Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to make a trip to LA on my motorcycle and stay overnight at one of a few friends place so I could ride my bike in the morning and be in LA, and as well as hang with my friends the night before.

But if I have to park it overnight, would a disc lock really do anything? Because I thought parking in the locked position (key turned nearly 180 degree) and having the bike in gear (not neutral) will prevent the bike from being rolled away and will the most secure way to lock the bike without security accessories. So how does a disc lock prevent the bike from being rolled when just putting it in gear already stops it from rolling?

The only 3 areas I would park my bike overnight where my friends live are Beverly Hills, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, and Hollywood. The areas seems safe, but it's not the super rich area since they're paying an average of $1000-1500 month for rent. And it's not really suburban areas, it's still in the city.

I know disc lock is just a deterrent and a thief could just lift the bike and haul it away. But my bike is a new Ninja 650, which kind of sucks its new and may have value for a thief to take. Unless I saw a bunch of newish Ducatis/BMWs or superbikes parked near me, I would feel a little better since there are better options for bike thieves to not target me.

·
Registered
341 Posts
1. Put the bike in neutral, lift front wheel and roll away. Breaking the steering lock in 5 or 6 seconds is optional.

2. Break the steering lock in 5 or 6 seconds, lift the rear wheel and roll away (though only a really dumb thief would not put the bike in neutral here anyway, unless a disc lock was put on the rear rotor).

3. Have a friend pick up the rear, you pick up the front and load into a van/minivan/pickup and drive off.

Disc locks aren't all that effective, though having one with an alarm sensor might deter some thieves. If they really want your bike and it's out in the open, they're taking it. Every security measure ever made can be unmade.

4. It's easier for a thief to take a common bike like yours and ride, unload or chop for parts than for them to do the same with a more exotic make and model. Honda Civics get stolen before Bugattis and BMWs.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The steering lock is easily broken. So that's not a big deal.

You mention "putting your bike in gear". Can't a thief just take his left foot and pop your bike to neutral? Or is there something special about the Ninja 650 that once it's in gear, and the key is turned off that the transmission now won't shift?

A disc lock wraps around a brake rotor in some way (varies on make) and allows the wheel to turn right up to the point that some piece of hardware gets in the way. (Brake caliper, fork, or something).

I had one once, and then one time forgot to take the damn thing off. It broke quite easily without harming my bike. Maybe I bought a cheapie. Probably something like that is better than nothing. But there's no way to stop a determined thief with a buddy and a van.

Your best bet is to go, have fun, and make sure your comprehensive insurance coverage is in place.

So I want to make a trip to LA on my motorcycle and stay overnight at one of a few friends place so I could ride my bike in the morning and be in LA, and as well as hang with my friends the night before.

But if I have to park it overnight, would a disc lock really do anything? Because I thought parking in the locked position (key turned nearly 180 degree) and having the bike in gear (not neutral) will prevent the bike from being rolled away and will the most secure way to lock the bike without security accessories. So how does a disc lock prevent the bike from being rolled when just putting it in gear already stops it from rolling?

The only 3 areas I would park my bike overnight where my friends live are Beverly Hills, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, and Hollywood. The areas seems safe, but it's not the super rich area since they're paying an average of $1000-1500 month for rent. And it's not really suburban areas, it's still in the city.

I know disc lock is just a deterrent and a thief could just lift the bike and haul it away. But my bike is a new Ninja 650, which kind of sucks its new and may have value for a thief to take. Unless I saw a bunch of newish Ducatis/BMWs or superbikes parked near me, I would feel a little better since there are better options for bike thieves to not target me.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
No, no and no. If you're that worried about LA don't go. A disc lock will not even discourage thieves. They'll just pick the bike up and put it in their van. If you chain it to something solid it might stop them if they don't have bolt cutters. I can't imagine a bike thief without them, but there are probably lots of really stupid bike thieves. If they were smart they wouldn't be thieving bikes.

There is something that you can use to make certain you aren't victimized by thieves, and it works each and every time no matter where you go. Its called insurance.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Naw, I think you'll be fine without anything. You're missing the b***** point here. It's just a 650. Bike Thieves aren't out for a 650. They want the 1k gixxers and the 1k CBR RRs. If you're that worried, take the fairings off and leave them at home, it'll lower the value of the bike. I haven't had fairings on my bike in 3 years and nobody has even looked at it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Call insurance and get comprehensive to cover you in case of theft. Park bike anywhere that is convenient for you and enjoy your evening.

If you can't park in a secure area the only thing I can imagine that would actually stop a thief would be to park in a way that your friends' cars are blocking it in against a wall or something so the thief would have to move a car to move your bike.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Call insurance and get comprehensive to cover you in case of theft. Park bike anywhere that is convenient for you and enjoy your evening.

If you can't park in a secure area the only thing I can imagine that would actually stop a thief would be to park in a way that your friends' cars are blocking it in against a wall or something so the thief would have to move a car to move your bike.
this. I've had cars lock my bike in spots before, worked so far. I always have full coverage and peace of mind...never had alarms or locks or shit.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You're staying with a friend, right? Where does the friend store his vehicle? Garage? Controlled access lot? Why not store your bike there?

Or is your friend having a vehicle stolen every night?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
:dafuk

1. If they want it, they'll take it, no matter what you do.

2. You're too stupid to make anything remotely hard enough to deter a thieve. Put the bike in gear, sure, thieves will run away from it.

3. Daddy has money, daddy can pay for insurance. Have him insure your bike like he insures your M3. Insurance will take care of it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
What's he need with daddy's money? He has a very important position as a temporary worker.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Why does anyone seriously respond to this troll? Does he ever come back on after his initial post? I don't think he does. Now the comical responses I can understand but not someone trying to provide a serious response. Unless maybe they just don't know the history of this troll.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Maybe I am naive, but JetFalcon does not strike me as a troll. Just a new rider with little knowledge or practical experience with motorcycles and perhaps with life itself that is trying to learn from others. It's not like his posts (at least the ones I've seen) start out with 'hey all you douchebags on SBN, fuck you but answer me this bullshit question anyway…'

Do as b3av3r suggests and make sure you've got full insurance coverage against theft. Susser and others are correct; if someone really wants your bike, they'll get it.

That said, I use disc locks when I travel or when I'm parking in a questionable area because they are one more deterrent to thieves. It takes more effort to steal a bike with a disc lock than one without, so in my opinion, they're useful against theft; but they're not going to guarantee your bike does not get stolen.

I'd also suggest you ask your friend what his neighborhood is like. Do cars get broken into often? If theft and vandalism is a problem for his area, he'll likely know it; and that should give you a better understanding of whether your bike's going to get fucked with while it is there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
if you don't want your uninsured bike stolen: don't park it outdoors.

If you have it insured, then you can park it wherever you want. WHEN it is finally stolen, (and it will be) then you can easily get a free replacement.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts