Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's a good way to treat road rash? Anybody have any hints? I was taking a right hander today and the pedal touched down hard enough to take the tires off the road and I just went sliding. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, I've got a touch just under my knee and a 3by4 inch area on my right forearm. I'm putting neosporin and gauze on it, but this is going to be burning for a few days.

Oh by the way, this is on my Haro BMX bike I picked up on Friday to mess around on. You silly shits don't really think I'm a squid do ya? Pllllllllllease.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
are you suggesting put heroin on it, or asking if I'm on heroin?

Either way I think I'm going to avoid that route, I was just wondering if anybody maybe knew of something to put on there so it doesn't burn quite so much, as my job has me being in the pool 3 days a week, and road rash and water hurts like nothing else.

EDIT: Just realized this is shoulda been in the open forum, thought it was, mods take 'er away.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Shorts? Tshirt? Well anyhow I am not going to bust your balls, just answer your question.
Treat roadrash by standing in the mirror and screaming "squidtard squidtard go away go away!" then look at your roadrash, if it is still there. Repeat the above until gone.

:needpics

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
alo vera

·
Registered
910 Posts
Personally, I am fond of performing thorough mechanical debridement, followed by split-thickness skin grafting as needed. :)

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay wait, I think everyones missing the last part. I was on a bicycle. Not my Buell, a pedal bicycle.

Alaska, I'll try the aloe vera, I didn't even think of that but it makes sense, thanks man.

·
www.getrenegade.com
917 Posts
BurnMyHeartDown said:
Oh by the way, this is on my Haro BMX bike I picked up on Friday to mess around on. You silly shits don't really think I'm a squid do ya? Pllllllllllease.
I used to have a Haro back in the day, didn't know they were still around! Neosporene (spell check) & gauze is probably your best bet. Keep it moist otherwise it'll dryout & keep cracking.

·
Registered
350 Posts
ed1le said:
I used to have a Haro back in the day, didn't know they were still around! Neosporene (spell check) & gauze is probably your best bet. Keep it moist otherwise it'll dryout & keep cracking.
ahh little rasberries never killed anyone.. buck up and ride. :banana

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
tega-derm is your friend. Go to the drug store and get some. Heals real quick.

Mike - former Cat 3 road bicycle racer and skin donor.

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
Treat it like a burn. Aloe Vera will help, but what you pretty much want to do is make sure its very clean, then keep gauze bandages over it. Change those out about once a day.

The Tegaderm works to an extent. Some people rave about it, some people hate it. Personally its too weak of a barrier for me and if you touch that area of your body to anything hard, you'll really feel it. It also hurts like a sonofabitch when you take it off. Read : Big piece of clear tape

·
Registered
813 Posts
They also have an ointment to reduce scars.. use that with everything else.. (unless you want the scars to look cool)

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Pour vinegar and salt into it. It will heal right up :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't see how the pool is going to hurt you. Chlorine water always made my cuts feel better and they seemed to go away faster. Just go for a swim.

·
www.getrenegade.com
917 Posts
Ca$h said:
Pour vinegar and salt into it. It will heal right up :)
oooouuuch

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I burned myself on a pipe in HS. I tried to stay on swim team, but the chlorine was too irritating (scrapes don't heal like cuts) and encouraged an infection, in spite of a prescription burn creme. Given where your rr is you might be able to apply a waterproof solution like the gel burn pads. Be sure you've got all gravel out that you can, otherwise it will be more likely to get infected than to heal. If you get an infection, see a pro immediately.

I took a friend to the hospital with rr from his calf to his elbow (bicycle of course). They debraded (he nearly passed out), sprayed on a antiseptic (not neosporin, but similar), and wrapped loosely in gause. Because you're in the pool, that's not going to work for you. But try to keep it cool and dry, apply new antiseptic as soon as possible after getting out.

·
3 cyl r bttr thn 4
2,470 Posts
Just take a look on some of the stunt boards, Im sure someone there can help. I just cant remember the name of it but there is a really good ointment you can put on and will help wit the burning and scarring. Wish I cold remember the damn name, DOH.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts