Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bormió is the starting point for the Stilfserjoch/Passo del Stelvio - one of the most famous biking passes in the Alps.

The western side is less steep and has a much better surface. It runs through pretty dreary scenery on the whole, but the road has been widened in places and mostly resurfaced. Wide, generally good visibility and only a few short bumpy bits - slow down big time for the tunnels! They are unlit, wet, with corners and serious potholes. The old, steep bit by the waterfall has been completely remade with a great series of wide hairpins.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stelvio (continued)

It is still steep in places, especially just before the top, where the Umbrail pass joins from Switzerland. The top is normally very busy - packed with bikes and a bit touristy.

The eastern side is a completely different. It is much steeper and is pretty bumpy as the ground shifts here alot, and it can be closed for a few days after a snow storm, even in July. This side has so many hairpins you lose count -I think about 48 in all on this side, 39 on the west side. Enough for you? Got a stick to shake?

I have never come "up" the eastern side. I think it's an easier descent than climb. Anyway, if you're doing this on a weekend be prepared to be overtaken. However fast you think you are, the locals will piss all over you. :lol

I have been to Stelvio three times now. Once, we came from the Umbrail side, and couldn't go up because of snow. The second time it was beautiful weather & we rode the whole pass. The most recent trip.... it was snowing, but we decided to go anyway.

funny... no tourists at the top and no bikes either :D
the eastern descent was "interesting...."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts