Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again lol, here it is short and to the point.
I'm looking at a 2001 GSXR 750. About 20k miles, new tires and brake pads. KBB says 3300 roughly. Guy is asking 3750. And the lowest he'll go is 3500.

Should I bring up KBB? Or should I consider the 3500.

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Depends on how bad you want it. KBB and NADA are guides, you'll always find prices above and below both of them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
No personal sale goes by NADA or KBB... The value of the bike is a personal value. What is it worth to you?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how much I'm willing to spend only because I've never gotten on anything more than a ninja 250.

I'm not proud of it but I'm cheap. I hate spending money so I'm willing to part with some so I can get the bike. I just don't know how much. And since this bike is on Craigslist, I don't get a warranty for even a day. I'm out of luck if something bad happens with any parts.
I just want to be sure I'm getting a decent or good deal. I don't want to pay more than I have to. No one does lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
The price seems reasonable, if it was taken care of. Take a friend with you that knows bikes, what to look at, what to look for. If you are worried about the miles, don't be. Now although 20k isn't "nothing", it isn't very much. The reason you don't see many for sale with so many miles is merely that bikes get wrecked and those that don't, people keep.

·
Registered
971 Posts
One could certainly rationalize the price. New tires, new brake pads, it's in the reconditioned shape one would get from a dealer. Plus the low miles for a 2001. If the chain, sprockets, fork seals look good, it might be a fair price to pay in the spring.

But if it were me, I'd pass on it. A dealer would give him maybe 2500 in trade, tops. And he isn't a dealer, so if there are any problems with it there isn't anyone you can go to to make it right. I'd be offering 3K and passing if he didn't go to that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The only way I'd pay over KBB is if was a really special bike. For me, I had been looking for a 954 for quite some time and I found a near mint one with only 7700 kms (4500 mi)......so for me it was worth paying a little more than KBB because I know I wouldn't run into one like that again.

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
Paying over KBB or NADA in this economy is a fools gold. I would not do it. You can always talk the seller down by telling him your bank won't loan you a dollar over the book value, I have successfully used that tactic in the past.

I am like you, tight. I overpaid too much in my youth, and in my golden years I am older and wiser.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I'd beat him up on the miles and the KBB value, and anything else I found when I looked at it. IMO new tires, etc., don't raise the value above KBB. They keep the vlaue from dropping below KBB

OTOH, don't spend your whole life passing on awesome bikes because of a few hundred bucks. It won't mean anything over the life of the bike.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
I'd only offer $3000. I'd show him the cash and tell him you can take all this money or he can "maybe" sell it soon. And I wouldn't budge on my offer.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
It still amazes me that when trying to buy a bike, y'all tell the seller their bike is junk and they should pay you to take it away...but when you want to sell your bike, it is solid gold.

Reactions: tpcarc

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd beat him up on the miles and the KBB value, and anything else I found when I looked at it. IMO new tires, etc., don't raise the value above KBB. They keep the vlaue from dropping below KBB

OTOH, don't spend your whole life passing on awesome bikes because of a few hundred bucks. It won't mean anything over the life of the bike.
What do you mean by beat him up on the miles? And you definitely have a point in your last statement.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paying over KBB or NADA in this economy is a fools gold. I would not do it. You can always talk the seller down by telling him your bank won't loan you a dollar over the book value, I have successfully used that tactic in the past.

I am like you, tight. I overpaid too much in my youth, and in my golden years I am older and wiser.
Wow. Could my bank lend me the money? Haha. I was going to pay out of my pocket. But hey, hurts less if I pay $1000 a month for 4 months lol.

·
Registered
205 Posts
He is saying that he thinks 20k miles is a lot for a bike. And most people do. But most of my close friends and club members, have 40k+. We have one rider who have 190K on his. It's all in how you take care of it, just like everything else.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
What do you mean by beat him up on the miles? And you definitely have a point in your last statement.
Use it as a bargaining chip in your favor. "Look, KBB says $3300, but you have a ton of mile son this thing. Etc ..."

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. I mostly asked this because I emailed him asking if the bike was still available. He said that if I was willing to make a deal this week he would go for
$3750 to $3500. I'm starting to doubt I can talk him lower after that :/

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
Hello again lol, here it is short and to the point.
I'm looking at a 2001 GSXR 750. About 20k miles, new tires and brake pads. KBB says 3300 roughly. Guy is asking 3750. And the lowest he'll go is 3500.

Should I bring up KBB? Or should I consider the 3500.

Thanks guys :)
there are some great points on this thread. here are some of my thoughts...

1) kbb value is a guideline that i personally view as a starting point for a bike that is in absolutely PERFECT condition with all maintenance records available for you to look at.

the value goes DOWN from there if they have no record of fork oil changes, valve clearance service inspection, brake fluid flush, brake line changes (the rubber lines are good for usually 2 years according to most service manuals), rear shock refresh, chain and sprocket replacement at proper intervals, coolant flush, brake pad change, new battery (depending on age of bike), etc...

2) aftermarket parts are something that many people view as a price enhancer. personally, i view them as adding ZERO value in almost any instance. i would give consideration to ohlins fork inserts, ohlins rear shock and maybe (big maybe) a steering damper if it has a record of when it was installed and, if applicable, when it was serviced.

full exhausts, quick shifters, power commanders, custom mapping and fancy engine work are things i would not give additional value to. since most sellers don't feel this way, i'd simply look for a bike without all this stuff.

by the time you get thru with all of these checks, many "perfect" bikes will seem like broken-down lumps of shit. some sellers are willing to negotiate and some are willing to wait for someone who isn't as concerned that the bike may look perfect, but needs a whole lot of maintenance work that could possibly end up in the thousands of dollar mark.

anyone who's "firm" on a price that's higher than kbb or nada better have a damn good reason for it and be able to back it up with paperwork. it should be the bike of your dreams and need absolutely NOTHING done to it until its next regular maintenance interval.

i lose most sellers when i ask them when the last time the fork oil and seals were changed. their spotless, shiny forks don't look so appealing after i get my answer...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Thanks. I mostly asked this because I emailed him asking if the bike was still available. He said that if I was willing to make a deal this week he would go for
$3750 to $3500. I'm starting to doubt I can talk him lower after that :/
Hell, you already talked him down $250 with an e-mail. Show up with $3K in one pocket and $100 in the other pocket. Show him the $3K. tell him it's all you have. When he says no, start to walk away, then turn around and offer $3100. If he doesn't take it, go home. Call him two days later and tell him you scraped together another $200, but $3300 is as high as you'll go. that is, if you decide to go that high.

·
Registered
971 Posts
hell, you already talked him down $250 with an e-mail. Show up with $3k in one pocket and $100 in the other pocket. Show him the $3k. Tell him it's all you have. When he says no, start to walk away, then turn around and offer $3100. If he doesn't take it, go home. Call him two days later and tell him you scraped together another $200, but $3300 is as high as you'll go. That is, if you decide to go that high.
+1

1 - 20 of 26 Posts