Sport Bikes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been riding for about 4 months now and my girlfriend feels comfortable enough to ride with me. Does anyone have any advice on riding with a passenger? This would be my first time with a passenger. I have rode my bike about 2000 miles so far. thanks zzr600 of course

·
Registered
130 Posts
Allow for braking. Instruct your rider to lean with you while taking curbs. And advise against any extra movements that would distract you. The first time I rode a passenger I felt the extra weight my bike had to carry. I'm sure more folks can add to what I've just mentioned. Be careful and ride safe!

linc2

·
Registered
929 Posts
tell her to brace her hands on the tank when you are stopping or you will squish your testicles do not sit straight up in a turn follow your body position.and dont figit when we are moving or stopped.

also when my wife and i ride i give her a lil tap when i see a large bump 2 taps when im going to accelerate and a squeeze when im making a turn she didnt know about.

and dont clack the damn helments together
:cheers

·
Registered
470 Posts
dont figit when we are moving or stopped.
also when my wife and i ride i give her a lil tap when i see a large bump 2 taps when im going to accelerate and a squeeze when im making a turn she didnt know about.
+1 especially the no movin while slowing down or stopping. i hate when my girl moves around.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Ditto on the allowing for extra braking time and leaning with you in the curves etc. You may also find this helpful in keeping the jewels from getting crushed against the gas tank. It's called the TriboSeat. I have one on the passenger seat of my ZZR. The material actually helps the passenger from sliding around on the seat. Very easy install. Here the link. Jay

ZZR 600 USA MODELS

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
What everyone else has said... also take turns slower, start braking earlier. Like someone said above, if I plan on pinning it, or if I'm about to hit a big bump or something I either tap my girl's leg and she knows to hold on tighter, or I actually grab her left arm and pull it around me tighter. She gets the hint and holds on tighter.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Don't forget to tell her to just simply look into a turn. if the turn is going right, look right with your head only into the turn. It helps to keep the bike balanced because they are ready for turns.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you want one of those Triboseats that ZZRrocket mentioned, I have one brand new in the packaging. Only got it out once to look at it. I never got to put it on my bike before I was rear-ended by a car on it. PM me if you are interested. I'll cut you a deal on it. It should definitely help from keeping your girl sliding up against you while braking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have to wait till Feb to have someone on the back of my bike.

(Virginia's permit law is dumb, considering I'm 18...I can vote, be drafted, and considered an adult, so why do I have to wait 9 months to get my license??)
^^off topic, sorry o_O

·
Registered
106 Posts
1. Tell her she is NOT allowed to mount or dismount the bike without a distinct "OK" from you. Seen many a rider almost go down when he's shifting in to N or something and the lady jumps on the back.

2. When she is getting on and off the bike, have the side stand up and both feet on the ground. If it's leaning, this can put extra stress on the sidestand, and there's a chance it could bend or break. Probably won't happen, but why take the risk?

3. Wave at kids, bikers; flip off scooters, cagers; hold the beer. (Optional)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't have her hold on to me with her arms - its all leg muscles, and if she want to grab something, theres grab bars back there. It gives her a more upright position, which can be more relaxing. Everything else here is accurate - slow down sooner, I would be careful on the curves until you've done 2up quite a bit (my wife still doesn't like quick curves), and make sure shes comfortable. The first few times we rode together she was not loose at all, which threw me off massively.

Don't do a long ride for a while either - let her (and you) get comfortable first.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't have her hold on to me with her arms - its all leg muscles, and if she want to grab something, theres grab bars back there. It gives her a more upright position, which can be more relaxing. Everything else here is accurate - slow down sooner, I would be careful on the curves until you've done 2up quite a bit (my wife still doesn't like quick curves), and make sure shes comfortable. The first few times we rode together she was not loose at all, which threw me off massively.

Don't do a long ride for a while either - let her (and you) get comfortable first.
+1
I have my gf use one hand on the bar and the other on the tank when we stop. good way to get her to lean on a turn is tell her to look around your shoulder in a turn. the stickie pad works on the rear seat, snatch that deal up. if you have a couple hundred ... the Corbin rear seat. even without the backrest that thing is stable.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Grab handles......use them!

When you brake she will hold tight and her body will lean forward during the stop.

During hard braking, she may use the tank to brace herself but the grab handles will work just as well.

When you accelerate tell her to lock her arms out (while holding the grab handles) and allow her body to lean back.

When she mounts the bike, you should have the bike running , both feet on the ground, hands on handlebars, and side stand up. Once my girl mounts she will tap my side(s) to let me know she is ready to go.

Tell her she is a sack of potatoes and not to make any sudden moves, turning her head in the direction of the turn is fine but do not lean while cornering.

Tell her to keep her feet on the footrests at all times even during stops

If you need to get each other attention a light tap works well.

If two up riding is going to be what you primarily do, get you suspension adjusted for this.

The rider needs to be easy on lean angles and braking especially in the beginning!

And whatever you do, Enjoy the ride!

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Passenger_Tip_Sheet.pdf

·
Old time rookie
948 Posts
tell her to brace her hands on the tank when you are stopping or you will squish your testicles do not sit straight up in a turn follow your body position.and dont figit when we are moving or stopped.

and dont clack the damn helments together
:cheers
+1.

It saves your nuts!! I think hand/touch signals work the best with a passenger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts