Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well first of all i live in Cali, if that make any difference.
Anyways i am planning to buy a used SV650. After calling the owner today, he said something like.... if i buy the bike from him, i might be reciving the pink slip 10-11 days later (for some reason) but i will still get some.. liability paper to apply for insurance. Since this is my first time purchasing a vehicle.... what is the pink slip? is it ok to purchase that bike before me getting the pink slip from him?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Pink slip is the title to the bike.. and no.. that's not cool..

I would guess that the bike is not paid off and he's thinking that you have to pay him so he can pay off the bank - which will mail him the title in 10-11 days..

Better way to do it is for both of you to go to his bank or where ever he financed it - pay off the bike and have the title sent directly to you.

minimum, you need a bill of sale and have a witness.. (but still requires some trust on your part)

·
old member
13,079 Posts
+1
Sounds like he still owes money on the bike and can't pay it off until he gets money from a buyer. Once the loan is paid off, the title is re-done to remove the lien holder (bank). Agree that you and the seller should go to the bank and take care of all the paperwork. That way you end up with clean documents and should get the title from DMV mailed to you directly. You need to show up either with cash or two cahiers checks. One check for the pay-off amount (find out exactly how much and how it should be made out) and one check for the balance to the seller.

If both of you going to the bank to take care of this won't work for some reason, I'd keep looking for a bike where the seller already has the title (pink slip).

BTW, titles in CA are now multi-colored, but they used to be pink.

·
Registered
791 Posts
my 2 cents is just to not trust em and dont trust ebay.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
it depends. if he's local, my suggestion and the only way i would do it is, go to his place and go WITH him to his bank where he financed the bike. Pay the bank and get the title back so one of you have it IN HAND. If you give him the money, he can pay the bank with the money, give you the title after his bank mails him the title. HOWEVER, the risk is that... well, he can just bone out. then it's not cool. you can have a bill of sale .. kind of like a receipt, but it's not worth it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot guys, i decide to not take the risk / hassal :) since this is my first bike, im gonna be more patient and keep looking :D i got the whole summer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good move :) , A title is a very good thing to have right upfront. Also shady persons are notorious for involving non-shady persons in shady business. Watch yourself out there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts