Sport Bikes banner

Parked the bike horizontally

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  charlieoneseven 
#1 ·
:(

Well today i've parked my bike horizontally.

Situation:
Van is slowing down for a street coming from the right. I slow down. The guy accelerates and then slams on the brakes while i'm also accelerating.
Off course i had to brake hard and instinctivly tried to avoid collision which results in a crash.

I fell of the bike while the bike itself decided to make a couple pirouettes...

Damage to me (most important):
minor. Just a soar spot on my left leg but the full riding gear paid back it's money.

Damage to the bike :( :
-Upper panel broke to pieces
-passenger bar scratched
-steer scratched
-small dent in the tank where the handle bar slammed in it.
-front signal light damaged.

But now the strangest thing: There's a hole in my engine on the opposite side where it hit the road. So all oil is out of the bike.

Is this part just replacable or does this mean that my season is over?
My yamaha sliders DID work because my frame + engine didn't have a scratch...

Well this really sucks because i planned a bike trip and am leaving on friday so i hope they'll be able to fix it...

Please keep my hopes up :a2

See less See more
#4 ·
oh man...sorry to hear...seems like people have been going down lately.

Fairings are replaceable. Not as expensive as I thought either, but not too sure about being in europe. Relatively straight forward install, except for one damn bolt that was behind the speedo.

I think actually all the parts can be ordered...hopefully, your riding season isn't over yet.

Glad to hear you're ok.

#5 ·
Wow, sorry to hear about that. Glad you're ok, which is most important. Sounds like the bike held up very, very well considering it did pirrouettes as you said. As much as it sucks, remember you came out ok which really is the most important part in the end.

#7 ·
Sorry to hear man ..... hopefully whatever damage is done is easily repairable. ANd at least your still around to do the repairs :dblthumb

And ya, lately it does seem like a bad time for bikes. Just today I almost had a run in with the back of a car. I was in the far left lane of the highway goin to work ... only moving about 70mph. Up ahead in the midle lane was a car .... and a sears driving school one at that. Anyway, he puts his blinker on and starts pullin into my lane, since he's a little ways up I decide to move into the middle lane. So I do a quick headcheck, throw my blinker on and start moving over. Then the jackass must have got a glimps of me and paniced cause he swerved back into the middle lane for some stupid reason. Luckely I was still moving over to the right so I was at more of an angle .... came in handy cause I hit the brakes, quickly checked the far right lane and was able to swerve into it since nobody was there. If I had been pointing straight I probably wouldn't have had the time/room to swerve like i did. That's pretty much the first time I've cut across the middle lane at a good 45 degree angle.

#9 ·
Nice to hear that you are okay. A lot of people are going down. It is summertime, the weather is nice, and a ton of people are out and about. It seems just about every weekend, I hear of a biker down. Sometimes dead. Just last weekend, a Captain was riding his bike, did something stupid, the bike landed on him, he wasn't wearing his helmet, and now he is gone. Just be careful and please wear your gear. At least a helmet...

#10 ·
I don't think he will ever doubt the value of riding gear Hams. ICON got the advertizement of the year with the guy sitting on the curb and his bike laid down in the background. The gear may look funny until you use it. It reminds me that I need to wear it every time and stop tempting fate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.