Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I thought I've read somewhere that you can get metal replacement screws for those dumb easy-to-strip plastic screws that hold the windshield on but I can't seem to find that info. Anyone have any leads/links/etc.?

Thanks!

:cheers

P.S. I found these but has anyone ever used them? I'm not sure if they will fit properly. I guess $20 Canadian isn't a steep price to pay to experiment; I just figured I'd learn from you guys if you have any previous experience with these. Thanks again.

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
Lockhart Phillips makes the correct kind and they had them on the shelf at the local stealership.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Um, the screw has nothing to do with holding the windshield on, the expanding plastic thing is what actually holds it on there. The only problem with having stripped ones is that they might be harder to take out. All you have to do is buy a metal screw of similar diameter as the plastic one and shove it in there (no screwing required)

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SilverBuzz said:
Lockhart Phillips makes the correct kind and they had them on the shelf at the local stealership.
Cool, I'll check with my dealership to see if they have any in stock. Thanks!

:cheers

killernoodle said:
..The only problem with having stripped ones is that they might be harder to take out...
Yeah, that's the problem. Same thing happened with my R6, one time of swapping out the windshield and an accidental bout of too much torque on the ol' screw driver and all I'm left with is thrashed screws that are next to impossible to get out w/ a screwdriver. Of course if you have a screw extractor set or something sharp to jam into that plastic screw you're good to go. I'd rather have something a little more durable.

Regardless of all that, thanks for the info on the "expanding nut" functionality, I didn't know that.

:dblthumb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts