Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Addicted Motorhead
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure the pictures will show up here so here is the original link in the R1-Forum.

Pelican case hard saddle bag pannier project for 07. : Yamaha R1 Forum

I know some of you track junkies won't approve but ....

I have been riding a long time and really enjoy a pure sports bike. I also love doing a little power commuting on it and some SPORT touring.

No one makes real hard luggage for pure sports bikes. The ones that do want a small fortune for it. So I decided I could have my cake and eat it too by making myself some commuting luggage.

I am only partially into this project so bare with me here.

-I started with two Pelican 1430 top load cases. These things are light and nearly indistructable. They are also totally water tight (untill I started drilling holes in them:dundun:).

I wanted to take advantage of the bikes natural weight bearing points and try to avoid having huge racks hanging on the bike at all times.

So here is what I came up with so far.

The front edge of the case has a some metal square stock attached to the bottom of it. This just slips over the passenger foot peg. Not as secure of a point as I would like so I may change this around a bit so that it actually uses a quick release pin to take the peg off and pin in the bag where the peg goes. I figure if a 120 passenger can stand on this peg 10-15lbs max of pannier can ride on it.

Then I made a simple double "L" bracket that bolts to the exhaust hanger under the seat and sticks out between the exhuast and body work. (no trimming at all, forgive the loose bodywork it is just sitting on the bike for picture reference sake).

There is a hole in the side of the Pelican case that the bracket simply bolts to. The plan is to weld a bolt to the bracket, the case slides over the bolt and secures from inside the case with a wingnut. This keeps the case locked on as long as you have a padlock on the case. Simple one nut removal of the case so that you can ride it to work and carry the case inside just like a breifcase.

The only issue at this point is that the exhaust mounts are rubber mounted so it allows movement in the case. Tonight I will build a cross truss under the seat to tie the left and right side toghther so there is zero flex. The whole system will still only be held on with two bolts and no trimming. So in theory when I am done I could take this to a shop,jig it and make more if there was enough interest. This is all the same underseat structure designed to hold the weight of the passenger.

When the bags are off the bike all you will see is a small bracket sticking out above the exhaust. So for the most part you keep the sleek lines of the bike when you don't have luggage.

One case will hold my laptop and stuff for work. The other will have the foam removed to hold files, jacket, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
bravo!

I'm currently welding up a bracket for my ninja650, sort of like a luggage rack for the rear, and this gives me some new ideas! hats off to you partner!

Can i ask - how much are those pelican cases going for?

Awesome job!!

Clutch

·
Registered
172 Posts
Seems like a great idea to me. Pelican cases are very sturdy. I'd be interested in more detailed pictures of the parts you made to mount them.

·
Addicted Motorhead
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I worked on them a bit yesterday. (pictures to follow).

The bracket had too much flex in it for me. So I welded an angle iron cross brace together. Links the left and right sides under the seat. Strudy as hell now!!!....and it remains a bolt on item so that if you wanted to remove it you can.

I thought the idea of just slipping a tube over the rear foot peg would be great but it just does not secure the bottom of the case enough.

I think I am going to order some Pannier loops and mounting kit and go all out on the Pannier mount. I wish I could keep the biker mostly bracket free but to really make them secure I don't think it is going to happen. I may try to make a single link bracket that doubles as the rear foot peg first to see how that goes.

The 1430 Pelican cases were $87 each locally here with the foam. I have found them several places on line for less, and less if you don't get the foam. But once you include shipping they are about the same. (plus I was in the guys shop 4 times taking measurements before I bought them so I figure I owed him the courtesy of purchasing through him)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Keep us updated on this project. I'm contemplating trying to outfit some GIVI hardbags on my 02 R6. I just don't know if it would be worth the hassle. I'd really like to see detailed pics of the brackets as well.

Lucas

·
Addicted Motorhead
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep us updated on this project. I'm contemplating trying to outfit some GIVI hardbags on my 02 R6. I just don't know if it would be worth the hassle. I'd really like to see detailed pics of the brackets as well.

Lucas

I will. I just took a break from it. Need to order some "hoops" and mounting pieces. Not the route I really wanted to go, but it must be done to make them right.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I will. I just took a break from it. Need to order some "hoops" and mounting pieces. Not the route I really wanted to go, but it must be done to make them right.
The plan I had in my mind was to by a used givi kit on ebay. Basically all I want is the hoops. I will grind off all the brackets, so I just have the bare hoops. Then I can bolt brackets to the bike, start shaping and grinding them until I get them the right size and length to mate up to the hoop. Then hold the hoops in place and tack weld everythink up. Next, remove everything, final weld, cleanup, and paint. Like I said before, just not sure if it will be worth all the hassle.

currently I have Nelson Rigg's soft pacs on the back, and they are great, but hard pacs would be the tit's.

Lucas

·
Addicted Motorhead
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found pre-made hoops for $39 and bag mounting kits for $69. I will find the link when I get home and post it.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I finally found this thread again! I want to do something like this. Good link for the mounting kit!

·
Addicted Motorhead
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay! So here is a little update.

Got my "Motor-Sport Panniers" Universal mounting hoop kit.

I am not a big fan of their mount set up, but the hoop was a must need.

Hoops were $39 and the mount plates were $79. (buy the hoops, not the plates, you can make something cheaper)

These photos are not totally finished. Wanted to ride with them for a bit before having the mounts powder coated. So all the rack is still raw steal and needs cleaned up. (Forgive the dirty bike and garage)

These things are rock solid.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Looks good, very unique. How many liters of storage do the cases give you?

EDIT: nevermind about the liters of storage....I see that it is setup for your laptop and whatnot

·
Addicted Motorhead
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are the specs on the cases I used.

TEMPERATURE RATING: MINIMUM -10° F (-23° C) MAXIMUM +210° F (+99° C)

DIMENSIONS: INSIDE: 14-3/16" L 6-3/8" W x 11-11/16" H (36 cm x 16.2 cm x 29.7 cm)

OUTSIDE: 16-7/8" L X 10-7/8" W X 13" H ( 42.9 cm x 27.6 cm x 32.5 cm )

TOP INSIDE: 14-3/16" L x 6-3/8" W x 2.00" H (36 cm x 16.2 cm x 5.1 cm)

BOTTOM INSIDE: 14-3/16" L x 6-3/8" W x 9-11/16” H (36 cm x 16.2 cm x 24.6 cm)

BUOYANCY: Floats in salt water with 59 lbs (27.1 kg) load

WEIGHT of Case:
With Foam: 5.40 LBS
Without Foam: 4.90 LBS

·
Addicted Motorhead
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got around to doing ver 1.2. I was trying to avoid a cross brace to keep things a bit cleaner but the weight was just too much and eventually fatigued one of the brackets.

Rewelded it, and added the lower cross brace. Feels bombproof now!!!!!!

Kinda liked having the cases off, but soon realized that I want to ride too much and can't carry all the things I need to. So the cases went back on.

·
If I touch this wire...
199 Posts
With those top loaders do you get much wind resistance? What steered you from the side loading? I have an FZ6 and want to do something extremely similar to your setup. I am still teetering between the top or the side loader. Next I guess is me buying a side rack setup b/c I don't know how to weld...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts