Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went into a motorcycle dealership I've been going to for a while going back and forth to look at the Ninja 650.

I told a the sales guy my story about how another dealership was selling a 2013 Ninja 650 (new) for $5300, but then after all the fees, it came out to $7850. And then just asked what could they do. Well, the guy said he will sell me a brand new 2014 Ninja 650 at MSRP of $7980 and add $500 for ABS model. So I pay the same price, but get the latest model that's a year newer.

Just wondering if being able to pay MSRP is a good deal, or could I do $1000 less than MSRP? Because the guy told me with the fees a new 2014 Ninja 650 will be around $10,000 but he was willing to waive them since he seen me come in alot.

I was originally planning on trying getting a used 2012 ninja 650 with low miles for $5000, but it's hard to find those deals and I only saw it once on craigslist. But the woman didn't have the title and said the loan company had it. Another dealership had a used Ninja 650 2012 with low miles (1200-1300 miles), but they wanted $6000 when it looked weathered.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It's your first bike, buy used!!!! There are lots of used bikes in really good shape. Don't ever pay MSRP for anything unless you're just lazy and have money to burn. Use instavin it similar service to check the VIN # and verify vehicle history, clean title etc. Use KBB or other similar tool to get a fair idea about what the bike is worth.

If you buy used from a dealer, you'll pay a little more, but it's a one-stop shop and you can get your financing, registration, etc and be done with it. Don't pay what the bike is worth PLUS dealer fees. Pay what the bike is worth, plus tax, title, minimal document fees, period! If they tell you they have to charge a dealer fee, then tell them they need to reduce the cost of the bike the amount of their dealer fee.

Like was already suggested, go to cycletrader.com and compare prices there also. Do your homework, it's not that damn hard! How are you going to help artists collect their money if you can't do enough homework to hold on to your own?

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
You do realize that no matter what you're gonna have to pay tax and registration right? That's a big chunk of that $2500 in "fees" the other dealer was gonna charge. You'll need to add another $680 in tax alone to that 2014 that he's "giving you a deal" on. Also, since they dont seem to have changed anything on that bike you'll basically be paying a lot more simply for a 4 instead of a 3 on the registration paperwork.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
No - not on Ninja 650s.

Maybe for the extremely hot, rare, piece of latest hardware. MAYBE.

Not on a Ninja 650.

Buy a used Versys. Same motor as the Ninja 650, but better ergos and more usability. And they can be had cheap.

You'll thank me later.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ninja 650 depreciate FAST. After you have been around bikes and go to bike shops often you will know what moves and what hardly moves.
Crazy deals on CL on those bikes.
The Ninja 300 is the one that is currently holding really good resale value.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
jetfalcon topic/10

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I have never bought a new bike and could never see the point. Only way I'd buy a bike from a stealership is if I needed credit, and then I wouldn't buy a bike period. Never finance a toy.

Plenty of bikes in great shape with very little wear, and most are bulletproof to begin with.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
same reason to buy a new car, because it is new. i paid cash for my ninja 1000 at a dealership (fyi: too many people call it a "stealership" to try to be cool/fit in and it is really played out. like calling cars cagers).

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I have never bought a new bike and could never see the point. Only way I'd buy a bike from a stealership is if I needed credit, and then I wouldn't buy a bike period. Never finance a toy.

Plenty of bikes in great shape with very little wear, and most are bulletproof to begin with.
My option was a bike, sled, or camper. They would not finance a vehicle for me, new or used.

the bike was cheapest.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Ninja 650 depreciate FAST. After you have been around bikes and go to bike shops often you will know what moves and what hardly moves.
Crazy deals on CL on those bikes.
The Ninja 300 is the one that is currently holding really good resale value.
Kawasakis depreciate like nothing else, well, food almost depreciates as fast as a Kawasaki.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I've never understood why. They don't make particularly unreliable bikes.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I've never understood why. They don't make particularly unreliable bikes.
They don't make particularly reliable bikes either and fit and finish is not Kawasaki's strongest, so their bikes look like worn in a shorter period of time.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
They don't make particularly reliable bikes either and fit and finish is not Kawasaki's strongest, so their bikes look like worn in a shorter period of time.
I'd say they're as reliable as anything else if properly maintained. The fit and finish though.... *shudders*

1 - 20 of 69 Posts