Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to look at a 2003 gsxr 600 tomorrow the bike looks great (from pictures) but its got a custom paint job and rims (see link below). The owner told me that the bike had been in a minor accident a while back before he owned it. He said that the headlights were replaced as well as a mirror and the fairings. What should I be looking for damage wise when I go to see it. The cosmetics were fixed I just dont want there to be a major problem with it later down the road. I am asking because I just started riding two years ago and am not the most mechanically sound person. Although I will be taking my friend who used to ride when he was younger and knows his way around a garage just thought I'd ask for some advice.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Cracks in the fairing, or scrape marks under the paint.

Bar end weights. Condition of the clip ons. Condition of the switch assemblies on the bars (are they loose, cut up, etc.).

Damage to the frame and/or forks. Does the bike pull one way or the other. Does the bike 'feel' straight when you are going straight. This is the thing to worry the most about in my opinion. Rashed up body work, damaged controls; these are things that can be replaced easily, usually with used parts from eBay. You just want to keep them in mind when settling on a price. Frame and fork damage/not being true, however, are a huge pain in the ass.

Edit: and make sure the title is clean. If the title is 'salvage' or 'rebuild', I'd say walk away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts