Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latelly I've been feeling some neck pain on long rides..kinda on the back of the neck. After a while I get really stiff, and turning to look over the shoulder is a b*tch... I try stretching my shoulders up & down a bit and often get painful "stings" high up between the shoulder blades. I've had this condition for a couple of weeks and thinking maybe this can't be "walked off", and I should be doing something about it..

I'm just wondering what other discomforts people feel while riding and how do you deal with it..

·
Registered
912 Posts
I get kinda the same thing but it does go away after i am done ridding.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It gets better when I stop riding too, but last season I didn't have this problem at all. And as soon as I hop on the bike the next day, the pain comes back very fast. I'm starting to think maybe it has more to do with my deskjob or something..

·
Registered
501 Posts
it's common. I get it on longer all day rides. try tilting your head a bit forward instead of tilted back. you'll have to look "up" with your eyes a little to get your neck back in proper alignment with your body.

could also be a bad fitting helmet or heavy helmet. try relaxing more when you ride.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is going to sound stupid, but you said deskjob. Do you use a computer all day? If you have to stare at a monitor all day the top of the monitor should be at eye level to reduce strain on the eyes and, you guessed it, neck. I raised mine up with about a 4" (don't know what that is in cm) pedastel and had some pretty quick relief. You should try that.

HTH,
Mike

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LifeLiberty you're right, I noticed it gets better when I tilt my head forward. Maybe I've just catch some bad habits. It's just that looking up all the time is tiring as well! I noticed I'm not relaxed but I figured it was because my neck was stiff to begin with..

Yeah I have a screen-staring job.. a while ago my working chair broke in a raised position so it could very well be the reason.. anyway I got some horse liniment from a vet, rubbed in some and I'm sweating like a pig now. Feeling much better :flamed

·
Registered
501 Posts
also, you can take some ibuprophen and drink plenty of water. stop more often, about once per hour. maybe think about purchasing some helibars or genmar risers.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Any reoccuring pain I get in my neck and back that reoccurs from sport or if I got one from riding I wouldnt hesitate on going to the doctor to check you out. I might be nothing but if it is something they might be able to help you

·
Registered
394 Posts
I get a sore neck too after a ride on the rocket. Tilting my head down and looking up seems to help me.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
It's part of getting older and there is no known cure.

·
Banned
912 Posts
The rule of thumb is if you have pain in your neck or back don't let it slide, get it looked at by a doctor. You my have a pinched nerve. No since in riding if you can't enjoy it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'd see a physical therapist if it persists or starts hurting with other activities

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Yea, that happened to me after I did 10 hours of riding in 2 or 3 days. Do some stretching and take some aspirin. My latest problem I have is that I normally ride with full leathers and stick to the seat, but about a week ago I went riding in jeans and crushed my dick on the gas tank when I hit the brakes before a turn. Every time I get a boner now it hurts like hell. Doesn't really stop me from getting boners all the time, but it is a little inconvenient.

·
Registered
260 Posts
wescoas1 said:
Yea, that happened to me after I did 10 hours of riding in 2 or 3 days. Do some stretching and take some aspirin. My latest problem I have is that I normally ride with full leathers and stick to the seat, but about a week ago I went riding in jeans and crushed my dick on the gas tank when I hit the brakes before a turn. Every time I get a boner now it hurts like hell. Doesn't really stop me from getting boners all the time, but it is a little inconvenient.
good story =o)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It is not so much as one getting older in age for I am 74 yrs of age & this did effect me on ONE bike. That was a Suzy GSXR-750 where the riding position was to extreme & especially the reach of the bars & how low they were. This made it hard on my neck as I tried to keep eyes on traffic in town or traffic on they hwy.

My ex-Yamaha TZR-250 did not, nor does my '97 Yamaha YZF600r or the '00 Honda 929 & lastly not the '03 Honda 954. The riding positions suit me better & I am not straining my neck look around at the traffic.

I ride basically six to eight hrs constantly on the above bikes at least three or four times of the week.

Good chance the rest of you are suffering from the same & it sounds like it what with tilting the head, the stretching & such. I use to do the same thing only in dumping the GSXR-750 in '00 was the answer.

So give some thought, very serious thought, towards the distance of the bars, how low they are & are you straining your neck (check this out with a helmet ON) to see the traffic or even higher.

Take it from an old sod that has been riding for 58 yrs & into cafe racers back in the late 40s & on to when sportbikes started to arrive.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't ride at all this weekend and the symptoms are almost gone.. My sport-tourer has a fairly upright seating position compared to sportbikes, and after 20.000 miles on it this is the first time I'm experiencing this so I figure a therapist is my best bet. I've stopped lifting as well, been hitting the back pretty hard a month ago, maybe I got a small injure without realising it and it's gotten worst after the day-long ridings I've been doing..

.. and AFAIK, cure for old age is whatever Smitty is doing :leghump

·
Registered
1 Posts
Neck Pain

I have a VFR too and have neck pain as well. However, my neck pain can probably be attributed to too much computer work. You may have too much stress, so get a good neck massage and take some (4) ibuprophen, don't look at the computer too much and keep riding (though probably not right after the ibuprophen).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts