Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my best friends, Joe and Amy decided to quit their crappy jobs and move south to Florida from Rochester Ny. They are looking at Venice or Pensocola. I figured, shit, I have no ties for living in the worst city on the planet so why don't I go.
I do, however have a Customs job in the works. But that takes years, two of my friends took 2.5 and 3 years to go to Academy. And thats if I make it (but I will)
Anyhoooo, I decided at age 21 I need to finally do something for ME. I will wait until spring so the gf and I can sell our bikes for the most, and we will go. The geo is staying behind. It wont make it down there...
Right now I'm living at home, working a shitty part time job where they ALWAYS promise more hours and never ever give them unless I threaten to walk out. The gf is in the same boat but works 40+ hours at Walgreens, and makes excellent money.
Before I go, I will get a second job to make some extra scratch, sell the Ducati for hopefully around $4-4.5K.
And bikes in FL are stupid cheap from what they are up here.
Joe and Amy are leaving in 3 weeks, we will be down in 6 months or
less. They found a 2br townhouse 5 miles from the beach for 600some and a beautiful house for 750. Properties are WAY WAY cheaper then in Rochester. So that's a plus

I need some advice and some reassurance as I'm absoutly terrified. If anybody has done this, some tips would be appreciated

Sent from my PG86100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I've packed up and moved. From rural IL down to Raleigh, NC. It was for a girl.... but shit's WAY better down here. Better jobs, more fun stuff to do, better people. Better everything.

Personally, I hate florida... but as far as moving to a new place- it's not as big of a deal as you think it is. I'd pick up right now and move somewhere else if I needed to. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I've packed up and moved. From rural IL down to Raleigh, NC. It was for a girl.... but shit's WAY better down here. Better jobs, more fun stuff to do, better people. Better everything.

Personally, I hate florida... but as far as moving to a new place- it's not as big of a deal as you think it is. I'd pick up right now and move somewhere else if I needed to. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Where in rural IL?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Good choice on the move.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I have no regrets. None at all.

Reactions: Luvin' Twins

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
florida would be a poor choice. High cost of living without the buffed up income levels. lived there for 8 years

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Yeah, there ARE parts of florida that are cheap to live in. But there's reasons that they are cheap.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
i have lived a highly mobile, almost transient life for 4 years now. if i am still living in my current apartment when spring comes it will be the longest i have stayed in one place (or state) since i left for college.

a few of the thing that i do to keep this possible.

1. everything i own fits into a Subaru Impreza (except the motorcycle, which i bought this summer at the place i currently live)

2. i always check around before moving into a place. even with this my low budget (500$ a month utilities included limit on rent and most of the time i pay closer to 300$) means that i have accumulated some interesting stories about room-mates. i also have a list of things that i will avoid in future roommates (if you want i can post it)

3. i bring my own tools, and have enough mechanical, medical, wilderness, and electrical diagnostic skills that i am seldom limited to one job opportunity. (and now i have a degree, YES!!!)

4. i am willing and able to live out of my car if all else fails even in the dead of winter.

5. the more labor you put into preparing food the less it costs. this means hunting/gathering<bulk foods< fresh veggies< meat<prepared food. also avoid buying water if you can.

6. have a goal in mind to get you threw this. otherwise you might loose your will to carry on. for me this is the idea of being a teacher/having all my experiences as interesting stories i can tell my students/people on the Internet.

On a different note

you have a big advantage that I do not. You seem to be in a stable relationship. This means that you have built-in redundancy in many areas. Many things like jobs, house work, motivation, memory, and not making dumb mistakes will be easier for you than a single individual. because you and your partner can pick up the slack for each other when the other screws up. All in all my friends in stable relationships seam to be much more prosperous than myself.

In the end I say go for the move. The worst that can happen is your plans fall threw, and you end up living out of a small car in weather that never gets to -45 degrees. The chances of this outcome are far smaller for you than for me because of your relationship. The best that can happen is unlimited, happy life, good food, nice weather, and prosperity none of it is out of reach or even that hard.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
i have lived a highly mobile, almost transient life for 4 years now. if i am still living in my current apartment when spring comes it will be the longest i have stayed in one place (or state) since i left for college.

a few of the thing that i do to keep this possible.

1. everything i own fits into a Subaru Impreza (except the motorcycle, which i bought this summer at the place i currently live)

2. i always check around before moving into a place. even with this my low budget (500$ a month utilities included limit on rent and most of the time i pay closer to 300$) means that i have accumulated some interesting stories about room-mates. i also have a list of things that i will avoid in future roommates (if you want i can post it)

3. i bring my own tools, and have enough mechanical, medical, wilderness, and electrical diagnostic skills that i am seldom limited to one job opportunity. (and now i have a degree, YES!!!)

4. i am willing and able to live out of my car if all else fails even in the dead of winter.

5. the more labor you put into preparing food the less it costs. this means hunting/gathering<bulk foods< fresh veggies< meat<prepared food. also avoid buying water if you can.

6. have a goal in mind to get you threw this. otherwise you might loose your will to carry on. for me this is the idea of being a teacher/having all my experiences as interesting stories i can tell my students/people on the Internet.

On a different note

you have a big advantage that I do not. You seem to be in a stable relationship. This means that you have built-in redundancy in many areas. Many things like jobs, house work, motivation, memory, and not making dumb mistakes will be easier for you than a single individual. because you and your partner can pick up the slack for each other when the other screws up. All in all my friends in stable relationships seam to be much more prosperous than myself.

In the end I say go for the move. The worst that can happen is your plans fall threw, and you end up living out of a small car in weather that never gets to -45 degrees. The chances of this outcome are far smaller for you than for me because of your relationship. The best that can happen is unlimited, happy life, good food, nice weather, and prosperity none of it is out of reach or even that hard.
I dont think this is what OP had in mind, Grizzly Adams.:eek:nfloor

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
what do ya think yer doin' callin' me Grizzly Adams. he was Married, with children an' had a constant companion in Lady Washington.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
what do ya think yer doin' callin' me Grizzly Adams. he was Married, with children an' had a constant companion in Lady Washington.
I dont see the OP hunting and gathering, having mad wilderness skills, or living out of his car in the dead of winter. Although it may unintentionally turn out that way.:eek:nfloor

By the way, for your age, you know an awful lot about Grizzly A.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
i would be surprised if Florida did not have deer/duck/goose hunting. or "pick your own" farms that sell produce really cheap.

i have found that getting mad in the wilderness never accomplishes anything least of all making you skilled. besides the OP probably has other skills that can be subbed in for mine. i was trying to show that i like to keep a broad net for jobs so that i can pick from several. (it is also probable that i enjoy bragging over the Internet)

living out of a car in the dead of Florida winter probably is not that bad.

3min on wikipedia for Grizzly A.

i intended the top part of my post to be my guide for when the worst outcome happens, and to gain bragging rights.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
besides the OP probably has other skills that can be subbed in for mine.
If not, at the very least OP has the GF he could always parlay for cash and goods when things get rough. I've never seen pics, but I'll bet she could earn a couple bologna sandwiches.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Or since he'd be on the coast he could just fish.:)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts