Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alright I am looking at new phones. and have a few questions.

1. I am thinking a unlocked phone is a good idea however, I am reading that it can cause issues with services like texts or voicemail. true?

2. I'm seeing some phones listed as international. other than the obvious being able to use it in other countries, what advantage does it offer for national service? I was thinking more options of carriers?

3. which brings up my next question, will an unlocked phone work with all carriers networks or am I still limited who I can choose? because some are cdma and some are gsm and from what I'm gathering so far is it will still only work on one or the other and can't be changed. for example if it's a cdma I can only choose verizon or sprint. it will not work for att because they use gsm.

If any of you know how to unlock phones I want to talk to you. I have a HTC ONE SV and it seems cricket has locked it down with their own firmware so I cannot unlock it or root it.
HTC makes a bootloader unlock but following the directions I cannot get it to work on this phone. It gives me an error in the command prompt when I type the code htc says to type. and during the computer connection process my computer cannot see the phone which is another problem because the software has to be able to connect to it. (window 7 ultimate) so it's a double whammy. unlocking the bootloader is the first step of rooting it. so I cannot root the phone now.

this is why I wish to buy a unlocked phone. cricket gave me the unlock code but they will not tell me the steps to unlock it. not a big deal except they got bought by att and now I have to buy another phone and I just bought this one a year ago and I'm a bit pissed off about it.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I don't put to much pressure on a phone purchase when the life of a phone is only 2 years or less.

Currently using the LG Vista G.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thats unreasonable. These are not old flip phones. Smart phones are very expensive hand held computers. I expect to be able to keep it for 5 or more years.
If you keep trying to update all the apps and the os all the time thats when you start to get issues. I made the mistake installing android 4.2.2 on tjis phone. I hate everything about it.

For example weather bug used to have the absolute best animated radar now its latest version it doesnt even work. Read the feedback for it. I had to install weather underground. Decent but doesnt hold a candle to the old weather bug.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I can answer #2.

An International phone has to be able to recognize ALL the cellphone bands (such as 3g, 4g, 800mhz & 1900 mhz), and an Int'l phone has like 12 to 15 different frequency bands.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
alright I am looking at new phones. and have a few questions.

1. I am thinking a unlocked phone is a good idea however, I am reading that it can cause issues with services like texts or voicemail. true?

I've unlocked phones and loaded other OS setups. Never had an issue with texts or voicemail

2. I'm seeing some phones listed as international. other than the obvious being able to use it in other countries, what advantage does it offer for national service? I was thinking more options of carriers?

Recognizes all radio bands since some countries only have certain bands

3. which brings up my next question, will an unlocked phone work with all carriers networks or am I still limited who I can choose? because some are cdma and some are gsm and from what I'm gathering so far is it will still only work on one or the other and can't be changed. for example if it's a cdma I can only choose verizon or sprint. it will not work for att because they use gsm.

No. It's going to depend on whether you're sim, or no sim. Verizon and Sprint both operate without a sim card (CDMA). ATT, Tmobile, Metro, and I believe Virgin use sim cards (GSM) Otherwise with a dual band phone you can jump carriers. For awhile You couldn't switch from ATT to Tmobile with certain phones because you'd lose 3g capability because the phones could only work on one frequency

If any of you know how to unlock phones I want to talk to you. I have a HTC ONE SV and it seems cricket has locked it down with their own firmware so I cannot unlock it or root it.
HTC makes a bootloader unlock but following the directions I cannot get it to work on this phone. It gives me an error in the command prompt when I type the code htc says to type. and during the computer connection process my computer cannot see the phone which is another problem because the software has to be able to connect to it. (window 7 ultimate) so it's a double whammy. unlocking the bootloader is the first step of rooting it. so I cannot root the phone now.

Check the XDA forums, I'm sure someone has an answer for you. It's been awhile since I've rooted because I've been trying to pick up Nexus line phones and they come with a Vanilla build so none of that proprietary bullshit software is on there

this is why I wish to buy a unlocked phone. cricket gave me the unlock code but they will not tell me the steps to unlock it. not a big deal except they got bought by att and now I have to buy another phone and I just bought this one a year ago and I'm a bit pissed off about it.

Answers in bold.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There is bootloader unlock (good, rooting, flashing new ROM) and a carrier unlock (can be used for different networks), some require SIM switch.
Usually there is a unlock menu in settings on the phone for SIM unlock, Google is your friend.
In Winders 7 it is usually administration issue or driver or both. There are some programs that can do a one click root without bootlaoder unlock.
I started with the OG Droid and then a crappy LG Spectrum, both bootloader unlocked and rooted.
I use openSUSE, so Winders is not my strong point.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is bootloader unlock (good, rooting, flashing new ROM) and a carrier unlock (can be used for different networks), some require SIM switch.
Usually there is a unlock menu in settings on the phone for SIM unlock, Google is your friend.
In Winders 7 it is usually administration issue or driver or both. There are some programs that can do a one click root without bootlaoder unlock.
I started with the OG Droid and then a crappy LG Spectrum, both bootloader unlocked and rooted.
I use openSUSE, so Winders is not my strong point.
Ive been googling the shit out of this and can't find anything solid about this phone.

when I insert a different sim in this phone it does not ask for the unlock code like phones are supposed to.
others on cricket forums have successfully rooted this phone but I follow their steps and it will not produce the same results.
I'm about to just say fuck it. too bad this is actually a phone with great features.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ive been googling the shit out of this and can't find anything solid about this phone.

when I insert a different sim in this phone it does not ask for the unlock code like phones are supposed to.
others on cricket forums have successfully rooted this phone but I follow their steps and it will not produce the same results.
I'm about to just say fuck it. too bad this is actually a phone with great features.
Maybe you soft bricked it?
Is there a recovery that you can do in recovery mode? If so, recover to stock and try again. Should be a button sequence to get into stock recovery mode, not Clockworkmod or TWRP.
That thing with the com not picking up the phone up may be tied to the SIM acknowledgment.
Try another com and see if it works in a different one.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
bang for luck, i focus more on getting into a plan for my needs and a phone under a promo. everything else is secondary and can be worked around. if you really need something unlocked or international, that doesn't involve a basic smart phone, you're a poweruser and should know what you need. it sounds more like a matter of want.

I've been thinking about this same issue ever since I started using smart phones. I've never went that route because it was never a significant need...just a want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts