Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.marylandmva.com/MVAProg/moto/basicrider.htm

Is that course(BRC) the same as MSF, I've asked a few people and they've said yes but the more I read it seems otherwise, that course is required in Maryland to get your license....and I thought the MSF was something you didn't HAVE to take but it was good for a rider with little or no experience.

I just have a few questions for anyone that might know.

1) How old do you have to be to take part in this course?
2) Do you have to have your motorcycle permit to take this course?
3) Through what months are classes available?

Even though some of these are somewhat answered on some of the links on there site it contradicts itself many times, so I was hoping someone could answer from experience.

·
Registered
194 Posts
1.Not sure
2.Dont think so. If you have had your permit for a spefic amount of time then at the end of the course you can take your riders test there.
3.You have to check the schedule. Sign up now it fills up fast.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Yes the BRC is the same. It actually is the MSF Basic Rider Course. The months will vary from location to location on when it is offered. No you don't need a license or a permit to take the course. It is not required in MD to take the course however I STRONGLY recommend it. If you pass the MSF course you automatically get your license/M endorsement. I don't know the min age though. I would assume it would be the same age that is required for your regular license. Again I don't know just assuming.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I am going to take it, the only reason I asked if you had to take it or if it was voluntary because I knew that the MSF was voluntary, so if this course wasnt, well then it couldnt be the right course. Circular reasoning hahah. Anyway thanks for your help. I'll call them in a few months when it gets closer to the time.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Its Sparks said:
Ya I am going to take it, the only reason I asked if you had to take it or if it was voluntary because I knew that the MSF was voluntary, so if this course wasnt, well then it couldnt be the right course. Circular reasoning hahah. Anyway thanks for your help. I'll call them in a few months when it gets closer to the time.
It does fill up FAST! So if your going to try and take it sign up as early as you can.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Participation in a motorcycle rider course is voluntary except for individuals under the age of 18. Anyone under the age of 18 must complete either the Basic Rider Course or the Alternate Basic Rider Course before applying for a motorcycle license.

http://www.marylandmva.com/MVAProg/moto/default.htm

I took it just so I could use their motorcycles. I did the BRC 2 class which only took 1 day and it was all outside riding except for the written exam at the end.

·
Registered
45 Posts
so basically i could just opt out of the course and just do the written exam? i already know how to ridefrom back in my country.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
You would have to take the written test and the road test. If you complete the MSF course you take the written and road test as a part of the course.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
YARDMAN said:
so basically i could just opt out of the course and just do the written exam? i already know how to ridefrom back in my country.
No. You don't have to take the class, but if you don't you have to take a written and riding test at the MVA, on your bike. They'll fail you if you show up riding on a learner's without having a riding partner who is fully licensed. They'll also fail you if your bike isn't properly insured and tagged and doesn't pass a cursory safety inspection. And, of course, they'll fail you if you don't pass either exam or the eye test.

In the class, you'll be tested on a school bike, but you'll still have to take the eye test at the MVA.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ok thanx for clearing that up. ill pass the written and the eye test.its been a few years since iv ridden since i moved here. ill see i might take the course or practice and go to the mva.

·
Registered
120 Posts
well i did it through BRC 2 class, I had gotten my permit first but didnt have a bike to ride though, so really only getting the permit really didnt help me or was needed.

my friends got their permit first and then just rode their bikes around the neighborhood and then I actually got my full license before them since taking the class you get everything done in one day without owning your own bike.

you dont have to take another written test at the mva if you have your permit already, you just need to have you permit for a few weeks i think then go take the riding test on your bike or someone elses that has a full class M already and they have to ride the bike for you to the MVA. which i did for a friend.

the reason why you have to take a written and riding at the MSF course is because you do not need to have a permit to take the class. so you have to take both test (written and riding) at once.

if you dont have your own bike yet I would say take the msf course to get everything done without having you have your own bike or even using your bike if u have one. just use theirs.

also if you fail the written or riding, you can come back and take either one or both maybe one more time in a different class.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright so based on what people have said, this is what I should do? When I'm 16 and 4 months(Which I was told was the minimum age for taking the BRC and going to get your license) I go take that course, then get my learners??? Or can I just go from the BRC straight to the MVA to take the test for the license?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Jim correct me if I am wrong, but if you take the MSF when your at the right age you get your license when you pass MSF. You don't have to do anything at the MVA other then take an eye test. I am not sure because of the age issue. I know when I did it I took the MSF and then got a letter to take to MVA showing I passed, they gave me an eye test and then my "M" endorsement.

·
Registered
778 Posts
kneedraggin650s said:
Jim correct me if I am wrong, but if you take the MSF when your at the right age you get your license when you pass MSF. You don't have to do anything at the MVA other then take an eye test. I am not sure because of the age issue. I know when I did it I took the MSF and then got a letter to take to MVA showing I passed, they gave me an eye test and then my "M" endorsement.
I did the same thing, they gave me a paper I took it to the MVA, got the M on my license and took the eye test. That about sums it up..

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kneedraggin650s said:

Say that were true, what is that age? 16 and 4 months..? I know to get your leaners for motorcycle license is also 15 and 9 months. So you think if I just took the BRC which is the same as the MSF or so I've been told then they will give me a completion card and I just go straight to the MVA and take an eye test and thats it?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Thats what I am unsure about. The min. age to enroll in MSF is 16 and 4 months, but I don't know if there is a min age to bypass the MVA test. Jim is an MSF instructor and he could answer it positively. I can only give you my experiences.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh alright ya I checked this other thread and he had said that the min. age was 16 and 4 months for the courses. So is it worth it to go get my motorcycle license at 15 and 9 months or should I not bother?

·
Registered
45 Posts
kool ok well ill take the msf

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
jim schmidt said:
No. You don't have to take the class, but if you don't you have to take a written and riding test at the MVA, on your bike.

They'll fail you if you show up riding on a learner's without having a riding partner who is fully licensed.

They'll also fail you if your bike isn't properly insured and tagged and doesn't pass a cursory safety inspection.

And, of course, they'll fail you if you don't pass either exam or the eye test.

In the class, you'll be tested on a school bike, but you'll still have to take the eye test at the MVA.
Think about the above statements and you decide. I will strongly recommend the MSF course, I will also tell you that street time in a car is EXTREMELY important to riding (IMHO.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts