1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
BIIIIG scorpion !

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
How is that a pet? Can you pet it or enjoy its company? Just seems like a thing to own for bizarre amusement. Am I missing the point of having a giant mouse killing bug?

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
f2benny said:
How is that a pet? Can you pet it or enjoy its company? Just seems like a thing to own for bizarre amusement. Am I missing the point of having a giant mouse killing bug?
The point of my scorpion was not to have a cuddle buddy. His aquarium sat right above my computer so it was like having the discovery channel on 24/7 when I looked up. He was facinating and very low maintenance. If you are looking for something low maintenance but don't want fish I recomend one. I mean the damn thing can live for a month with no food and almost no water. (I don't recomend testing this if you get one and want him to live a long time) The point is I never had to worry about him if I needed to leave for the weekend or anything. Plus I have Titan our pit bull to fill the role of cuddle buddy. He thinks he is a real lapdog but he can almost kick me out of the bed with those muscular legs. Unfortunatley Frank died a few months ago of old age so I don't have any pics of him eating anything else. He lived a full scorpion life of almost 7 years.

I never tryed to pet him or pic it up. They don't like it and get real stressed out. They also live a lot longer if your not always poking and grabbing them. Black emporers aren't very poisonous though so, if you wanted to, you could pic him up with only a risk of allergic reaction.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I appreciate the aquarium fish analogy. I think it would be pretty interesting having him nearby to look at. Excellent shots-what else do they eat? Plus you drop him down the back of your enemy's shirt like in Diamonds are Forever.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That is cool. I love odd things for pets. When I live up north I had Pirahanas. I had a couple of emporer scorpions and tarantuals. Down here in Florida at my brothers house I have a Burmese Python, and a Retic Python. Those are cool too. But they grow fast. I never gave my scorpion a pinky though... hmmmmm :)

Nice pet :)

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I named him after Frank in Donnie Darko. He reminded me of that scary ass rabbit guy. He mostly ate crickets, spiders, roaches, or whatever was unlucky enough to come in my house/yard.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Im actually thinking about getting one. How big of a tank do you need?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thats tight! Would suck to be the mouse...but pets like that scorp can be fun.

Anyone here ever own an oscar? GREAT fish...They are vicious mofos with insatiable appetites. They will eat anything...LOTS of anything, if you put five smaller fish in their tank they'll have 4 in their gut with number 5 half sticking out when you come back...and they love crawfish. :headbang

I love my oscar "Jabba" :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Heh, my albino california kingsnake Buck is also a cool pet.. He doesn't like being handled, but it's fun to let him out and watch him slither away faster than I can catch him :D

I feed him fullsize mice, but his favorite meal is when I find a garden snake or rat snake in my backyard. Plus if I make him mad, he curls up like a rattle snake and wiggles his tail.. guess it's to trick predators in the wild. I guess he can't tell he's white as a sheet and looks nothing like a rattle snake.

Cool scorpian man, I was gonna get one a while ago.. this made me want one again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i had a 100gal tank with tropical saltwater triggerfish. I used to drop in a goldfish once a day and they would just tear it up. My friend has piranahs (dunno what kind) but they're too little to feed anything big yet. He also has some largemouth bass in another thank that he caught, those are cool too.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I've had a couple scorpions and tarantulas. Picked them all up often and never once got bit/stung. One tarantula used to hang out on top of my head.
I got to see one tarantula shed his skin. That was cool. And left over was a perfect rendition of my spider in an empty husk. Good for freaking people out without danger to the real mccoy. Just snatch the scorpion up by his tail near the stinger. Done right, he'll just freeze in position. Once their legs hit surface, they are cool again.
Besides, with rare exception, the scorpions you can buy are no worse than a bee sting (almost same chemicals) if you do pi$$ one off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts