Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good friend of mine has 2 Pirelli Supercorsa SC3's, 190/55-17, for cheap that I'm khantemplating taking off his hands.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with them, particularly without tire warmers. They are the hardest compound in their race line and I'm thinking they'd be nice with a front SC2, but if they're useless without tire warmers, I'll stick with getting a set of Pilot Power 2CTs.

Y-S-A?

·
Registered
412 Posts
They don't need tire warmers. I've had all the compounds on my bike at onetime or another and they all work great. The biggest difference I noticed is that the softer compounds "go-away" quicker during a track day. We're talking lap 11,12.....depends on the track. This was also in Florida on hot days and a hot track temp. I've put more miles on the bike and tires in the Gap without riding as hard and have never had a problem. They warm up quick and are very predictable even when I did finally get them a little greasy during track days they slide very predictable.

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blake331 said:
I did finally get them a little greasy during track days they slide very predictable.
Yeah that's what I want to avoid and apparently the heat cycling is what speeds up the greasiness process. I had a set of 208GP's (med) that did the same thing but I wasn't a huge fan of the turn-in on those. I was talking to Chris from Matison about it and I might just try and sneak his tire warmers for a day if I can get in a track day when he's not racing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't mean greasy like they turn to oil, I mean at a point where I know there's a difference in performance. All tires are going to get to this point. They heat up fast and last almost a full session before fading off slightly = more time I spent knee down passing Aprilia Mille's.

Cool thing about tires is there are quite a few out there I could use and that actually do work so, use what you trust best. The Pirelli's would be a cool tire to try if you haven't. You may not want to go back to what ever your used to now.

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Speeds up" the process. I haven't invented the holy grail of tires just yet, so until then I'll have to stick with trying to slow down time, or reduce the effect.

And Blake Blake Blake... You have to get Knee-down to pass Milles? That's just so much effort. Better be careful as you're getting old... Not to mention us Aprilia Riders are just lazy. :D :)

I was pulling mid 1:43's with the BT012ss. They're awesome for half a day but then just pretty much turn to dust. Not to mention I was sucking wind after 6 laps. I get tired just thinking about it

I'm pretty sure I got mid-high 1:30s in me somewhere. Probably 4" behind the gut.

Blake331 said:
I don't mean greasy like they turn to oil, I mean at a point where I know there's a difference in performance. All tires are going to get to this point. They heat up fast and last almost a full session before fading off slightly = more time I spent knee down passing Aprilia Mille's.

Cool thing about tires is there are quite a few out there I could use and that actually do work so, use what you trust best. The Pirelli's would be a cool tire to try if you haven't. You may not want to go back to what ever your used to now.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well clearly anyone using tire warmers would have to be really fast!:fiddy

I'll be out there on my used set of Metzelers :boink

·
Registered
464 Posts
oohhh... 190/55.. yummy. That's THE size I want next, even if I do have to change the suspension setup.

Gonna have to stick to my measley Diablo Corsa III's for the time being... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts