Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellows New Jersey riders.
A petition was opened to allow us sharing lane with cars (lane split) in our state. This rule applies in California and in the entire World. It reduce congestion in warm months, and also eliminate rear-end accidents, as well as prevent riders from getting overheating in hot weather among other things.
Please find a minute of your time to click on this link, and fill out the petition. The more riders contributes, more chance we will have to be heard.

Thank you.

https://www.change.org/petitions/ne...-body-legalize-lane-splitting-for-motorcycles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fellows New Jersey riders.
A petition was opened to allow us sharing lane with cars (lane split) in our state. This rule applies in California and in the entire World. It reduce congestion in warm months, and also eliminate rear-end accidents, as well as prevent riders from getting overheating in hot weather among other things.
Please find a minute of your time to click on this link, and fill out the petition. The more riders contributes, more chance we will have to be heard.

Thank you.

https://www.change.org/petitions/ne...-body-legalize-lane-splitting-for-motorcycles
lets hope for the best

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
lets hope for the best
I'd be amazed if it flew.

I have sources on the inside, it will never get a NJDOT recommendation, much less make it to Trenton.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can never understand why AMA is always fighting against the helmet laws (which is fine by me too), yet no word about lane sharing...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would love to see this happen although not my area, the more it comes up the more likely it is to come up for discussion in other states. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I would love to see this happen although not my area, the more it comes up the more likely it is to come up for discussion in other states. Good Luck!
Without trying nothing will move. I know many states have such petitions open. In the end maybe it will be a chance to push it thru.
Entire World having it besides USA... We have more restrictions , imposed on us here by Big Brother, than in Europe. Takling about a most free country...Not anymore.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I signed, using the address of my company's NJ office.

I know it's a long shot now, but I think it's good for riders to get politically involved so that over time things like this can happen. There's a good case to be made that, since the era of massive road building is over, we need to get smarter about getting the most use out of what we have. Letting two-wheeled vehicles make use of the space between lanes can reduce congestion, which is good for everyone.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Without trying nothing will move. I know many states have such petitions open. In the end maybe it will be a chance to push it thru.
Entire World having it besides USA... We have more restrictions , imposed on us here by Big Brother, than in Europe. Takling about a most free country...Not anymotr.
I agree, it definitely needs to start somewhere though hoping some states will follow California. Especially with the results that have been seen from California's lane splitting.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I'd be amazed if it flew.

I have sources on the inside, it will never get a NJDOT recommendation, much less make it to Trenton.
Unfortunately I believe you. Govco isn't big on giving up power or changing things. Govco isn't very good about reacting to data. Govco only cares that cagers get pissed when bikers ride by lane-splitting. All other concerns are secondary.

I wonder how many bikers are in the NJ state government.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How does lane splitting make anything safer? From what I have seen, in CA they do it between the HOV lane and the second leftmost lane. The difference is a wide area in between these. We do not have that in NJ. Having said that, I would love to lane split as traffic on the NJ parkway is awful.

I will sign the petition because it will reduce traffic congestion NOT because it would make anything safer.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
How does lane splitting make anything safer? From what I have seen, in CA they do it between the HOV lane and the second leftmost lane. The difference is a wide area in between these. We do not have that in NJ. Having said that, I would love to lane split as traffic on the NJ parkway is awful.

I will sign the petition because it will reduce traffic congestion NOT because it would make anything safer.
I went to school in California for 4 years and I loved lane splitting! They do it between all lanes there but the most common is the far left lane because that's the fast lane obviously. They don't have car pool lanes everywhere.
Anyways I felt way safer rolling past everybody up to the front of a stoplight knowing I wouldn't be rear ended by a distracted driver.

·
CCS# 616
915 Posts
I highly doubt those petiton websites have ever influenced any goal they are protesting for. I also doubt the right eyes will ever see it (or care).

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts

Mainly it reduces the risk of getting rearended in slow traffic. It also simply reduces the time of exposure of the bike to traffic, since they can filter on through and out and spend less time stuck in it. It also reduces fatigue in the clutch hand, and some other minor effects, but mainly the first two.

In CA, it can be done between any two lanes. Most common is between the fast lane and the #2 lane. In the wide area between the HOV lane and the first regular lane is not recommended, as (like the shoulder) debris tends to accumulate there. In the HOV lane is OK, usually to the right of the cars.

PhilB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts