Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well anyway i just checked out a 03 1400 miles used hyabusa jk.. a very good beginner friendly 500r in south jersey bought for 3gs and he will deliver it to my house in north jersey think its a pritty good deal but anyways my mom found out about this thanks to my big mouthed siblings. but we were talking about it because she told me not to get one b4 but her attitude seemed to change now and kinda seems like she is treating me like an adult becuase she said instead of jsut kicking me outta the house like b4 she said that to be safe and i told her about taking the proper percausions with the msf course as one of my notches on my belt and not acting like a squid who only wears a helmet. so now her attitude changed and it seems like it doesnt bother her as much now. she was tring to scare me outta it by saying how other drivers are bad and one hit... you know the story but yea for all those out there that want a bike but parents dont want you to keep perservering and maybe your dream may come soon. hopefully i will get my bike this sat morning so i can practice for the whole day and that my mom doesnt change her outlook on this bike... pictures will be comming soon as soon as i learn how to post it

ps sorry about the long post but been kinda happy since i heard her say its ok

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
The funny thing is, I know how she feels. I love to ride, but I have an 11-year-old son who is starting to show an interest in bikes...and that really scares me. I don't know what to do, because I can't really afford to buy even a dirtbike for him right now. Should I be a hypocrite and tell him that he can't ride? This is going to be one of those tough issues, I can tell!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Well, you should tell him to start saving and, with your help, get a little learner bike. I don't know how much you can finance, but I bet you can get a $1000 or less dirtbike and finance it.

But NEVER limit his options, I wish my parents supported me on what I wanted to do. They never told me what I could do, just what I couldn't, but if they had supported me to do what I liked, my life would be completely different right now...

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
God, I hope my kid doesn't want a bike soon, I know how I am on mine from time to time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my mom being that she doesnt take any risks at all i understand that she would want me to be safe but its jsut a thing of mine to have a motorcycle and it would be very hard to stop that... but yea she said that she will not insure it for me but im cool with that becasue i have already anticipated that my mom will not help me on anything and because of that i have been working for err 2 years now in order to support the bike the insurance the apparal(boots, gloves, jacket and helmet) the bike and what i think is everything in between. so since it is my money shouldnt i be able to do what i want with it

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
freeky929 said:
The funny thing is, I know how she feels. I love to ride, but I have an 11-year-old son who is starting to show an interest in bikes...and that really scares me. I don't know what to do, because I can't really afford to buy even a dirtbike for him right now. Should I be a hypocrite and tell him that he can't ride? This is going to be one of those tough issues, I can tell!
Hell, give me a few years and I'll adopt him. I dream of having a son that wants to ride at a young age. Get him started as early as possible. My kid is gonna be riding probably a small 125 race bike (street) at the age of 11 as long as he doesn't want to do ballet or some crap. Try to swing some way to get him a cheap dirt bike, and if you have some way to afford a race bike that you can pick up for a couple thousand easily, and some track time, get that kid racing! Good luck with him whatever you decide to do :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
First, congrats...glad your mom is sorta ok with it.

Second, Damn man....USE punctuation when posting...MY EYES!

3rd, for Freeky....Get him on a bike as SOON as you can. Be concerned, never afraid. My boy has been riding since he was 6, he's now 10 and can handle things just fine. Shit, my family worries about ME more than him when it comes to riding off road....I've given them plenty of reason to!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Isn't it interesting that we ride motorcycles yet we don't want our children to do it? My wife and I were talking about our seven year old yesterday. She mentioned that it's only a matter of time before he wants one for himself. I would consider a small dirtbike at some point but I just can bring myself to thinking about him riding a streetbike when he gets older. I started riding streetbikes at a later age (30) and I can't imagine being a sixteen year old or even a twenty year old riding a standard bike let alone a sportbike. Yes it's hyprocritical but I don't want my kid riding a street motorcycle until he's a minimum of eighteen or maybe I could stall until he's thirty. Maturity has so much to do with riding responsibly. Kids have a hard enough time driving a car without getting into an accident and you throw in a motorcycle??? YIKES!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
taziscool said:
First, congrats...glad your mom is sorta ok with it.

Second, Damn man....USE punctuation when posting...MY EYES!
yea next time i have to run it through ms word or soemthing. i jsut wanted to tell you the whole story because i just had gotten finished talking to my mom earlier.
also i think i would be fine on a motorcycle because i have taken the proper percausions but also i have been driving for year and a half now and never gotten into an accident. (one time when a lady hit me at low speed, not my fault) so i think that is pritty good compared to my brother that gotten into a few accidents when he first got his car.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
my mom was for it. about a year and a half ago we got my 250 rebel and saw the new 600RR in red and black :drool and she wanted that one for me!!! my dad said he never get me a rocket...i like it when parents change their minds... :twofinger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts