Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who's an amateur photographer and would like to send her photos into contest and/or publishers. Does anyone have suggestions on good places to send such photos? Websites, magazines, anything really.

Thanks

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Most of those are "vanity publishers". They'll put out a book of photos and offer to sell the books to the photographers. Once they get enough takers on the book, that's whose pictures they put in it. Save your time and $$.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
You can send them to me to judge. i don't mind, really.

But actually, is she trying to model or what? Check with some local publications first then agencies. They could direct you better than any of us im sure.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Stay away from the aforementioned "book publishers" who do contests with prizes in the thousands of dollars. A legal scam, nothing more.

If she wants to get stuff published, try sending a pic in to Popular Photography magazine or Photography Monthly (UK mag), Practical Photography (also UK, been published in it twice), and Petersen's Photographic. If she wants to go pro - tell her to live, breathe, eat, sleep, dream photography and maybe she'll get there. LOL It's a rough field.

Once she gets good enough and has a couple of small publishing credits, she can put together a portfolio of her VERY BEST stuff and send that out to editors of her choice. And then send it out again, and again. Keep shooting, keep pushing, making contacts... I practically stopped shooting this year (been a pretty rough year in some ways) and have nothing to push. I was doing well last year (even got into a moto mag with a double-truck 4-page spread, and had been shooting for a local paper for a while already) and I plan to jump back on in a few weeks. Inspiration is slowly coming back as life improves...

Tell her to check www.photosig.com and Viewfinder. Photosig is a critique site. I think she'll love it. Viewfinder is a little more amateur-friendly but they're both good places. She should check out the UK mags mostly as their technique content is 100% better than the crap in Popular Photography (just my opinion). Also read American Photo and Picture for inspiration, or one of the more specialized rags (like Outdoor Photography) if it suits her better.

And when she enters any contest, she needs to be VERY, VERY CAREFUL and read ALL the fine print. Some of these contests expect that once an image is entered (even if it's not the winner), they have ALL RIGHTS to it without further (monetary) compensation. What that means is, they can use her pic for ads, promotions, etc and she'll never get a penny. So always be careful about what happens to the copyright - it should always be hers, even if they publish it and pay her for it. Full rights should only be SOLD for very high numbers, and never just given away. Even if it means not getting a photo published.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head. She's welcome to ask me anything, I was pretty much semi-pro last year and expect to get back on the horse very, very soon. My contact info is at my portfolio site in my sig.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fotocycle said:
Stay away from the aforementioned "book publishers" who do contests with prizes in the thousands of dollars. A legal scam, nothing more.

If she wants to get stuff published, try sending a pic in to Popular Photography magazine or Photography Monthly (UK mag), Practical Photography (also UK, been published in it twice), and Petersen's Photographic. If she wants to go pro - tell her to live, breathe, eat, sleep, dream photography and maybe she'll get there. LOL It's a rough field.

Once she gets good enough and has a couple of small publishing credits, she can put together a portfolio of her VERY BEST stuff and send that out to editors of her choice. And then send it out again, and again. Keep shooting, keep pushing, making contacts... I practically stopped shooting this year (been a pretty rough year in some ways) and have nothing to push. I was doing well last year (even got into a moto mag with a double-truck 4-page spread, and had been shooting for a local paper for a while already) and I plan to jump back on in a few weeks. Inspiration is slowly coming back as life improves...

Tell her to check www.photosig.com and Viewfinder. Photosig is a critique site. I think she'll love it. Viewfinder is a little more amateur-friendly but they're both good places. She should check out the UK mags mostly as their technique content is 100% better than the crap in Popular Photography (just my opinion). Also read American Photo and Picture for inspiration, or one of the more specialized rags (like Outdoor Photography) if it suits her better.

And when she enters any contest, she needs to be VERY, VERY CAREFUL and read ALL the fine print. Some of these contests expect that once an image is entered (even if it's not the winner), they have ALL RIGHTS to it without further (monetary) compensation. What that means is, they can use her pic for ads, promotions, etc and she'll never get a penny. So always be careful about what happens to the copyright - it should always be hers, even if they publish it and pay her for it. Full rights should only be SOLD for very high numbers, and never just given away. Even if it means not getting a photo published.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head. She's welcome to ask me anything, I was pretty much semi-pro last year and expect to get back on the horse very, very soon. My contact info is at my portfolio site in my sig.
Thank you so much for all the info. I passed it along and told her about your portfolio and contacting you as well. Nice work by the way. I hope you're able to get back into it and everything is going good for you.

She is really good but doesn't seem to see it. So those two sites you sent I think will be really good for her. To hear what others, besides me, think about her work. Get tips and insights and such. So that's really good for her. I told her about the magazines (for reading and sending photos in). So now it's just up to her to send them.

The part about the fine print I didn't even think about. That would be absolutely cruel to have her photos used for such and her not get credit and paid for them. I'm glad you mentioned that.

If I can I'll get her lil' photo website and send you a link to it. I think she's awesome, not just because she's my friend. Anyway, thank you again, that was very helpful. Thanks for offering to help out further as well, that means a lot. Hope things do work out for you and you can get back into it as well. You're work, from what I saw, was really good.

Thanks to all who replied, you all rock! :dblthumb

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
No prob... glad I can help. I'd love to see her pics and hear from her. Actually, while writing out the post above I kinda got inspired, and already put together a list of things I need to do to get my photography going again :)

And thanks for the kind words about my stuff :banana

1 - 6 of 6 Posts