Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't freaking believe it! My wife hasn't ridden the little Ninja in 6 months, so I freshend up the fuel, and told her to ride the bike around the block to blow out the carb. 2 minutes later she completes the mission, but not without being ambushed and bitten by a pit bull. The dog got a hold of her leg and started shaking. Waiting on the police to arrive in moments......

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Oh shit dude, that sucks. Hopefully nothing serious.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Dogs are only as good as their owners... Sorry that happened, OP. Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Well I'm sorry to hear about your wife getting bit that sucks.

But how in the hell do you get bit by a dog riding a motorcycle?

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Dogs are unpredictable. Mine is the most gentle happy go lucky animal in the world, but she gets weird with anything on 2 wheels, bicycles included. Until I get up to her running speed she just wants to bite at the front wheel and bark at the bike, and normally she doesn't bark or bite at anything. I would not take this as a sign of aggression in the dog, more that it was startled and confused, and should have been under it's owners control.

I hope your wife is ok, and that the dogs owner learns to properly handle their responsibility.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Damn, that sucks.

Here street dogs are a really big problem. Most of them are left without anyone being responsible for them.

Every single day one or two groups of dogs try to get ahold of my legs. It's a real problem.

Of course the blame is not on the dog per se, but a dog has no business running around on city streets. I hope you can catch the owner.

Here we don't even have that hope, and that drives some people to "take measures" in their own hands...something I'm obviously against, but it's a complicated matter.

nico

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Was it really a pitbull breed? Around here every dog that isn't a pocket dog or a golden retriever is called a pitbull. I can't count the number of times that someone has told me 'nice looking pitbull' or something along those lines. I don't own a pitbull. My dog is an Olde English Bulldog. Other than both being muscular dogs, they look nothing alike. That is a huge part of why pitbulls have such bad names... No matter what breed of dog it actually is, it's called a pitbull. That may not be your case at all wmacky... Just ranting.

How's your wife? Did the dog draw blood? Was she wearing pants and/or boots?

·
CCS# 616
915 Posts
Aren't pitbulls illegal in some parts of Florida?

I think thats only down in broward and dade county. I know every dog is different and there are a lot of sweet pit bulls, but it is just crazy how many seem to get involved in terrible incidents. My guess is it is mainly the stereotypical neglectful owners of these dogs which lead to this kind of stuff.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Well I'm sorry to hear about your wife getting bit that sucks.

But how in the hell do you get bit by a dog riding a motorcycle?
OP, hope your wife is okay.

Jo - For a rusty/inexperienced rider (lacking confidence), easily. When I was down in Florida last year there was a big dog with shithead owners that would run around off-leash. The first day I was down there he chased me down the street on the bike; I was capable and confident enough to play the "gas it and go" game, but he was still there waiting for me to park in the driveway...

For a new rider, if there were things like traffic or traffic lights at play especially... it's perfectly believable.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
lol at the "don't blame it on the pitbull" comments.

Alright- I'm not bashing dogs. Pitbulls are misunderstood, and the owners are the ones to blame when they are aggressive.

BUT- the dog bit her. Therefore the dog is not completely fucking innocent here. If a dog bit me and I was armed, I'd be shooting it dead on the spot. Yes- ultimately the owner is the one that is fully responsible and should be punished accordingly... but if the dog is that aggressive there's a good chance it might never be able to be brought back and probably will end up getting put down.

I mean- if I got attacked by a dog, I wouldn't want it to be given the chance to be rehabilitated. I mean like if it did some serious damage, not if it was just holding on or something.

Seriously, people. I know we all love dogs, and we don't want to turn this into a pitbull bashing thread. Fine. But this dude's wife got bit by a fucking dog and you guys are saying he should go easy on the damn thing. That's fucking laughable.

By no means should he let this incident make him think that all pitbulls are bad or that the problem is the species.... but in this circumstance he NEEDS to do something about this dog.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
A real shame really. Staffordshire terriers, the main breed folks call "pit bulls" are the sweetest dogs imaginable. It must take some serious inattention or misattention to turn them so destructive. Several live in my neighborhood, and they are simply the nicest dogs.

I crying shame a dog bit the young lady while riding. I can easily see how it can happen (young lady slows down not wanting to hit the animal, gets caught and can't get away). The owner should be found and appropriately cited, before the animal causes more serious damage.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Fair enough... I guess riding horses has given me enough attention to dogs and my mode of transport. Screw the dog if it comes flying at me... I'll run its ass over. That kind of behavior can't be tolerated.

Unfortunately once it starts biting that aggressively there isn't much you can do. This wasn't a okay bite.

The dog most likely will need to be euthanaized.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts

Alright- I'm not bashing dogs. Pitbulls are misunderstood, and the owners are the ones to blame when they are aggressive.
Go re-read my post. Dogs get frightened by certain things, motorcycles being one of them. When dogs are scared they do weird shit. If she had just been walking down the street and the dog bit her I'd be 100% on your side, but knowing how freaked out my own dog (who has always been surrounded by bikes) gets when I start riding around near her, I know better than to automatically call that dog aggressive.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Go re-read my post. Dogs get frightened by certain things, motorcycles being one of them. When dogs are scared they do weird shit. If she had just been walking down the street and the dog bit her I'd be 100% on your side, but knowing how freaked out my own dog (who has always been surrounded by bikes) gets when I start riding around near her, I know better than to automatically call that dog aggressive.
It wasn't your post I was responding to. I know that dogs act funny around bicycles and motorcycles.

I ride mine past dogs ALL the time.

That being said.... I've had them run next to me, want to play, get in front... do all kinds of strange shit. I've never had one try to fucking bite me. If the dog has problems with that, it's the owners responsibility to make sure they are trained not to do that.

Also, it's the owners job to not let the dog just be out running around the neighborhood. I know that dogs sometimes get out... they are pretty crafty on occasion and can be prone to sneaking out to run around if you turn your back on them.

Anyways, if the dog actually ATTACKED this woman, and wasn't just trying to play/grabbing her foot... then there's no excuse. Dogs act funny... but they don't just turn aggressive and start attacking people when they are on bikes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
agree

BUT- the dog bit her. Therefore the dog is not completely fucking innocent here. If a dog bit me and I was armed, I'd be shooting it dead on the spot. Yes- ultimately the owner is the one that is fully responsible and should be punished accordingly... but if the dog is that aggressive there's a good chance it might never be able to be brought back and probably will end up getting put down.

I mean- if I got attacked by a dog, I wouldn't want it to be given the chance to be rehabilitated. I mean like if it did some serious damage, not if it was just holding on or something.

Seriously, people. I know we all love dogs, and we don't want to turn this into a pitbull bashing thread. Fine. But this dude's wife got bit by a fucking dog and you guys are saying he should go easy on the damn thing. That's fucking laughable.

By no means should he let this incident make him think that all pitbulls are bad or that the problem is the species.... but in this circumstance he NEEDS to do something about this dog.
^^ This

Had a friend who used to get chased on his motorcycle by a large dog at the same part of a street every time when we were teenagers. He fixed the problem on his own...instant training...he stuck his leg straight out heel first and caught the stupid mutt nose first...he never tried to bite us after that.

On the other hand, I actually own an aggressive dog that 'will' bite anyone who rides near him. If he were outside running lose, he would attack most likely anyone near. He's a friggin psycho mutt...

It's not my fault that he's psycho though...he's been that way since I got him at 4 mon old...took him to trainers, over and over again...I gave up...too much work, just feel that he's just a psycho mutt.

This dog at one year old, my 14 year old son took him for a walk, and he bit my son's friend in the back of the calf whipping around behind him while on the leash sinking his fangs deep into the muscle. When I found out about it, I was ready to haul his ass to the pound and say bye bye, no friggin dog is worth keeping if they are so paranoid aggressive that they might chomp someone. My wife an kids pleaded to keep him, so I said okay.

He's now 4 years old and still with us--and not bitten anyone since...cause I figured out how to solve the problem:
"Everytime" this dogs leaves the house...he's on a choke( bite) collar with a full muzzle strapped to his head.

The trainers could not change him, I'm not gonna try and change him now--too hard so I just have to resign, and realize what he is...a frigging guard dog.

That pit bull is not to blame, but if the owners are not going to be responsable, then it should be put down.
I would at least find the owner and sue his ass for medical and plastic surgery and whatever...I've heard that typically people are awarded around $30k to $100k for dog bites.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts