Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a special technique to picking up a bike that you dropped on the ground? It seems as though the average weight (300-400) of a bike would be too heavy for anyone person to life the bike back on two wheels.

Anyone have input on this. Thanks in advance.

Jim

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Your weakness is the flame of innovation.

·
Registered
304 Posts
In my opinion, you should squat down with your back to the bike, with one hand on the bar on that side, and the other on the tank or seat, then stand up/walk backwards, using your legs without hurting your back.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I use a special technique called Getting Help. :D

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I just trun the handle bars toward myself, put my knee on the tank to brace myself, and push it up... works for me. More then a few times, I might add... and not proud of it either. :( My Dad, when he bought my my first bike, put it down in the grass and told me till I learned to get it up straight, I wasnt allowed to ride it.... darn thing weighed a ton, an old Hurricane..

·
Registered
533 Posts
i just picked it up, doesn't seem too hard. lift with your legs like you should lift anything

if it happens you will probably be too busy being pissed off than to think about it

·
Registered
234 Posts
i dropped mine once when i was by myself and the sheer feeling of looking like an ass had my tiny ass 4'11 self picking that bike up as quick as i could. i grab one handle bar and sorta lean up and into the bike using my legs. kinda hard to explain i guess. lol

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
the last time i dropped my bike, i was so pissed off i picked it and promptly dropped it on the other side. i ended up breaking a foot peg (on the right) and the clutch lever. i was fooking pissed after the second drop.

·
Registered
206 Posts
There was a writeup about a 120# female picking up an 800#ish cruiser.

Back to the bike and hands on the bar and rear subframe. lift with your legs and she started 'moving' the bike forward in a circular motion. The circular motion shifted weight toward the tires making it easier to pick up.

It may still be linked in the archived new riders forum.

·
Registered
522 Posts
i try not to drop them :D, but try and get as much leverage as you can and the bike should come up with a little bit of effort.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all the info guys. i'll try not to drop it, but just wanted to know before hand just in case

·
Registered
213 Posts
i droped mine just the othre night in a parking lot and i was so pissed i just grabed both handle bars and heaved it up i didnt even think about how it just happened

1 - 20 of 34 Posts