Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I raced Daytona back on October 18th. And for anyone who's never ridden Daytona, it's a blast. It's a very high speed track that has those amazing high banks. And I thought I'd share one lap around the entire thing.

**All these photos are screen grabs from my GoPro that's mounted to the front of my race bike**

To start, here's 2 maps of the racetrack to put things into perspective.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So 1st, you have to get a spot on the paddock. The ones with large wallets (not this guy) rent out garage space that can cost many hundreds of dollars. Us budget racers just bring a pop up.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They overhead page with the audio system what group is up to race or practice. And when it's your time, you leave your paddock spot and head for the track. There's people everywhere directing you where to go.

On your way to the track, you'll point towards the track (pic 1), turn right (pic 2), go past Victory Lane (pic 3) and ultimately end up in the guided area to get you on the track (pic 4). Once you go through that hole in the fenceline in pic 4, you're facing pit row and the front straight of the track (pic 5).

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point, you turn left onto pit row and you're parallel to the track (pic 1). As you go down pit lane, you come up on turn 1 (pic 2). During practice, for safety purposes, you can see that you're separated from the race line. (pic 2 also). Turn 1 is a full U that leads to a switch back that leads to turn 3, the International Horseshoe. You can see in pic 3 that you're still separated from the race line going into the Horseshoe. (this is for practice sessions only).

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you come out of the Horseshoe, you join the race line that goes into a nice long straight (pics 1 and 2). This takes you up to the left hand turn 4 (pic 3), which leads to the 2nd International Horseshoe and into a another straightaway (pic 4 and 5).

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now comes my favorite part of the track. That straight leads to a left hander (pic 1 and 2). There's a little dip as you cross onto the NASCAR part of the track (you can see it in pic 2) that makes you realize how important your suspension set up is.

Then comes the adrenaline. As you exit, it shoots you up onto the high banks of NASCAR turns 1 and 2 (pic 2). There are only a few feelings I can think of that's is exciting as running high on that wall at triple digits (pic 3). It's also a little scary!! LOL

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exiting NASCAR turn 2 is the back straight (pic 1). In this section, you'll carry speeds up to 190mph (if your bike is powerful enough, and you've got the bizzalls). For the road course, there's a chicane near the end of that back straight (pic 2), and then you shoot back up onto the high banks of NASCAR turns 3 and 4 and then down the front straight/tri oval (pics 3 and 4).

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This leads us down the front straight and back to turn 1 (you can see the pit row entry section on the left of the pic).

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Fucking.
Amazeballs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts