Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any phone company besides T-mobile have an unlimited data plan anymore that is actually good and worth having? I am also hearing rumors of AT&T merging with or buying out T-Mobile.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Does any phone company besides T-mobile have an unlimited data plan anymore that is actually good and worth having? I am also hearing rumors of AT&T merging with or buying out T-Mobile.
The merger got shot down last year.

T-mobile's "unlimited" isn't really unlimited unless you're grandfathered in, they cap your speed after 4 gigs now. The only actual unlimited that I hear is true is Sprint.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yea, I have a truly unlimited plan thru T-Mobile, using the Samsung Galaxy S3. 105 a month, then I get a 15% military discount.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Yea, I have a truly unlimited plan thru T-Mobile, using the Samsung Galaxy S3. 105 a month, then I get a 15% military discount.
Read the small print. It's unlimited in the sense that you can use a ton of data, but they reserve the right to cap your speeds to 2g levels once you hit over that 4 gig cap.

Sprint's data is actually unlimited without capping your speeds.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I did, my phone notified me at 2 gig by detault. , I called my agent to complain, as I was specifically told I my plan was unlimited. It is. I'm at 7 gig now, with no slow apparent.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I am starting to wish i hadn't sold my sprint iPhone. Great...

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I had to give up my unlimited data with Verizon. I use too much to have to pay for a tiered system. So Sprint it is.

It's okay. It's not as good as Verizon but it's more than manageable. I think what annoys my the most is that when I am on a wi fi network it doesn't seem noticeably better.

Ah well.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How on earth do you guys use so much data?!
web browsing and facebook. At work I use my web browsing to look up information and how to videos that go along with the equipment i work with. Ironically many of the websites that host government equipment is blocked on our government computers (to include Symantec on some systems). At home when ever our internet is down and i can't use wifi (like recently) i use my phone's data for all my internet needs and email monitoring.

And while i use facebook for the social life 80% of the time, it is also the fastest easiet way to keep in touch with my family across the country, especially when any of us get new numbers.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Oh yeah ... data.

December 26- January 3 at 1.02gb. Fuck you Verizon and your two gb tier.

And I listen to I<3radio music off of if my amazon cloud playerb and also Netflix. Out adds up quickly.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I was at 9gig last month. First month with 4g tho. I normally do 6gig but I have done 13gig before. I'm grandfathered in with Verizon. I stream pandora/spotify when im on the bike or in the car. It adds up quick on long trips.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I've had a smartphone for over 2 years. Never broke 150MB in a month.

But then I haven't had to deal with workplaces for a while...got laid off in 2009 and I've been living as a student the whole time I've had the phone. We'll see what happens when I get back into the workforce....but up until now the only time I've burned data has pretty much been in a car or a few minutes of other stuff here and there. At home and school I've always had regular wifi.

And Jo...wifi won't be faster than 4G in most cases - 4G is _way_ faster than most people's home internet connections (unless you have FIOS).

People who don't need more usually stick with the ~ 5, 10 maybe 15mbit downlink speeds on their home internet. Around here, 4G is 3-4 times that.

Edit: Well, now I have broken that. For the past 2 years I've had a data plan with a 150M limit and made sure not to bust it. Don't have that plan anymore so I'll use a bit more...but I just don't see burning the kind of data some of you do. Heh. Maybe I'll discover the "magic" of pandora or something, but I doubt it. I'm just not that much of a music head...I don't listen to stuff just to have it on...and I just haven't gotten into any particular music in a long time. There's lots of stuff I "can" listen to, but nothing I really "want" to listen to most of the time.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
t- mobile does have an real unlimited, its new as of September. i picked up a nexus 4 and am rocking $30 a month for 5GB and 100min on t-mobile prepay, its fantastic, phone will be paid for in savings in april

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Mostly run off 3g. They are promising 4g lte towers but I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Sounds like around here.

T-mobile had "4G" speeds first....Verizon has had 4G here for ~ 20 months....USC came online a month or two ago....but no sign of sprint.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts