Sport Bikes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm buying a new 07 FZ6 soon (yay!). I live in Hawaii, and unfortunately I do not have a garage or covered parking available where I live. Obviously, it's sunny and rainy here a lot. I was just curious if any of you have had experience with parking your bike outside most of the time? How quickly do they rust/lose their nice appearance when exposed to the elements and to what extent do these occur? How well do bike covers work?

Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
122 Posts
I also don't have a garage, If its going to rain I put a cover on it, I got a $90 cover for it, I also have something you do not have out there, snow :)

The cover is made by guardian and looks pretty heavy duty, however they will deteriorate and will probably only last a few years before needing replacement.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've never been to Hawaii but I lived on the beach here in San Diego for a couple years. The salt air was enough to start things rusting when the weather was right to make dew. I'd say cover it always, not just when you expect rain. Somebody posted a picture of a kind of tent looking cover a week or so back that looked pretty cool...

·
Registered
497 Posts
always cover it, your chain will look rusty in no time but keep it lubed or greased and it should be ok.

other than that your wheels will look crappy unless you have a cover that goes all the way to the ground but its not the end of the world.

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
Rent a garage and then re-rent it back to a couple other people with bikes for cheap....you'll get a garage for free that way. You can easily fit 3 to 4 bikes on one side of a two car garage.

·
Banned
4,236 Posts
After About 5 Months, Mine Has Never Been Indoors. Things Will Start To Rust. I Have A Nelson Rig Cover That Helps. But If It Rains Often, Go With The Cycle Shell. I Think Its Like $300. I Will Be Getting One Next Winter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm very pleased with my Nelson-Rigg Silverstreak cover. It has heat panels up high for high exhaust. Vents for contrling humidity. reflective piping for being visible. And a soft panel over the windscreen.
:boink

·
Registered
269 Posts
I need to get me something because I have found that my chickens like to get on my bike. Pisses me off every time I come out to a big glob of crap on my bike.

Khyren

·
Registered
292 Posts
Khyren said:
I need to get me something because I have found that my chickens like to get on my bike. Pisses me off every time I come out to a big glob of crap on my bike.

Khyren
I would be having a lot of chicken dinners if they had done that to mine...

·
Banned
2,576 Posts
Khyren said:

Khyren

yeah....eat the chickens...there is a reason they are low on the food chain.

·
Registered
214 Posts
cyclone said:
what's rain and humidity? :)

Its what make the body's stink in my city so you know they are there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.