Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay,

I have a question.

I am looking for the PERFECT STREET MOTORCYCLE.

here is what I mean by perfect. this isn't a race bike, so I don't need a racer/SS ergo's, so I don't want to eat my knee's and the controls should be above the gas tank. This isn't a cruiser as I do want some ground clearence. I would like to do some touring so a supple seat and some wind protection would be nice. I would like to tour, but don't want something so cumbersome that it's impossible to get around town on, so full dresser's or tourers need not apply. Also, it doesn't need 130 horsepower, or to be 600+ pounds.

So what is the PERFECT motorcycle?

Is it the Yamaha FZ1? what about the Ducati MultiStrada, or the Honda VFR? Does BMW make the perfect motorcycle?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
sv OR vfr

well looky here, i have both..... :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
'05 Speed Triple

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
FZ1or FZ6, SV650 or 1000, VFR, Busa, YZF600R, Speed Triple Almost all BMW's, There are a ton of them. It is up to you on how much power you want, What looks exp. naked or with fairings. What brand do you perfer.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
The local bike night is effectivly put on but the Ducati dealer and lemme tell you about those damned Multistraddas. Apparently they're some of the best fuckin bikes in the world. One guy says it's a better sportbike than his former Aprilla.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've always heard good things about the SV's....

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I would say Speed Triple, as a few others have said... i love them and WILL get one when i can ride better.

BUT- it's important to sit on EVERY bike you can find and get what you like.
everybody is different, so you'll have to decide for yourself in the end.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ASCI_Blue said:
The local bike night is effectivly put on but the Ducati dealer and lemme tell you about those damned Multistraddas. Apparently they're some of the best fuckin bikes in the world. One guy says it's a better sportbike than his former Aprilla.
I am not quite sure what you mean by that. Because one guy says it, that doesn't make it gospel.

Also to those of you that said the SV, it's a great bike, down on horsepower and there is no wind protection (look at what I own)

I am just curious to hear what everybody thinks. Also, with Racer Ergo's that doesn't just mean the seat to handle bar arrangement it also means the foot peg to seat relation

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd have to say BMW is what you want. Shaft drivetrain instead of chain.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
clearwaterms said:
Also to those of you that said the SV, it's a great bike, down on horsepower and there is no wind protection (look at what I own)
HMM.......my bike will break all the speed limits in the land.......so do you really need hp? and isn't torque more important for street riding then hp?

wind protection......bah.....wienie. though we do have a Givi windscreen, havent put it back in since last trackday.

·
On 2 wheels...
209 Posts
Yamaha FZ6...

Fuel injection, aluminum frame, under-tail exhaust, perfect ergos, very controllable power low in the rpm's, but really rocks higher up, 423 lbs dry, 52 mpg... all for $6100 (what I paid). Never mind that it's such a sexy looking bike! :eek:nfloor

Ok, so I'm a little biased... :cheers

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RACER X said:
HMM.......my bike will break all the speed limits in the land.......so do you really need hp? and isn't torque more important for street riding then hp?

wind protection......bah.....wienie. though we do have a Givi windscreen, havent put it back in since last trackday.
for touring, I would like a little wind protection and a touch more horsepower (I am a big guy, at 6'2 and 220 pounds) for around town and 300 mile days, this bike is as close to perfect as any. But I would like to get into 500 and 600 mile days and some wind protection would be nice

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
so now it's touring vs street..........VFR then

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RACER X said:
so now it's touring vs street..........VFR then
sorry, I meant a street bike that CAN do everything that you would do legally on the roads. So maybe my requirements were misguided. I do agree the VFR is one hell of a bike. because its not so heavy that it's no fun around town, it has good ground clearence, comfortable ergo's, wind protection. it will also unravel a nice ribbon of twisties roads at a rapid pace

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well I have heard great things about the Sprint, and it feels comfy enough in the showroom. Doesn't look to shabby either.

Attachments

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i like the look of the new sprints.....i'd consider it for a VFR replacement.......

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Just a quick rundown of bikes I know about.. may not tell you what to buy, but will help you some to mark off the list.

My superhawk was pretty good cross of sport and comfort, but had poor touring qualities (in that it has terrible tank range. Best distance on a tank was 108 on mountain roads regular pace, worst was 79 hauling ass on mountain roads).

Magna was really nice for distance and street riding, but suffers from a little bit of cruiser handling.

Some friends of mine ride BMW R1100S and K1200LTs and they are always cruising fast for hours on end. LT is probably a little big for the street but that R1100S is sweet and might fit the bill.

Just for the record. RC51 and DUC 916 make for the world's worst street bikes (but incredible on the track!)

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
StormHawk said:
Well I have heard great things about the Sprint, and it feels comfy enough in the showroom. Doesn't look to shabby either.
I'd suggest the same ...Triumph Sprint ST, had a go on one recently and it's a lovely motor, very smooth and that triple sounds just wonderful...my next bike for def.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
'05 Speed Triple
My best bike so far, but has nil when it comes to wind protection.

I'm guessing the closest thing to a "perfect" bike will be some sort of Beemer. As long as you don't include good looks in your criteria.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
The VFR is a 'do everything' bike. It has some downsides which are weight and an intermittent flat spot/surging that honda refuses to address. On the upside it is super comfy, has good torque, is quiet, good wind protection, looks great and handles well. The sprint may be a good option as well.

If you want smaller the F4i might be something to think about as well. Outfitted right it is a very capable sport tourer cause of good ergos and I'm sure is a blast to ride around town.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts