Sport Bikes banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had 4 punctures in 2 years. I didn't trust plugs so the first 2 times, I replaced the tire. Considering one had barely 500 km on it, this hurt. When the 3rd puncture happened, I got fed up of throwing out tires that still had a lot of life left so had an internal plug installed. It took 3 tries to get a plug that was airtight but the last one came out of the carcass about 1/8" to the side of the puncture. I figured that meant there was internal damage I couldn't see so changed the tire. The 4th puncture was dead center on the rear tire, a tiny 1/16" dia finishing nail. I don't know how it even managed to get in the tire. Anyway, it looked like the perfect candidate for another plug so gave it another try. This one also took 3 plugs before we got one airtight but it started leaking about a week later, maybe 3 pounds pressure a day. As there wasn't that much time left in the season, I decided to just keep filling it up every other day and will replace the tire over winter. I rode the bike reasonably hard (for the street) and was never worried the tire would blow or anything. Still not worried about a blowout but considering the hassle I've had with plugs leaking, not sure if I'd bother trying plugs again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A properly installed internal plug is just fine. Nothing to worry about. A plugged tire will not blow up, if it has a leak it will just bleed off and go flat.

·
Registered
182 Posts
well I know one thing. If you use fix a flat as a plug it is easier to pop wheelies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've plugged tires in a pinch and it works fine to get you home and to your destination. I've never once had a properly applied plug fail, leak or come out. In the desert, I even plugged a friend's Harley tire with a shoelace, automotive Goop adhesive and a Swiss knife once. Worked fine...

However I would not trust a plugged tire in a high-performance situation. If you're going to be breaking the ton or pushing it in the twisties, then I'd either patch the inside of the tire or better yet, replace it altogether.

Oh and in the blowout video, that's less about tire plugs and more about doing stupid things like going 150 MPH on a public street.

·
My 650 eats 1000s
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I don't know man. Something is wrong with loosing TWO plugs in one day and then jumping to put two more back in. smh

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
if you are loosing plugs then you are not putting them in right, maybe slowly leaking after a couple thousand miles, but if its in properly its not going anywhere. what the hell is with you guys that get more than the very rare puncture, do you not even look where you are going? I have had one puncture in 50k or so and that was from riding somewhere i shouldn't have been. i plugged it and it lasted as long as the tire.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts