Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding this weekend having a great time, and I saw it coming a Plastic grocery bag!! i tried to avoid it but ran right into it. It melted on my exhaust i tried to get it off but no luck. any ideas on how i can remove it? thanks

·
Registered
605 Posts
Drive a lot and have it melt off...it happened on my prelude like 10 months ago and took like 4 months to completely burn off. It sucks

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was checking the front tire pressure on my bike after it was idling and melted the elbow protector off my jacket on the header... (Stupid I know) it's been about a month now and it's almost gone. I find I can smell it when idling in traffic when 3 or 4 bars are on the temp gauge... But that one spot on my pipes is gleaming silver not one bit of tarnish on it. (Coat your pipes in plastic and if ya don't mind the smell they will keep nice and silver...lol Not!!!) I tried to get rid of it to no avail, you may just have to let it burn off... If you’re careful you can scrape the majority off it off with a razor but watch that you don't gouge your pipes. This may shorten the process a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I knew a guy years ago that used paint stripper and it worked a treat at getting the plastic off but as it was chromed it stained it a bit.
Might be OK with stainless steel though.
Maybe try a bit out of site first

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, that sucks. I've got no suggestions but from what it looks like, you're just better off letting it gradually melt away. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have you tried contacting a muffler/pipe manufacturer to get suggestions on getting the plastic off?

·
Registered
193 Posts
fuzzy6 said:
Have you tried contacting a muffler/pipe manufacturer to get suggestions on getting the plastic off?

Hey fuzzy if we wanted to go to manufacturers for questions then this forum would be no good... c'mon man, get into that do it yourself ask other guys before going to the MAN spirit...

yeah sorry that may have been way off base...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry Kevin, I guess that was a "did you read the directions" question. Don't know what I was thinking.

·
Registered
193 Posts
:egrin Hey I'm just messing with you since you bought a blue one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A. Use a gasket remover

or

B. Take a box of sugar cubes, moist one a bit and start scratching. It'll work but you'll have to spend lots of sugar cubes :) Don't ask why they work.. they just do...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Scrape it and get a GRAY SOS pad. Be pateint and allways go inline with the pipes and you won't notice the coloration difference. Emery papers good to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts