Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy's '92 CBR F2 has a wobble when he rides.. I checked his rear tire, and it has some side to side play.. Axle nuts are tight, but you can wiggle the rear tire side to side. This results in the bike swerving when braking.
I think it is the bearings in the rear tire.. Any other suggestions?

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Sounds like the bearings are bad. Not much else it could be. I've heard ceramic bearing are the way to go. Not sure of the cost, but they kill steel bearings in tests.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
My buddy's '92 CBR F2 has a wobble when he rides.. I checked his rear tire, and it has some side to side play.. Axle nuts are tight, but you can wiggle the rear tire side to side. This results in the bike swerving when braking.
I think it is the bearings in the rear tire.. Any other suggestions?
Are both the spacers still on the wheel?

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roadracer319 said:
Are both the spacers still on the wheel?
yeah.. spacers are still there. havent taken the wheel off yet to inspect the bearings.... but both spacers still there..
gonna have to inspect the axle and spacers too, to see if the failed bearings damaged them..

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh man.. you shoulda seen the bearings.. Looks like they lubed it with C-4.. They are fragged....

Okay, next problem.. The bearing "race", is now stuck in the wheel hub.. any suggestions to pulling it out??? Heard of using a flathead screwdriver and pushing it out from the opposite side, but it is REALLY stuck in there.. Any better ideas?

Edit: The axle is fine.. not scored.... Cush drive needs replacing though.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Is the whole bearing in there or just the outer race?

If its just the outer race you should use a bearing puller for pilot bearings for transmission shafts on cars. Easily rented at a parts store and will pull any bearing out if you know what your doing.

Heating up the wheel with a propane torch will make it easier to KNOCK out the bearings if you go that route. Just hit the rim on the aluminum with the propane torch and hurry up and knock it out. Put the new bearings in the freezer and then heat the rim back up real good when you put the new bearings in. Use WD40 for lube and knock em in with a socket of the same size of the outer race if you dont have bearing drivers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would recommend using a brass punch instead of a screwdriver, but it will work just slowly work your way around, don't try to push the race out on one side.

·
Registered
297 Posts
i had to have my outer race removed also, what the shop did and if i had know he was gonna do it that way i would have done it myself, i was afraid of damaging the rim
anyway if u have a welder u can just weld a small bead on the race itself. being careful not to weld the race to the rim. when it cools it can be knocked out easy.
later

1 - 10 of 10 Posts