Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, I bought a 2014 mv agusta f3 in shanghai, china. Owning a large displacement motorcycle here is ridiculous. Basically, the price of the bike is 3 times the price you would pay in the US and the cost of the plate is around 25k usd. In all I spent over 70k usd to own this toy.

Let me start with the good things. I used to ride a 600 cbr and the f3 had noticeably more power throughout its rev range. While the cbr was pretty gentle under 8k rpm's, the f3 took off after 4 to 5k. Handling of this bike is extremely good. It's very thin and very light. The reviews that rave about how flickable the bike is are not lying. You have to try one to believe it. Sound of the engine is unreal. When you have the throttle pinned back at above 8k rpm's, the noise it makes is absolutely amazing. I have never heard any bike that sounds as good as this one does. I've noticed that videos on YouTube do not do this bike justice in the sounds department. The only way to describe it is that it's a high revving pitch of the inline 4's with the growl you get from a Ducati. I am a big fan of the quick shifter. First bike I have ever tried it on and it is silky smooth. Noticeable difference in shifting speed and smoothness. The look of the bike is amazing. The single sided swing arm and the exhaust makes the bike stick out as something special. I have a white one and with the red frame, the bike is absolutely gorgeous.

Now for the bad. The bike is an absolute nightmare to ride at low speeds. There are a ton of problems with the fuel mappings so trying to ride it at below 5k rpm's results in a ride where it seems like the engine is hiccuping. Mv is always saying that they are trying to solve this issue with new fuel mappings, but it's been 2 years now and still no solution? The bike gets hot, I know most sport bikes do, but at a certain temperature, the f3 blows hot air directly at you.... The gear indicator on the initial batch of bikes are broken and display the wrong gears. Mv in Italy told me they are sending a replacement, but that was weeks ago. Where is it? The worst thing is the stalling issue. When you rev the bike up, pull in the clutch to coast, the rpm's will drop and the bike will stall. This is regardless of how fast you are going or what gear you're in. How can they release a bike with this problem?!

All in all, I think it's an amazing bike if you only ride it on highways or at the track. With the fuel mapping issues and stalling issues, I am scared to ride it around the city. While looks and sound are absolutely top notch with this bike, we all want some functionality out of a bike. Mv has a lot of work to do to win me back to buy another one of their bikes. I would not recommend anyone buy this bike if they intend any kind of commuting with it.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I think you will find that MV do not advertise their bikes as commuters . I own a MV made motorcycle , I would never dream of trying to commute on the thing , it would be a nightmare , that's why I have other options , the idiot bike stays in the garage for high days and nonsense .

·
Registered
729 Posts
You should've bought a Triumph D675. It'll match (or beat) the MV on quick twisting roads, AND it's smooth and easy to ride slow or in traffic.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Wonder why China doesn't bypass the plate lottery for electrics. Would definitely spur some innovation and help with their air pollution.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Sounds like it wasnt worth 70k. Jesus that's ridiculous.

I could have bought eleven of my GSXR 1000's for that price.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
70K would have gotten that one dude both a CBR 1000RR and a Ducati 1198 with still leftover money to pay off insurance on both for a couple of years and brand new gear for each.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
i could own an RC30 and an RC45 for that money.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Well I would have to assume that any bike would be extreamly expensive for him. If not yea I would have a freaking beast track bike and an awsome street bike as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I would have to assume that any bike would be extreamly expensive for him. If not yea I would have a freaking beast track bike and an awsome street bike as well.
Basically any bike over 250cc's and imported is going to be triple to price. This is due to the import taxes. luxury taxes, and dealership markups. Then you have to deal with the 25,000 USD license plate to be able to ride it legally.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wonder why China doesn't bypass the plate lottery for electrics. Would definitely spur some innovation and help with their air pollution.
If only that were still the case for plates for large displacement bikes. Basically, the government stopped issuing them back in 2004 and only about 10,000 of these plates are left and being converted to car plates every day. The price of these plates only goes up as more and more people in China want a motorcycle and there are less and less plates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts