or 3 years ago). It's a fucking GREAT tv, though.

It uses a funky bulb, but I made an adapter to use the $60 universal bulbs that most modern projectors use and it's been working perfect ever since. Also, the remote is like a solid chunk of aluminum. It's great compared to most plastic pieces of shit.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i traded in a TON of stuff when i was laid off. I regret it, it was only $20 for all i had.

30 NES games
N64 & 3 games

i was getting 50 and 70 cents for each NES game. such a waste.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts