Sport Bikes banner

paint questions

447 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  antireebok 
#1 ·
ok I swear I have read at least 20 pages of paint info from the stickies and other posts. I am so confused right now on each step, lucky for me i am still sanding. I am just going to explain what needs to be done and how I am gonna do it, and hopefully one of the bodymen will chime in and tell me what im doing right/wrong.

Ok so I have started sanding down my plastics with 220 grit and an electric sander. came out extremely smooth on the two pieces i have completed. i sanded through the clear and peeled the graphics off. I did go through the paint in a few places though down to the orangy part.

I am planning on using spray paint, probably color rite or somthing of that quality. I know it wont turn out as good as a pro, but if its glossy and no orange peel and no scratches then it will be better than what its got. ok I am not sure if I need to use primer? and if I do can i get just a simple step to follow to make sure I do everything right.

on the sides and upper fairings I wont be using any fiberglass or anything to fix anything. but on the tail fairing i have two cracks to fix that will probably be fiberglassed from the back or somthing like that, havnt decided how i want to do it yet.

See less See more
#2 ·
There's a sticky on paint that outlines what all the steps that I use to paint peices are. Other people may do a few things differently, but the overall process is the same.

Dont use fiberglass to repair cracks. Plastic weld it. There is a 'how to' in the How-To section. Just search on it. It's cheaper, easier, and will not fall out like fiberglass will.

If you do any bodywork, you'll at LEAST need to spray primer/surfacer. If you put any putty in the bike, I suggest you spray THAT area with sealer to keep the dyes in the putty from staining your basecoat.

Phil

#3 ·
ok I think i've got it. my process is going to be like this, tell me if this is wrong.

plastic weld the two cracks, sand everything down, put bondo over where the "cracks" were and sand over to smooth out, primer or sealer over where the cracks were, wet sand the area where the primer/sealer is base coat, clear coat, wetsand, another clear coat, wetsand, wait 3-5 days, polish and wax.

#4 ·
close..

Plastic Weld, smooth everything with what filler you need. Seal either the entire thing, or just the areas with filler and prime/surface the rest. Sand the sealer/primer/surfacer, basecoat, clearcoat, then colorsand and polish according to the spec sheet for your clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.