Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about moving there. hows the riding and about storage during the non-riding months. hate to miss the year round riding here but think it would be better raising the kids and family life and all around better out there. hopefully gonna fly out there a few time to see if i could handle it with the humidity and snow. trying to make it out there in aug. or sept. when i know more ill pm you guys to hopefully see you and talk.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
redoliander said:
thinking about moving there. hows the riding and about storage during the non-riding months. hate to miss the year round riding here but think it would be better raising the kids and family life and all around better out there. hopefully gonna fly out there a few time to see if i could handle it with the humidity and snow. trying to make it out there in aug. or sept. when i know more ill pm you guys to hopefully see you and talk.
I live in Northeastern PA an hours drive from Philly. I moved here from Wisconsin after I got out of the MIlitary in 1996. The winters here aren't too bad compared to Wisconsin. :lao Of course coming from AZ is a different situation. I know people who ride from Mar/Apr to Oct/Nov. It all depends on the weather and how much cold you can stand. Some winters you get a few days that it is warm enough to ride. The roads here are phenomenal. Lots of hills and mountains. Some real twisty roads. A real great place to ride. If you are looking for employment, you might want to look around the Philadelphia or Pittsburgh area. Out my way there is Allentown, King of Prussia, Reading, and York to name a few places you could job hunt. I'm sure other people on here will be able to give you more ideas. I'm not as knowledgable since I haven't lived here that long. Overall PA is a good place to live. You can contact me anytime if you have questions.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
The riding is great around Pa. There are more twistie roads than anywhere else. Lots of elevation changes and a lot of pretty areas to ride in.

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
2,073 Posts
I live in central PA. York, Harrisburg area. I lived out west for 5 years but was born and raised here. The riding is pretty good, I'll ride in the winter so long as it's above freezing and not raining. The humidity was tough to get used to again but the cost of living is much less than Cali was. Nice back roads to cruise. I did miss seeing green trees and mountains when I was out west.

Good luck, be in touch if you move here.
Erik

·
WYPIWYG
497 Posts
I live in East Central PA. About a half hour north of Reading and about 45 minutes west of Allentown. I am actually about an hour from alot of the b***** cities. I can make it to Wilkes-Barre, Harrisburg, Allentown, Lancaster and a bunch of other big cities all within an hour or so. I live near Pottsville...home of Yuengling beer, America's oldest brewery. If you are coming out to take a look around, go on the tour. I am just south of the coal region which is rough looking terrain...lots of ATV trails. The roads in my area are awesome. I take an hour ride to work every now and then and the last 2 miles up the mountain is the best by far. I am going to try and take an avi movie with my digital camera of the last 2 miles of road. The cost of living around here is great. You can still buy land or a nice house very reasonably. Once you get closer to Reading, Allentown or any of the other big cities it goes up, but you are close enough to commute to those areas if you dont mind.

Winters are hit and miss. Sometimes we luck out and dont get alot of snow and others are a bear. I would not ride in the winter once they put down cinders and salt. Too much loose material on the road.

Feel free to shoot me an email or ask any questions. I love the outdoors and PA has some of the nicest. Plenty of hunting, fishing, golfing, skiing...you name it.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I went from PA to Arizona to PA....

redoliander said:
I was born/raised in Western PA (yes, we pronounce it Pee-Ay), then moved to eastern PA (45 min North of Philly) after college. From there I moved to Arizona Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa for a little over a year, then back to Eastern PA. I find riding far more enjoyable in PA, then in Arizona. I remember it being too hot to ride in the summer and I've not had that problem here. Then again, I remember riding in the winter time and I don't do much of that here, since I hate the cinders/salt on the road.

I just bought a house about 15 miles South of Allentown and house/property prices are really bad right now around here. Western PA is still decent, but as you get closer to big cities it gets expensive. Drop me a PM if I can answer any questions.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
jrevans said:
I was born/raised in Western PA (yes, we pronounce it Pee-Ay), then moved to eastern PA (45 min North of Philly) after college. From there I moved to Arizona Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa for a little over a year, then back to Eastern PA. I find riding far more enjoyable in PA, then in Arizona. I remember it being too hot to ride in the summer and I've not had that problem here. Then again, I remember riding in the winter time and I don't do much of that here, since I hate the cinders/salt on the road.

I just bought a house about 15 miles South of Allentown and house/property prices are really bad right now around here. Western PA is still decent, but as you get closer to big cities it gets expensive. Drop me a PM if I can answer any questions.
Nah man. It's not PA...it's Pensyltuckey!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So many PA riders...

With so many PA riders we should all get together and share our secret roads with one another. I am in the Washington Crossing/Langhorne Area 25 miles northeast of Philly. Great riding anolg the Delaware River and surrounding area.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
scdxs said:
With so many PA riders we should all get together and share our secret roads with one another. I am in the Washington Crossing/Langhorne Area 25 miles northeast of Philly. Great riding anolg the Delaware River and surrounding area.
Check out this thread. http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=282183

We should all get together and have a PA FZ6 get together.

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well it looks like ill be moving to pa sooner than later. anyone know about the hempfiled township or latrobe area? thats where my wife is looking at houses. she is going back aug 3 to the 8 for some job interviews and to check out some houses. was just wondering if there is a track around to hit some track days and what is the cost for a whole day? one, or a few, of my conditions of moving is to get some dirtbikes, always wanted some and the kids will have a blast, a snowmobile, not really necesary, but what i really want is to get a second bike and do the track with it. the idea was for her to go out and check it out, then i would go out there and then we would decide, but i could care less as long as she is paying for it since im a stay at home dad, AND i get the toys to go along with it. LOL let me know what you guys think cause it will probably happen in the next few months. hopefully we get there before the winter hits.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
The closest track that I know of for bikes is in Louden, NH. But there may be one in PA that I'm unaware of.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
redoliander said:
well it looks like ill be moving to pa sooner than later. anyone know about the hempfiled township or latrobe area? thats where my wife is looking at houses. she is going back aug 3 to the 8 for some job interviews and to check out some houses. was just wondering if there is a track around to hit some track days and what is the cost for a whole day? one, or a few, of my conditions of moving is to get some dirtbikes, always wanted some and the kids will have a blast, a snowmobile, not really necesary, but what i really want is to get a second bike and do the track with it. the idea was for her to go out and check it out, then i would go out there and then we would decide, but i could care less as long as she is paying for it since im a stay at home dad, AND i get the toys to go along with it. LOL let me know what you guys think cause it will probably happen in the next few months. hopefully we get there before the winter hits.
Beaver Run Motor Sports Complex is the closest track which is only about 2 hours from you at most. Every one that has ever been to beaver run is more than happy with the track. It is 1.8 miles with I belive 32 diffrent elevation changes. The track is 1/4 mile from my house.

·
WYPIWYG
497 Posts
Theres always Pocono in Long Pond. Not sure if they have open track days or not. I never looked into that. There is a rumor that they are putting in a NASCAR approved road track just off of I-81 north of Pine Grove.

Latrobe is a few hours west of me. Never been there. Pretty much anywhere in PA is nice.

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
full day price?

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
damn thats expensive. for nesba a 75 dollar a year membership and 165 for a day of racing and also for for private tracktime where there is 20 riders per race 250 a day. its 150 here in az and i know of a lot of riders who go to new mexico for 60 a day at the track.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
BeaverRun & Pocono

I've ridden at BeaverRun and Pocono with Reduc Sportbike Association and BeaverRun is awesome. Pocono East is like an old friend though, since I've ridden it a lot. Pocono Formula USA is wild, since you get to use one of the banked turns at high speed. Nothing quite like full tuck into a backed turn at 130+mph....

JimE

·
WYPIWYG
497 Posts
That is awesome that they have track days at Pocono. I live about an hour from there. Not quite sure if I am up to it or not. MAybe next year. How much does it cost for one of those REDUC days?

Do they still have the FUSA races there? I went to 2 of them. They usually had them around the beginning of September. Awesome races.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Rumor has been going on for quite some time about the track at Raush Creek (up I-81). Supposedly it is half finished, but they ran out of money, so who knows if we'll ever actually see it finished.

I think the weather here is kind of sucky, but that is just my opinion. If you buy snowmobiles though, I can pretty much guarantee ya there won't be shit for snow, just enough for people to clean the grocery shelves and make it a PITA to drive to/from work. Cinders on the road suck. Where I come from, they used salt. Not as messy. Summers are hot and sticky. Spring and Fall are the best times, most wonderful times to ride, but they are usually invaded by too hot or too cold weather. Nice foliage scenery though.

Now that I'm done with the crappy weather rant, I do actually like the ruralness (is that a word?) and twistie country roads. The deer can be a pain and depending on where you live, you have to watch out for Amish buggies.

Ok. Enough from me. Welcome to PA! I'm sure you will love it, there certainly is plenty of riding in any direction. :)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
gixernut said:
Rumor has been going on for quite some time about the track at Raush Creek (up I-81). Supposedly it is half finished, but they ran out of money, so who knows if we'll ever actually see it finished.

I think the weather here is kind of sucky, but that is just my opinion. If you buy snowmobiles though, I can pretty much guarantee ya there won't be shit for snow, just enough for people to clean the grocery shelves and make it a PITA to drive to/from work. Cinders on the road suck. Where I come from, they used salt. Not as messy. Summers are hot and sticky. Spring and Fall are the best times, most wonderful times to ride, but they are usually invaded by too hot or too cold weather. Nice foliage scenery though.

Now that I'm done with the crappy weather rant, I do actually like the ruralness (is that a word?) and twistie country roads. The deer can be a pain and depending on where you live, you have to watch out for Amish buggies.

Ok. Enough from me. Welcome to PA! I'm sure you will love it, there certainly is plenty of riding in any direction. :)
I'd rather have salt than cinders. At least cinders won't eat your car/bike. They just make a nasty mess. Maybe it's just because I live down the road from a salt mine, but they sure use an ass ton of salt every year.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts