Sport Bikes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Except for a drop of 10 mpg in gas mileage! I could feel a good punch in the lower rpms 1000-3000 rpm but other than not much of a difference on my butt dyno. I am going to get a dyno test soon to see exactly what is the difference in bhp and ft/lb. Really, PCIII is not worth without a custom dyno tune ($350) which makes it a costly affair.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Except for a drop of 10 mpg in gas mileage! I could feel a good punch in the lower rpms 1000-3000 rpm but other than not much of a difference on my butt dyno. I am going to get a dyno test soon to see exactly what is the difference in bhp and ft/lb. Really, PCIII is not worth without a custom dyno tune ($350) which makes it a costly affair.
This is what I did to cut down on the gas consumption. I know most of the PC3 maps in the US are richer. I have a BMC filter with the cat eliminator, arrow exhaust and baffles removed. The map I first used was M410-003 Leo Vince slip-ons (eliminates the catalytic converter), Stock or aftermarket air filter from the Powercommander site. My gas mileage dropped to about 35 mpg, I was getting about 45 stock map. So I looked on the forum and found someone else with a Two Bro Maps with BMC filter and cat elim. link here -> http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6/387480-pciii-map-two-bros.html . I tried this map out and it was a bit better on mpg, about 37 mpg. Both maps worked well for my bike, it pull well throughout all the rpms, there's no backfiring, and also the my idle was smoothed out. I then did a comparison of both maps and the % of fuel added was quite different on both maps. So I figured that since both maps works alright, I copied both maps onto an excel spreadsheet. Created a new tab and grab the Min values of both maps and paste the new min values into the current map table and saved it. This basically grabs the smaller values of both fuel maps thus giving me the leanest possible map from both maps combined. I tried this out and it seems to work pretty well. My mpg is back up to about 40 mpg. Its not as lean as stock, but it still has juice throughout. I know this will never compare to a custom map, but gas is too expensive in San Francisco. I'll check my plugs in a few weeks to see if its too lean but I really doubt it.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a great idea tk999l! I will try it. Do you happen to have your formualized sheet so that I can use the formulae already embedded there?

I agree about gas being expensive and scarce. I just don't like the attitude of some people since they can afford it they are allowed to waste it. I like conserving of natural resources.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That is a great idea tk999l! I will try it. Do you happen to have your formualized sheet so that I can use the formulae already embedded there?

I agree about gas being expensive and scarce. I just don't like the attitude of some people since they can afford it they are allowed to waste it. I like conserving of natural resources.
I will upload the map tonight when i get home. Try it out for a few days and see if it works, else just go back to the map you have.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Here's the excel sheet I made to create the mins for 2 maps. You can cut and paste the maps you like into the sheet and then copy the values over to the new tab using a paste special -> values before you copy it into the pc3 software. Dont copy and paste from the formula table because it wont work. Good luck and happy tweaking :).

Since SBN doesnt allow me to upload xls files, i changed the extension to .txt. Just change it back to .xls after you download it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have been using that two bros map all summer. Re-geared, -1/+1, I get 30 mpg city.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been using that two bros map all summer. Re-geared, -1/+1, I get 30 mpg city.
Is that discounting the odo error? Even then its pathetic. It is better to run it a little lean than get such sucky mpg..

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update .. did my 8000 miles service today ... changed the spark plugs too .. still have to sync throttle bodies as it turned darker. I the spark plugs looked brown - perfect with no PCIII/Zero Map which means the Lasers ARE really designed for this bike without requiring the PCIII. But I still believe a custom dyno tune will reap the maximum benefits...

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
I live in the Great White North, I'd be happy if my summer was a little longer, and hell, if the north starts to melt, it just means canada has more useable land to enhabit.

Support global warming!!! LOL

FWIW, I was flipping through the old national geographics at the cottage this summer, and I read an article from 1975 that was panicking about a global cooling. :eek:nfloor

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
I live in the Great White North, I'd be happy if my summer was a little longer, and hell, if the north starts to melt, it just means canada has more useable land to enhabit.

Support global warming!!! LOL

FWIW, I was flipping through the old national geographics at the cottage this summer, and I read an article from 1975 that was panicking about a global cooling. :eek:nfloor
Which should tell the agenda driven warming people something but... I now return this thread to it's regularly scheduled programming.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yeah because engines are cheaper than gas these days...
If people are running their bikes with an aftermarket filter, pipe elim, and exhaust without a pcIII, I dont see how adjusting a pc3 down a few percent on fuel from the really rich maps will mess up the engine. Youre only bringing it back closer to the stock fuel setup.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If people are running their bikes with an aftermarket filter, pipe elim, and exhaust without a pcIII, I dont see how adjusting a pc3 down a few percent on fuel from the really rich maps will mess up the engine. Youre only bringing it back closer to the stock fuel setup.
I was referencing to running without any fuel curve modification. The stock map built into the ECU is kinda lean as it is. Everything you add that frees up flow causes the A/F ratio to lean. If you have one of the newer models with an oxygen sensor(s) then it might be a little different, because the ECU can compensate somewhat.

I've tested out multiple maps and I have noticed that the more lean ones make the engine run hotter, which can have adverse effects over the long run. On the other side of the same coin running too rich is just wasting gas, and can create excess deposits on the pistons and foul the spark plugs.

Honestly, it's your bike and I could care less what you do with it, also my bike is my bike and I don't want anyone worrying what I do either.

In my opinion and based on my knowledge, running just a little rich is better int he long run than running a little lean. You use a little bit more gas, but I pay out the ass for the gas so don't tell me what to do with it :p

Also, not every engine/ecu/pipes/filters/etc are the same, so experiences can vary greatly between bikes.
In my experience having enough fuel and running a little rich makes my bike perform a whole lot better and run smoother. After I installed the K&N air filter it created such a big difference that I had to switch to a richer map.
Same goes for aftermarket exhausts, cat elim pipes, chopping the air box, etc.

My two cents. :popcorn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts