Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the tr***** on a Penske 8983 rear suspension unit. The only problem is there are no more piggyback shocks for the ZX6RJ. Had to settle for a unit with a remote reservoir. The only problem was, Penske gives you a pair of hose clamps to mount the reservoir...really a $900 shock with a pair of cheesy radiatror clamps? Anyway, Evo Technologies LLC makes a really neat aluminum reservoir clamp that you can bolt to the top shock bolt(or elsewhere) which solves the mounting problem. Now I have to buy a slightly longer Ti bolt. Can't wait to get the shock mounted and dialed in.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
You know that you can use different shocks on the ZZR600.......

Shocks,

-03/04 ZX6R Shock is a direct swap, slightly better then the 98-02 shock.
-05-08 ZX6R Shock will bolt up with either grinding of the lower mount of the shock, or swapping over to the corresponding linkage.
-04+ ZX10R Shock is the same deal as the 05+ ZX6R.

The last of the three is what I did. Bought a Ohlins shock for a 04/05 ZX10R and got the corresponding suspension linkage off eBay for $9.99. It came with all the bolts and the dog bones. The dog bones for the 04/05 ZX10R are exactly the same size as the ones on the 05-08 ZZR.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

That piggyback is $270 more than the remote resevoir....I'd be happy with the remote resevoir for that kind of cost difference!

The real question; is the 8983 at $925 going to be so much better than an oe shock off xyz that goes in and is revalved, resprung and rebuilt for say $325... Sure it'll add bling and somehting you can see and point to-but function?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That piggyback is $270 more than the remote resevoir....I'd be happy with the remote resevoir for that kind of cost difference!

The real question; is the 8983 at $925 going to be so much better than an oe shock off xyz that goes in and is revalved, resprung and rebuilt for say $325... Sure it'll add bling and somehting you can see and point to-but function?
The folks that put the Penske 8983 rear shock on their bikes stated it made the rear tire more predictable than a modified OEM rear shock. That is enough for me,,,the bling factor doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know that you can use different shocks on the ZZR600.......

Shocks,

-03/04 ZX6R Shock is a direct swap, slightly better then the 98-02 shock.
-05-08 ZX6R Shock will bolt up with either grinding of the lower mount of the shock, or swapping over to the corresponding linkage.
-04+ ZX10R Shock is the same deal as the 05+ ZX6R.

The last of the three is what I did. Bought a Ohlins shock for a 04/05 ZX10R and got the corresponding suspension linkage off eBay for $9.99. It came with all the bolts and the dog bones. The dog bones for the 04/05 ZX10R are exactly the same size as the ones on the 05-08 ZZR.
Wish I had known that the '03-'04 rear shock would have worked because there would have been more aftermarket options.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Jay, the folks I bought my rear shock from said Penske doesn't make the piggyback 8983 anymore. WTF over!
I'd call Traxxion and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The folks that put the Penske 8983 rear shock on their bikes stated it made the rear tire more predictable than a modified OEM rear shock. That is enough for me,,,the bling factor doesn't hurt either.
These folks.........would they really know or do they assume because they installed a brand new 8993 in replacement of something worn out and the difference was huge and/or improperly set up for them, therefore the difference would be huge rebuilt revalved properly sprung 8983 vs all the same done to an oe shock....

I don't buy it and unless I could run them back to back on the same bike the same day for real testing I can't justify triple the cost

I paid $50 shipped for a virtually brand new 09 ZX6r shock (50 miles on it) and although it has never been set up for me-too stiff of spring and I have the preload collars up to the top of the threads and it still is too stiff....It is better than the oe shock I took off that after hauling a 400# guy that crashed on the back seat for some 200+ miles it blew out the seal and didn't cost me a fortune. However I do plan to send in a 2011 zx6R shock I just got for $20+$12 shipping to Traxxion and get it rebuilt, revalved and resprung - So for about $375 I'll have a virtually brand new 2011 ZX6R shock on my bike that is set up properly.

40k out of the oe shock
29k out of the $50 '09 shock + $15 for the knuckle shipped
xxk out of a finally properly set up 2011 shock..$32 + $325 rebuild,revalve,respring + $12 shipping--

I have no doubt the 8983 is better than the 2011 shock all set up to "same" specs but I don't see it being so much better (perhaps not even noticeably better on the street) to make it worth triple the cost is all.

My race bikes always had fox twin clickers or Works Performance shocks on them but in the 80's & early 90's suspensions sucked ass (no damping, no adjustments to speak of and not a shit ton of aftermarket companies willing to do anything but sell you something off the shelf...hell they thought progressive wound springs were the answer to everything), they are far better now right from the factory, although still not "right" for everyone

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The last time i was in Arkansas, my rear suspension wasn't set up for riding twisties and the rear of the bike felt like a pogo stick with the rear tire sliding out unpredictably. Hopefully, it will all get sorted for a fall trip back to the 'Little Dragon'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, my name is Aaron Lambert, I am director of Competition at Penske Shocks. Thanks you for purchasing the 8983. You should see a huge difference over a OE revalved shock. There is a reason race teams all over the world run Penske Shocks. The cool thing is it is the same product you just bought. Honestly, the only problem will be the front of the bike will be lacking performance, which we can also help with. Any questions please let us know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have just released this year our own 25mm cartridge. We have focused on R6 and GSXR 600's in Pro Racing. We can do other models as well. We also off Penske internals for stock forks. If you call the shop and speak to Mike Himmelsbach, he is our Road Race Manager, he can let you know what all your options are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts