Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my ZX7R and it has a cracked fairing I have seen the plastic welding kits forsale.my question is this kit looks like a soldering iron and plactic rods is that about right?A fellow rider says he fixed his with a old peice of fairng and a soldeiring iron.HAS anyone done this ?do i need to buy the kit (i have a soldering iron) or will a old peice of fairing werk as the weld?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Yes ABS and a soldering iron is the best way to repair a crack IMO. If you are careful and working from the back you can do an almost invisible repair. Cut a trough in the crack and then tack the crack closed in a few spots with the iron, then drip abs meltings into the crack. I'd also drill a hole in the end of the crack almost all the way through the fairing to relieve the stress at the leading tip of the crack.

·
Registered
404 Posts
When I had a cracked fairing, I bought a fiberglass repair kit. It was pretty easy to do. Used a filler on the front side. My friend sanded it down where you could barely tell it was there. It was bulletproof. Just another cheap fix to consider.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have had success with soldering irons. Fiberglass, thats a different story, not all bikes use the same plastic. The fiberglass would not stick to my fairing. However, something that I did worked really well.

Go to a hobby shop and buy some super glue. The kind from super markets is too expensive. Clean the area with alcohol to degrease. I use pieces of heavy cloth (gun cleaning patches works really well) spread some glue on the back side of the crack than put the patch on. Now soak the patch with more glue until saturated. Continue building up layers on and around the crack. It is the same idea as fiberglass but with different ingredents.

I have a couple of cracks that has held about three years now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts