Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was reading how you guys were saying that everyones excuse for not starting small. and just for the heck of it i decided to do a school project on this subject. the results for reasons to not start on a small bike are.

1. 23 people said that they would get bored of it in a month.

2. 7 said that they dont want to buy that and then have to spend more money on a b***** bike.

3. 11 i dont give a f*** about motorcycles.

i honestly couldnt believe it, i didnt even give them options to choose from. i was really surprised was that they almost all had the same excuse. lol kinda funny when you think about it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I got bored with my two-fiddy within a week...........but then I took the training wheels off!!!!!
Man, you would not believe the difference in cornering ability it made, PLUS, I look so much cooler now!:headbang

What you will find, young man, as you go through life, is that there are very few people who possess the ability to think for themselves, make their own decisions, and not go along with the crowd. They want to ride what everyone else does, or drive what everyone else does, or look like everyone else does. We've lost our individuality as a society and as a nation. That is why you can poll a bunch of people like you just did, and get so many to respond exactly the same way.

I admire you for coming up with an interesting school project, keep up the good work!

Peace

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea its projects like these that make school a lot more interesting. yea i also noticed that the preps were the first ones to make fun of the 250 claiming it was 2 slow and worthless. these are the kids that will have there parents buy them a brand new liter bike at the age of 16. then try to show off to the ladies by going fast in a straight line. where has the human race gone, once able to think for themselves now controlled by the mass media. why are people so controlled by speed and image. dont get me wrong i love the adrenaline rush also but what would posses someone to go 150+ on a normal road, why not save it for the strip do it in a contolled environment, or whats the point of even making a bike that can go over 150 when the speed limit is mainly {60} around here but even so whats the point, i mean in what conditions would someone need all that power, speed and acceleration?

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
07cbr600 said:
well i was reading how you guys were saying that everyones excuse for not starting small. and just for the heck of it i decided to do a school project on this subject. the results for reasons to not start on a small bike are.

2. 7 said that they dont want to buy that and then have to spend more money on a b***** bike.

3. 11 i dont give a f*** about motorcycles.

i honestly couldnt believe it, i didnt even give them options to choose from. i was really surprised was that they almost all had the same excuse. lol kinda funny when you think about it.
4. According to your poll, 41 people don't know shit about motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
bush said:
4. According to your poll, 41 people don't know shit about motorcycles.
and 11 people are NERDS!!!! :banana

·
center of an asian pop
3,480 Posts
07cbr600 said:
yea its projects like these that make school a lot more interesting. yea i also noticed that the preps were the first ones to make fun of the 250 claiming it was 2 slow and worthless. these are the kids that will have there parents buy them a brand new liter bike at the age of 16. then try to show off to the ladies by going fast in a straight line. where has the human race gone, once able to think for themselves now controlled by the mass media. why are people so controlled by speed and image. dont get me wrong i love the adrenaline rush also but what would posses someone to go 150+ on a normal road, why not save it for the strip do it in a contolled environment, or whats the point of even making a bike that can go over 150 when the speed limit is mainly {60} around here but even so whats the point, i mean in what conditions would someone need all that power, speed and acceleration?
sounds like you got your priorities right!
oh...and for me, it's not about the need (as i rarely go over 100 nowadays), its the want...:banana (okay, squid moment there...:bitchslap )

·
SBN Noob Sauce
1,057 Posts
07cbr600 said:
This is what I thought before I bought one. Some people are poor (like me), so this is the easiest excuse. It wasnt really an excuse for me it was the truth, until I started seeing more about how you could sell a 250 for what you paid for it,. Which has been confirmed to be true with the hours and hours I spent looking through classifieds , cycle traders, and craigslist. If I had not read so much about bikes here and other forums, I would have been looking for the first SS I could get.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
07cbr600 said:
Bored with a 250? My first bike was a Busa (1300cc), my second was a V-Rod (1130cc), my third is a Speed Triple (1050cc), and I would LOVE to have a little CBR or FZR 250. Something like that would be an absolute blast to ride! Boring? No way!

Attachments

·
So what?
1,134 Posts
250's are fun! They are nimble and easy to ride. Ever heard the saying it's fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow? It's true. The 250 is usually used as a bike to gain skills on, something that if you drop, you won't pay an arm and a leg to repair ( the less plastic fairing the better ). If you take care of the 250, you shouold get a pretty even return if you do decide to sell it. You might lose a little bit of money, but consider it the price you pay to learn to ride. Well worth it!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
you're surveying a people from your school. I'm assuming the age range is 14-17. How many of these participants have actually ridden a motorcycle? much less own one. (Daddy's cruiser doesn't count) Honestly do most of these kids know the difference between a cruiser and a sportbike? Or is it all R1s, Busas, and Ninjas... Before just accepting their answers (especially #1) what do they really know about riding?

I admit i'm one of those that went with excuse number 2, but there are times i wish i had bought the 250 to learn on and then resell it later. Now I have to learn one what i've got... it'll take longer, but i wish i went 250 first.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea they really dont own any bike except maybe their dirtbike, or maybe ride their older brothers r1, 1000rr, gsxr. etc. thats my point they really dont know crap and yet they will be out their riding a 150 hp bike. around here latley a lot of people are starting to die especially 16-19 years of age on bikes of 1000cc size. one kid went to fast over a hill and his tires lost traction and he ended up 200 yards from his bike. how would one go along convincing people that they should start small, i mean because people dying isnt doing anything.

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
And that's the problem.  When you do a poll about riding preferences, you really need to talk to people who RIDE.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think, and correct me if I'm wrong 07CBR600, that the point of the survey was not riders' opinions on small bikes, but the average perception about small bikes. I have a 14 year old step-daughter, and I constantly try to get her to look at the things she wants to buy (cell phones, MP3 players, etc.) and see why she has to have that particular one. Alot of times it's because that's the one MTV told her to buy. She's slowly coming around to looking at things for their long term value and actual features over what the media hype is. I think this guy is years ahead of his "peers" by not only being able to see this difference between media and reality, but to recognize it's effect on those around him. As far as trying to help the others, there's not much you can do. Maybe give them wheelchair access to the pits when they come watch you race later on.

·
Not always on two
2,727 Posts
07cbr600 said:
I hear this all the fucking time... rediculous excuse

you can sell the little 250 or 500 for the same price you bought it for, sometimes more ( I did) . just pay fuel, and oil.

Just an excuse for wanting to look cool without the learning curve....which will bite them in the ass.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i've been a member for a week and i am already tired of hearing about the 250 being small. i feel bad for you old timers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kevin-ross said:
I think, and correct me if I'm wrong 07CBR600, that the point of the survey was not riders' opinions on small bikes, but the average perception about small bikes. I have a 14 year old step-daughter, and I constantly try to get her to look at the things she wants to buy (cell phones, MP3 players, etc.) and see why she has to have that particular one. Alot of times it's because that's the one MTV told her to buy. She's slowly coming around to looking at things for their long term value and actual features over what the media hype is. I think this guy is years ahead of his "peers" by not only being able to see this difference between media and reality, but to recognize it's effect on those around him. As far as trying to help the others, there's not much you can do. Maybe give them wheelchair access to the pits when they come watch you race later on.
Yes that was exactly my point behind the survey. a small margin of those people actually have bikes i would say about 10%. and yea i only been on the website for a week or 2 and i also am getting tired of people bad mouthing the 250, and 500. i think that somehow all new members must read the stickys before they could post, maybe cut down a lot of the same questions about smaller bikes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I enjoy these threads about the Ninja 250. Seems like there is a large amount of the non-rider population who believes the bike tops out at 25mph, and should be considered a "dmv" test bike since you would never ride one once you are M1 licensed. Guess that's why so many are sold with 300 miles on them, not even broken in yet.

In reality, the 250 is a pretty fun bike. It's super light like a motard but you have better freeway ability, and longer range of gas. The seat is good for a few hours and with the relaxed ergos, no back problems.

It does feel slow but once you start riding it like a 2 stroke where the power is only near 10,000rpm+ it's a very quick for it's size bike. One of the fastest guys in the hill rides a 250 and very few people can keep up.

There is downsides to the 250 as well. It's lightweight also makes it's hard to ride across bridges. The suspension is lacking espeically if you are over 160lbs, but you can buy springs to adjust for the weight. Have to also mention the styling, it's dated but functional.

Overall, it's hard to find a better bike than the 250. They are cheap, insurance is really cheap and once you sell one there is always a market for one.

Ride safe,
Rob

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
RTYPEDJS said:
I enjoy these threads about the Ninja 250. Seems like there is a large amount of the non-rider population who believes the bike tops out at 25mph, and should be considered a "dmv" test bike since you would never ride one once you are M1 licensed. Guess that's why so many are sold with 300 miles on them, not even broken in yet.

In reality, the 250 is a pretty fun bike. It's super light like a motard but you have better freeway ability, and longer range of gas. The seat is good for a few hours and with the relaxed ergos, no back problems.

It does feel slow but once you start riding it like a 2 stroke where the power is only near 10,000rpm+ it's a very quick for it's size bike. One of the fastest guys in the hill rides a 250 and very few people can keep up.

There is downsides to the 250 as well. It's lightweight also makes it's hard to ride across bridges. The suspension is lacking espeically if you are over 160lbs, but you can buy springs to adjust for the weight. Have to also mention the styling, it's dated but functional.

Overall, it's hard to find a better bike than the 250. They are cheap, insurance is really cheap and once you sell one there is always a market for one.

Ride safe,
Rob
Great post!!

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
I think the funniest thing about the whole "bored with it quickly" thing is that the people saying it are genuinely not knowledgeable.

Nor are the people who buy one and think they can actually ride the bike to it's fullest in 2 months. It takes YEARS for a rider to be capable enough to ride a 250 to 70% of it's abilities.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
I think the funniest thing about the whole "bored with it quickly" thing is that the people saying it are genuinely not knowledgeable.

Nor are the people who buy one and think they can actually ride the bike to it's fullest in 2 months. It takes YEARS for a rider to be capable enough to ride a 250 to 70% of it's abilities.

Yup. I think that the people that do actually get bored with ANY bike really don't know how to ride it to anywhere near it's potential. I mean, yah, I guess you could get bored with a bike's straight line speed, but when you are riding it like it's supposed to be ridden (i.e. flicking it through corners at rapid rates of speed) then I don't think there's any way that I would ever get bored of ANY bike.

I guess the only reason that I'd get bored with a bike would be like I did with my Radian...I got bored of working on it more than I was riding it...but that's a completely different thing than getting bored riding it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts