Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished the break in period (1048 miles) and as it was such a sunny day here in Seattle, yesterday, I decided to go for a local ride.

Before I get flamed, I was on a clear stretch of road and opened up the throttle to see how the bike performed.

This highway has a slight raised bridge and a right sweeping curve as you head north.

The rear end started to get very loose as I rounded the curve at 110 mph so I looked ahead and around the curve, gently closed the throttle, coming to a stop just before the first set of lights.

I knew then that I had a complete puncture as looked down at the rear tire.
The bike was in neutral and I selected first gear to pull to the side of the road when all of a sudden the bike stalled (clutch lever pulled all the way in).

Tried to select other gears and no joy, bike is "stuck" in gear and clutch would not "break" the drive.

My friend had to call a local tow company to retrieve the bike and take me home as I had no phone numbers on my cell phone (I do have now!!).

Had the tire deflated seconds earlier I would have been in a different situation but as I used to race pedal cycles and had numerous punctures at various speeds on mountain descents, I think this may of helped me out of what could have been a serious situation.

At least I didn't drop the bike and nobody was hurt!

So, today I am going to get the Yamaha extended warranty and with any luck the bike may be ready next week.
As a mater of interest, the rear tire was a Dunlop high speed tire which will be replaced by a Bridgestone tire as I refuse to buy Michelin tires after the Formula 1 debacle at Indy (have been an F1 fan for many years, being from the UK).

Guys/girls, check those tires out and make sure condition and pressures are correct for your journey.

Thanks for taking time to read my post..

·
Squidtastical
349 Posts
I know from experience that if your stock Battlax tires begin to howl at about 50mph, you need to put about 5 lbs of air in them. You got lucky around that corner! I dont understand how your clutch was effected by a flat tire????

PS, I dont like michelin either.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
What is the storey with the "debacle"?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They (Michelin) could not assure the safety of their tires for the complete race and speed just before the straight away (start/finish section) after ralf's Toyota had a complete left rear failure entering the start/finish straight.

This after Zonta (also Toyota) had a similar failure on a different part of the track, although his car did not hit any banking!
Glad both drivers were OK, safety first.

Although the surface has been upgraded at Indy, Michelin failed to get a compound for their tires that suited the racing speeds. Bridgestone, however, managed to produce a fine tire. I don't know why Michelin could not do the same as their competitor, since the track never moves from it's position and both tire produces have previous data from many other events held at the track, albeit at much different speeds for various types of race cars.

Well, seeing 6 cars in a so called race in my opinion is a farce and the peeps who went to see a race should be given their money back or at the very least free tickets to a GP in America, if one is held after this debacle.

Footnote: Clutch problem being looked at as bike would not let me select other gears, but I am thinking this may have been due to the "rim" trying to rotate when I selected first, but unable due to puncture

Later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts