Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the FZ1, put 8k on the current Pilot 2's, and noticed some side cupping on the front. Thought, no problem, had a lot of thread left.

Did a slab run of 160 miles and noticed that the front cupping felt the rain grooves in the concrete, which is unusual for this bike, so I knew it was the tire.

Looked VERY closely at the front, and noticed that, in spots, it was just there at the wear bars.

Looked closely at the back, and it looks new to me.

Requested the shop guy to install Power on the front, and he also wanted to install one on the back because he didn't like the mis match.

I almost said OK, but after looking at that rear tire, I told him that I'd feel guilty wasting it, but I'd watch how it handled in the twisties.

OK, did my 150 mile twistie section, taking the first half slow as I kinda work up to the trust level before doing stuff without thinking, if you know what I mean.

Second half a little hotter but still somewhat too conscious of the tire.

I get home and checked the stripes, and they looked like about 2 INCHES, I swear. I didn't know I was going that slow.

BUT on the inside of the stripes, A LOT OF WEAR.

Great. Powers will not last me even 4k, I suspect.

I was wondering what you guys get, that run Powers, in terms of mileage on street twisties.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Powers...

Strange about the strips being so wide on the PP's as they have given me the confidence to really lay it down in the corners. The left side of the tire has virtually no strip left yet the right side has some on account of me having a harder time with right turns. I'm still learning a great deal about how to ride despite being on a bike for more than 4yrs now. The Pilot's that I have seem to be alot better than the previous brand that I had when I bought the bike last year.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
A front should last you a long time, like 6-10 000 miles depending how you ride. Most people dont push near hard enough to chew up their front tire. Completely normal to kill a pp rear tire in 3000 miles though.

·
Shut the **** up and ride
5,031 Posts
You should have just wrapped a new PR2ct on there.

A PP might be a little stickier, but I would rather have just as much grip and even more mileage out of it with the PR2.

Re-read that, did you have PP2s on there originally or PR2s?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I have PPs on my 954. I’ve done 4 trackdays with them thus far and they still look to be in good shape. Sure there is normal wear on the sides as expected but I’m thinking I will get at least another 2 trackdays out of them, maybe even 4. My last trackday was 180 miles of draggin knees. I can’t really give you a number for how many miles that translates to for the street. I’m just happy that since I started doing trackdays I will finally be replacing my tires because they are worn out on the sides instead of the center.

You also mentioned your tires are cupping. I seem to remember reading that cupping could indicate a suspension problem or misalignment. I would check that out.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You also mentioned your tires are cupping. I seem to remember reading that cupping could indicate a suspension problem or misalignment. I would check that out.
We have a local suspension expert here, Evolution, where I buy tires, and he checked the suspension and it felt good to him.

By 'cupping' the front of the Pilot 2 had slight waves on the side. I never noticed any feedback from this condition on twisties, but DID notice it on the slab at freeway speeds, which are usually high in this area, 80/90 for cagers, conditions permitting.

So the front looked good with a quick look. Like all the rain grooves looked deep. But when I got home and looked closely at the sides, I could see waves in the tire and very close to the wear bars in places.

While I'm not anywhere near racer speeds, I do flick that big bike pretty hard, then I'm kinda playing around with counter steering in the turn just to have fun keeping loose. So I'm kinda thinking that this might've caused the front to wear so much faster than the rear.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re-read that, did you have PP2s on there originally or PR2s?
OK, I had PR2's.

The bike came with PR regular. Both sets were good, but the PR2's were better, and I still have pr2 on the rear.

I didn't notice any handling problems between the two tires on the first ride.

With the above rider's Power experience on the rear, I'll change out the rear with the next step down from Power, at least that's my thinking at this point, as the FZ1 is not a racer, but not a dog by any means, and I like getting some mileage.

·
Registered
645 Posts
its one of 3 things, rider error...weird braking or sliding it. Doubtful. Defective tire, again doubtful. Improper pressure an or suspension set up.

When a tire dosent wear even, and im not talking about the center only weraing. its because the pressure is off or the suspension is wrong. 99% its the suspension. your local 'expert' could very well be wrong. you cant push up and down on the bike and say it looks ok. besides setting the measurements up for the rider, a real tuner will look at how the tire is wearing, that and rider feedback. even if its only on one side and this appliees to both tires it is still a pressure and suspension problem. you may ride lefthanders harder or visa versa and it shows itself then.

if you get cupping, its most likely a rebound issue. is it on the trailing edge of the "groove" ?
I run powers on the rc and get 3-4k on a rear and 5-8k on the front depending on what is ridden. the rc is very hard on rears.

good luck, pm me if you have any questions, im no expert by any stretch but all my tires wear clean. even from brand to brand you have to adjust the bike to get everthing to run in harmony

·
Registered
579 Posts
i had PP's on my 07 750 i had 4 track days and about 2-3k miles on the street they held up fine. looked new. traded the bike in and the dealer sold it with those tires on it. lol

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its one of 3 things, rider error...weird braking or sliding it. Doubtful. Defective tire, again doubtful. Improper pressure an or suspension set up.
I rarely brake as normally run higher rpms and simply throttle back, keeping the speed on the straights about 60 due to local drive on traffic (talking about my twistie loop). Bike never slides, or if it does it's because of something on the road that someone left or highway paint, and recovery is fast.

Tire pressure. OK, I run high pressure, 36/42, because I love the handling. But I never thought that this would cause the wave/cup on the front.

If you think high pressure is causing it, I'll experiment with say 30/34, and see how they work.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I rarely brake as normally run higher rpms and simply throttle back, keeping the speed on the straights about 60 due to local drive on traffic (talking about my twistie loop). Bike never slides, or if it does it's because of something on the road that someone left or highway paint, and recovery is fast.

Tire pressure. OK, I run high pressure, 36/42, because I love the handling. But I never thought that this would cause the wave/cup on the front.

If you think high pressure is causing it, I'll experiment with say 30/34, and see how they work.
air pressure does several things, one it acts to cool the tire. and all tire will have a heat range that they work best, street tires its wider range. if you have too much are it wont let the tire heat up and you get whats called a 'cold tear'. but dont just go let air out of your tire, it also depends on riding style and your weight. on the rc i run the front powers at 33-34. 36 might be a touch high, if your getting a cold tear and not a rebound problem.

can you take a pic? what adjustments does your fork have? rebound im sure but can you adust the compression damping?

these pics show the extremes of wear, your probably dont look this bad. the 3rd tire from the left has a has a rebound issue. see how the trailing is worn or lower. the tire is ever so slightly hoping, causing it to wear

Attachments

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
36/42 seems insanely high to me for aggressive riding unless you weigh 300 lbs.

I've done three trackdays and just over 6500 kms on my pilot powers this year and they look fine.

·
Registered
645 Posts
That's most likely the pressures the manu recommends. Which are max load pressures. Like doubled up on a superslab.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
With the above rider's Power experience on the rear, I'll change out the rear with the next step down from Power, at least that's my thinking at this point, as the FZ1 is not a racer, but not a dog by any means, and I like getting some mileage.
Its probably not a bad idea. I want a second set of rims so I can have track tires and then a street combo (most likely a pp2ct front, road2 rear). There is nothing wrong with running a harder rear tire.

Jaxx I hate you for getting that kind of mileage out of those tires. :) Haha Ive killed a 2ct rear in <3500km before.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks to all the above riders. I lowered air pressure just now and will ride the loop tomorrow. I suspect that Powers run better at low pressure compared to PR2, although I did cut air out of the rear, and with the cooler weather, the heat point with less pressure is invaluable.

rob, thanks for the pics, and my front was no where near as bad, plus I left it at the tire place.

For interested riders, here's the site to our local suspension tech. Mom and Pop's, but he's great and very popular with everyone here:

Evolution Suspension

·
Always....
4,597 Posts
I have PPs on my Fizzer, and run 31 in the front and 30 in the rear as per a Michelin-tech. I think they stick like glue and but for about 1/4" of the right side of the rear that tire allows me to really lay her over. I am THRILLED with the performance, but they have only about 700 miles on them so far......dunno about lifespan, but they were great at Jennings last weekend!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks to all the above riders. I lowered air pressure just now and will ride the loop tomorrow. I suspect that Powers run better at low pressure compared to PR2, although I did cut air out of the rear, and with the cooler weather, the heat point with less pressure is invaluable.

rob, thanks for the pics, and my front was no where near as bad, plus I left it at the tire place.

For interested riders, here's the site to our local suspension tech. Mom and Pop's, but he's great and very popular with everyone here:

Evolution Suspension
:cheers no problem man, thats what this site is for! colder weather you can go lower to add some heat into the tire. and it may take several runs to smooth out that tire, if the pressure is the fix....keep us informed!

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
I have PPs on my Fizzer, and run 31 in the front and 30 in the rear as per a Michelin-tech.
I'm running my Pilot Powers at 35 PSI front and 33.3 PSI rear. I get 12,000+ miles out of a rear and could get more than that out of the front, but prefer to swap them both at the same time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts