Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
My 650 eats 1000s
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is what I keep hearing, but them other say it's OK. I avoid it, but have ridden with plugs before. I hear it's the KIND of plug that matters. With patch inside I think it's OK but not at high speeds. Anybody lose a plug before at high speed??

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I wouldn't take it on the track or anything, but I think a plug in the center tread area of a rear is fine for street or commuting type of stuff. I've done it a few times and never had problems.

·
My 650 eats 1000s
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That is what I keep hearing, but them other say it's OK. I avoid it, but have ridden with plugs before. I hear it's the KIND of plug that matters. With patch inside I think it's OK but not at high speeds. Anybody lose a plug before at high speed??
First guy kept going!!! Guess we know the answer to my question now! SMH

A car, but still:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If patched correctly, the tire is fine. However, I have lost a plug in a trailer tire. After that I viewed a plug as a way to get home.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've plug plenty of tires. Mostly car tires but hey. I've plug a few motorcycle tires but they were about to be replaced and I didn't do anything crazy and everything was fine.

I have a friend that had a tire with 4 plugs in it in the same spot and everything was fine there. He had the handle of a ratchet drive go through his tire.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I've plug plenty of tires. Mostly car tires but hey. I've plug a few motorcycle tires but they were about to be replaced and I didn't do anything crazy and everything was fine.

I have a friend that had a tire with 4 plugs in it in the same spot and everything was fine there. He had the handle of a ratchet drive go through his tire.
now that was a bad idea. I'd ride on a plugged tire all day but not one with a giant hole like that.
I wouldn't be super concerned about it blowing apart but going flat and stranding me on the side of the road.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
A quality internal repair, that seals the tread and the liner is 100% reliable.

Having said that, Ive had a 99% failure rate with external plugging for anything other than short term use. Ive used all external type of plugs available, and they all are very limited in comparison to A QUALITY internal repair with good tooling and material, which Ive yet to have fail.

Blow outs are not necessarily the Norm, Leaking is the most common failure

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
A few years ago I got a nail in my new rear tire on the R6. I plugged it myself and it lasted the entire life of the tire, including 7 trackdays and multiple top speed runs. But the plug was in the tread, so that certainly helped.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use plugs to finish a ride or commute on but get a new tire asap. IMO not to smart to hit high speeds or corner hard on a plug. Plus gives me an excuse for a lil' burnout to finish it off before I replace.

I've had friends eat it with a rear blow out. One with a plug where the tire blew at 150. One bad way to wreck your ride over a 160$ tire. It may work for you but I've seen the other side.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Yeah- i fall into the better safe than sorry category. I'll finish a ride and get myself home and use it as little as possible till I get the tire replaced- there are only two tires- and then there is you. I'd rather just spend the extra money and get it replaced.

It seriously is just only money.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Well Jo if I had a bank job like you then it would just be money..... He he he.

But broke college kid over here is eating ramen 4 nights outa the week. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
That was two months ago. I'm gona switch to blue box macaroni next month.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've plugged plenty of tires. Mostly cars but also rear tires on bikes. never once had a problem with either. im not sure I would plug a front tire on a bike though. I still agree an internal patch is better but if youre gonna go through all that trouble just replace the tire.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Used the evil external rope plugs never had a problem have heard of them not "taking" to some of the more modern synthetic rubber compounds but you'll know about that in the first 10kms or so I've never had it actually happen. I'll clarify this with they have only ever been used to fix nail screw holes and have a read of the instructions before you chuck it in. There are ways of messing it up and i'd suggest this is why they have a reputation for failing.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Well Jo if I had a bank job like you then it would just be money..... He he he.

But broke college kid over here is eating ramen 4 nights outa the week. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX
yo I am not rolling in the dough, I took a second job to try to get ahead. But I can tell you my medical bills are going to be a lot b***** if I go down at speed and lose control than 200$ for a new tire. It's just not worth it.

·
Not always on two
2,727 Posts
Is plugging your tire to save 150 dollars worth the constant paranoia of a tire blow out that could cause injury?

In my opinion : No.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts