Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people i need some help with finishing off my gear.

I need boots and pants. I want them because im starting to push harder on a much faster bike, plus i never get off the thing, no longer have the car. I really dont want to fuck up my legs/ankles/feet etc etc.

If possible, id really like something that would go over my work pants (suit pants) i looked at some draggin jeans, they look alright for that because they're not as tight as leathers, and i can also wear them around at uni.

Any opinions on draggin jeans? If not, a sensible alternative. The very best in leather is no alternative because im a student and i have to pay for the shit myself. :)

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Good plan to get pants and boots. Your lower body shreds on the cheese grater we call the road just as well as your upper body. Get boots that come well up over your ankle. Preferably Sidi or A* style riding boots. The higher the better.

I have a pair of Draggin jeans and think they're great for what they do. They will provide some abrasion resistance, but have no armor for impacts. I don't think you'd have much luck wearing them over regular clothes, though, as they tend to run tight (at least on me :) ). You being more local to the source, there may be some models available to you that we don't get here. BTW, I found their customer service to be great (Grant).

If you're looking for something to go over regular/suit clothes, I'd look at some sort of textile pants. Those also usually come with armor. The best over-suit is probably Aerostich, but that may not fit your budget. You didn't mention what type of jacket you have, but ideally the jacket and pants should zip together at least in the back. This will help prevent them from separating and exposing skin as you slide down the road. A good tailor can put in a zipper if the brands don't match.

Edit: just noticed that Draggin Jeans now has armor as an option at least in the knees of their pants.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RayOSV said:
If you're looking for something to go over regular/suit clothes, I'd look at some sort of textile pants. Those also usually come with armor.
Edit: just noticed that Draggin Jeans now has armor as an option at least in the knees of their pants.
Thanks man

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've got a pair of FirstGear HT Overpants that I use for commuting. They have soft foam for "armor" in the knees and hips. The full length zippers make getting them on and off over dress pants nice and easy. Expect a few wrinkles in your dress pants, especially down by the ankles - nothing real serious. I like the pants so far. I've no idea how they'd hold up in a crash, but certainly better than dress pants.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Kaiser Soze said:
I need boots and pants. I want them because im starting to push harder on a much faster bike, plus i never get off the thing, no longer have the car. I really dont want to fuck up my legs/ankles/feet etc etc.
Get the boots ASAP. Whatever you get, just get it. Ankle injuries are the worst. Very complicated part of your body. Obviously get something over the ankle for the best protection. I got my Oxtars from www.newenough.com on clearance when everybody else was asking for almost double what they wanted for a pair.

I wear leather pants, probably the best protection available, more so than Draggin' Jeans.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mikem317 said:
Get the boots ASAP. Whatever you get, just get it. Ankle injuries are the worst. Very complicated part of your body. Obviously get something over the ankle for the best protection. I got my Oxtars from www.newenough.com on clearance when everybody else was asking for almost double what they wanted for a pair.

I wear leather pants, probably the best protection available, more so than Draggin' Jeans.
Yeah im thinking of getting some used leather boots off ebay while i save for a good pair. Sounds like im thinking the same as you. I look at my exposed ankles and think fuck this i gotta get some boots NOW.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm still debating whether to get the motoport ultra II 1000 denier cordura pant or the aerostich darien lights for hot weather. I think the ultra II will be my pick, but I like the look of the dariens. in the meantime I wear the alpinestars leather pants.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I were you, I'd look into a set of leather overpants. I just got myself a pair from jafrum.com The price is good, and the leather is still pretty nice--just make sure you oil it up with something, as the leather comes untreated (not waterproofed). If you decide you like 'em, they do tend to run a little large--just a warning.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah going to the shop tomorrow. Probably try a few on and get a feel, then go home and try to buy the same thing on ebay. :beer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts