Sport Bikes banner

Parking: Hot pavement = Expensive Repair

2K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  GSXR RACER MIKE 
#1 ·
I just wanted to share an experience with everyone to hopefully save someone some grief and $$. I went out to walk my dog after coming home from work today in DC. It has been damn hot for the past few days (90s), and my bike had been parked for no longer than about three hours. I glanced at my bike to see the kickstand buried in tarmac. This parking lot hasn't been repaved for a long time, so it isn't like it was just laid today (I wish I were though).

So anyway, the spot that I parked in had the sun beating down on it for about 12 hours today. I've always heard about people's bikes being down on the side with the kickstand, so just be aware.

Pics follow....

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Nice bike. I have always remembered to put something under the stand, except for one time at a friend's house when I did not expect to be staying very long. I figured I'd drop by for like 10, but I ended up talking for a while, and when I came back to the bike, the stand had buried itself in the asphault. Luckily, it hadn't fallen over either. I carry an old CD jewel case wrapped in duct tape for the time being.

#10 ·
I bought some pucks at the last bike show with suzuki and ducati writen on them. They are really thin too so you can take them everywhere

#12 ·
jim schmidt said:
Get an electrical box block off plate from Home Depot for about a quarter.

These have worked best for me! I carry a couple of mine....enough for me and some friends when we ride in case they didn't bring anything.

#16 ·
Happens to me all the time. I've never actually heard of this causing a bike to fall though. It sinks in about an inch (give or take) and thats it.

I figure it is because once the foot of the peg is *in* the hole it melted in the pavement, it is no longer exposed to direct sunlight any longer and therefore cools. The depth I find my peg dug in is pretty consistent.

As for dealers and others with steel pads/concrete etc for bike parking. That is to protect their pavement more than it is to protect your bike

:D

#19 ·
during the Honda Hoot last week down at the CROT (Deal's Gap) there were (I kid you not) HUNDREDS of holes in the asphalt of their parking lot. They ended up putting spreading plywood scraps all over so people could place one under their kickstand. The big Goldwings would leave 3" diameter holes in the asphalt.

#22 ·
Back in the early 90's I had my ZX-11 almost fall over from that one of the times, it was really buried! It took 2 of us to lift it up because it was so far over, if I remember correctly almost 1/2 of the stand was gone into the pavement! I used a small square of plywood after that like someone else has already said. A crushed pop can placed upside down works if nothing else is around, but I stopped using those as well when I had it happen again with a pop can under it (only sunk about an inch, but the owner of the property was pissed!).

#23 ·
As long as I have been on the net I have been telling people to get something to save their bike on the asphalt be it old or new for in hot weather you bike can be laying on its side.

This year I did not & am surprised that some on here say this all new to them. Shops have them & so do many of the dealers on the net.

Personally I make mine out of the plastic used on the hockey rink board area, same as in so many other places as it must be changed ever once in a while. So mind are 1/4" thick though around 2.5X2.5" or 3X3" & are in one of the pockets or each m/c jacket along with in the tank bag & also under the saddle of my bike.

#24 ·
Smitty said:
Personally I make mine out of the plastic used on the hockey rink board area,
You mean to tell me they play Hockey up there in Canada? :lao :eek:nfloor :devil :joke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.