Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Those headlights are quite possibly the worst thing I've ever seen on a bike.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those headlights are quite possibly the worst thing I've ever seen on a bike.

Not me.......

The woody woodpecker front headlight ass'y of many of these easily gets my vote.I don't like them,but would take the two singles over this hands down. :blink

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
needs more than 72 hp for 22 grand. for the 100 hp version, I could tolerate that price tag, logically.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
does it matter? they don't compete with this.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your primary criteria is $$ per hp it does.That's obviously not what they're after here.The appeal would be mostly to those who remember that era.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
While I get that, it also should not last on the list. this thing looks like a racer, rides like a racer, and then just doesn't have the gumption of a racer.

Like I said, with 100 crank ponies, she'd be worth that price tag, to me.
with 70?
nope.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Im with Pred on this. A sheep in sharks clothing.

I bet you could possibly build a bike similar to this yourself for a lot cheaper.

I like the backend but not the front. Kinda like most women I guess....

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I actually like the entire look, including the headlights. different is not always bad. I really do like the bike, and if I was in the market for something such as this, I'd totally look at it, if it came with ~100bhp.
that is not asking too much, in this day and age.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get the more power is better thing but it has enough to suit the purpose imo.Back in the day many never had that much.Even from more recent-sort of recent anyway.I had a Radian that had lots though less than that,FZ600 same,my 750 Interceptor had a bit more but not drastically considering it's weight,and a pair of RZ's that had far less than that and yet were merciless in destroying my driver's license.That much would be sufficient to me and there is a definite appeal in knowing you can get more with your own work-sort of a baseline as it were...but I'd still change the headlight.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Also consider the bikes weight, 348lbs with full fluids is pretty dang lightweight. I bet it rides a lot sportier than the HP # suggests. Honestly, for a very small production hand made bike with rather high spec components that price doesn't seem that high to me. It's on par with a lot of mass produced Italian bikes, but with a style you cant get anywhere. This bike isn't trying to compete with modern sportbikes, in fact it's really not competing with anything currently in production that I can think of. It's a brand new classic racer. The only other place you're gonna find that is a custom build. Give any bike builder you can find a call and ask them how much it would be to build you the same thing and let me know what they tell you. I guarantee you it'll be a lot more if not double.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
roffle.
double?

How is it that these guys have managed to make a viable business model if they are losing 20 grand on every bike sold? Come on.
and if that isn't the case, how have they managed to swindle their way into getting parts for half the price?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Who says they lose 20,000?It's not a custom build and uses many pre existing parts,the eng being the biggie for sure.All he said was there is nothing in prod like it save a custom.You don't need 100 horsies to have fun-and many of us appreciate that style/design that would come without the headaches and unreliability of the real thing...or similar.
I realize the cost is much higher than Japanese with similar or more hp but if your primary concern is cost without breaching the 100 hp mark,then perhaps a little perspective is in order.
Assuming all manufacturer's figures(and net data) are more or less correct:shrug

A Paton with a Curb(wet) weight of 348 lbs / 72 hp has a lb/hp figure of 4.8
A VFR800 with a wet weight of 520 lbs and 104 hp has a lb/hp figure of 5.0
A CBR F4i with a wet weight of 439 lbs and 85 hp has a lb/hp figure of 5.6

Given that less weight per hp is better,it really shouldn't be a slug.Many other variables of course but with these figures,it's not so slow as to not be a fun ride-and be something different as well.:cool04

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
To me it looks like a kit bike...

And that is where they got their inspiration from. Too much money for too little bike.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Who says they lose 20,000?It's not a custom build and uses many pre existing parts,the eng being the biggie for sure.All he said was there is nothing in prod like it save a custom.You don't need 100 horsies to have fun-and many of us appreciate that style/design that would come without the headaches and unreliability of the real thing...or similar.
I realize the cost is much higher than Japanese with similar or more hp but if your primary concern is cost without breaching the 100 hp mark,then perhaps a little perspective is in order.
Assuming all manufacturer's figures(and net data) are more or less correct:shrug

Given that less weight per hp is better,it really shouldn't be a slug.Many other variables of course but with these figures,it's not so slow as to not be a fun ride-and be something different as well.:cool04
stnkbg said you couldn't go to a bike builder and get one like this done up for less than double.
I know what a power to weight ratio is as well. Also, every stock dyno I have seen puts the F4i at ~90hp to the rear wheel.
And finally, the numbers for the Paton are crank numbers, unless I misread that (and I will re-read it too, just to make sure). If they are crank numbers, then you didn't factor that into your little ratio game. :D
edit: yep, they list it as 72bhp.
So you knocked ~15% off the F4i numbers. lets knock that off the Paton numbers too.
it gives us ~61 wheel hp.
now you've got a 5.7 lb/hp ratio for that bike.
which is more in line with my VFR. which is hardly a bike reknowned for it's ability to tear up a track. now that is mostly to do with a suspension that was cheaped out on from the giddy up, but the point is there.

I am not doubting it'd be a fun-as-hell bike. but it's not a 22,000 dollar fun-as-hell-bike, is my point.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Also consider the bikes weight, 348lbs with full fluids is pretty dang lightweight. I bet it rides a lot sportier than the HP # suggests. Honestly, for a very small production hand made bike with rather high spec components that price doesn't seem that high to me. It's on par with a lot of mass produced Italian bikes, but with a style you cant get anywhere. This bike isn't trying to compete with modern sportbikes, in fact it's really not competing with anything currently in production that I can think of. It's a brand new classic racer. The only other place you're gonna find that is a custom build. Give any bike builder you can find a call and ask them how much it would be to build you the same thing and let me know what they tell you. I guarantee you it'll be a lot more if not double.
"rather" high spec components? All I see are a bunch of off the shelve components, not really "high end" shocks, forks and brakes, mounted on to a custom frame which has lots of crude looking brackets holding parts in locations that scream "after thought".

Seriously, look at the battery...

$22,000 and you don't even get tubeless spoke wheels, like you can get in a BMW or Aprilia?

SV650/1000 tail light!?

The bike looks cool, but not even close to $22,000 cool nor $22,000 quality nor $22,000 components.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts

They are using crank hp from the Kawasaki ER-6 engine, 72 crank hp that doesn't translate to more than 65hp at the wheel.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 First Ride Review- Kawasaki 650 Photo- Specs

As you're using wheel hp on the other bikes, on the Patton it looks more like 348 lbs / 65 hp, to a lb/hp of 5.35

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I got that already tod. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts