Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have to park your bike outside all the time?

Looks like i may have to for a while. so im looking for ideas to keep it say while it outside.

Other than putting it on the center stand and locking the steering what else should i do?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Get a disc brake lock, the steering lock wont do squat. Get a cover tarp or something to, just to keep it out of the rain and at least a bit concealed...

Didn't see you posted the same thing as me haha...great minds think alike!

·
Registered
623 Posts
!!!Kennedy!!! said:
Get a disc brake lock, the steering lock wont do squat. Get a cover tarp or something to, just to keep it out of the rain and at least a bit concealed...

Didn't see you posted the same thing as me haha...great minds think alike!
Over here in Brooklyn your best bet is a Kryptonite chain or something really strong and secure both wheels and the bike to something really strong. Motorcycles usually get stolen by being loaded up into a van or truck etc... 2 guys come out and its gone in 30 seconds.

·
Believe It or Not........
5,339 Posts
I kept my bike outside all the time except the one year I rented a garage at my apartment complex in Austin.

I usually parked it sideways behind my car with a Dowco cover and a cable lock. Usually, folks didn't park in front of it when I drove my car but occasionally, a neighbor would park in front of it! I would usually block their asses in with my car so they'd get the point!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I park my bike outside everyday, has been since I've owned it. Just all depends on where you live. I live in a nice neighborhood, and my town was rated like 2nd safest in america a few years back. 15000 people to like 80+ police officers, in a town no b***** than 4sq miles. Nothing really happens around here accept the occasion meth lab being busted.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I park my bike outside all the time.. Semi-decent neighborhood, but a couple bikes still get yoinked every year around here.

1st thing is I got full coverage insurance.. If they take my bike, I'll get a new one.

2nd I park my bike inbetween my 2 parked cars.. you can't lift the bike out, cause you can't fit enough people to lift it on either side. Then I put on the steering lock. A security light comes on if you go next to my bike.

3rd I chain my bike to the frame of my car with a HUGE chain and lock.

4th I put a big orange tarp over the bike, the tarp makes tons of noise when anyone moves it. I chain the tarp on with a smaller bicycle cable lock, and wrap the cable around the front tire to stop anyone from rolling my bike.

So to steal my bike, a theif would need to cut off the cable lock with a big ass pair of wire cutters, remove one really big loud nylon tarp, cut the huge chain with a grinder or torch, smash the ignition to take off the steering lock, and then roll my bike past the cars... Within 15 feet of a whole block of houses, under a bright security light.. and then get away before I run out with a gun.

·
Registered
251 Posts
A bike cover would help keep rain, dirt, bird shit, and other elements off of it. It'll also draw less attention with a cover. I know when I parked mine outside when I went to school my bike got tons of attention, a lot of it negative attention. People would stick gum on it, sit on it, and just do other stupid shit. If they can't see it they won't become curious.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
sungwei said:
I know when I parked mine outside when I went to school my bike got tons of attention, a lot of it negative attention. People would stick gum on it, sit on it, and just do other stupid shit.
that sucks. thats why you gotta kick someones ass every once in a while.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
like many of the others have said, I would use a kryptonite chain through the wheel and swingarm and park a car behind it. I would also look into a storage unit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i know its ghetto, but i know some kids that just take padlocks and lock it on their rotors (if they are cross drilled), its something cheap until you have something better.

as far as the cover goes, lock it as well. i had my bike parked on my friends front porch at college, put the cover on around 8pm, drove past at midnight and it had already been stolen.

the steering lock already on the bike helps, but is easy to break

ive also heard of alarms that send a signal to your key chain to alert you, but i dont know much about these.

the sad part is, if someone is set on stealing your bike, and actually thinks it through, they have a decent chance of taking it if its outside.

if someone works at a dealership, or has access to information through a dealership, you can take someones vin number and get the original key cut for it, without ever bring the bike or the original key in.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I chain my bike to a tree everynight and cover it up . I got a lock and steel braided chain combo at lowe's for about $30 and it would take some time to get through it. I keep it covered with one of those blue painter's tarps. It keeps the bike clean, out of easy sight, and the cover is very noisy when moving it so I would probably hear it being taken off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If my last name was Trump I'd hire a 24 hour security guard. But then again, if if my last name was Trump, I'd probably own a mansion with a big garage.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Other than the concern of the bike getting stolen, I would also be concerned about the tires. The constant sun on the tires dries them out fast. From what I've read the sun pulls out all the moisture in the rubber and leads to dry rot.

People in Minnesota really seem to hate motorcyclists so I would also worry about people slashing the tires. People are just idiots.

Be safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts