Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty much set on purchasing an 07/08 model year Daytona 675.

I used good judgment and bought a 500cc to get back in the game after not riding for 5+ years, but am ready for the jump to a b***** bike.

I've read over a ton of info about this bike, but would like to get some opinions from the bike owners themselves.

Bike will be used for commuting to work and weekend rides up north.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
its not a good commuter bike and not good for long trips, the riding position just isnt setup for that style of riding, it can be done but not comfortably. but I tell you what, the 675 is sexiest bike youll find on the cheaper side of a Ducati, you dont see many, they garner looks from everyone, the triple sounds amazing......especially with the addition of an exhaust, it handles beautifully, although the stock suspension can be a bit harsh if youre a lighter rider. as long as you know going in that this bike isnt an ideal commuter/touring bike I say go for it! you will not regret it. tell ya what, head on over to Triumph675.Net Forums - Powered by vBulletin and browse around a bit and youll find lots of useful info

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good info. I'm planning on test riding one in a few weeks to get a feel for it. Might try out some 600s from the big 3 for comparison. I really like the idea of having something different than everyone else though.

thanks

·
3 cyl r bttr thn 4
2,470 Posts
That's good info. I'm planning on test riding one in a few weeks to get a feel for it. Might try out some 600s from the big 3 for comparison. I really like the idea of having something different than everyone else though.

thanks
You will not regret getting the 675!! It is by far the funnest bike Ive owned thus far and glad I sold my 02' 750 for it. Test ride it is a must and you will be sold afterwards as I was. I called into work late just to be able to demo ride it one day and 3 years later I still love hitting teh power button and listening to that triple sound. Especially with my TwoBros Ti pipe.

It isnt a great commuter bike and sits a bit tall but if you dont have more than 30min commute you should be fine. Learn to use your legs anyways to keep loose on the bars helps out alot.

·
Registered
241 Posts
you've probably already made yoru decision, but i thought id' chime in anyway.

for the first few weeks i focused entirely on riding position. i can now ride for over an hour without discomfort and i routinely take it on a 30 minute commute without issues.

I love it though. lots of looks, compliments and the sound is amazing (even stock like mine). i'm a novice rider, btu i couldnt be happier with handling and power.

·
Prickly Pear
7,619 Posts
PM Gaolee for his thoughts. He bought the first 675 to arrive in Washington and maybe the PNW. He loves his.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
I had a 675 that I wound up modifying quite a bit. Awesome bike. Turns great, stops well and goes like stink. The motor is the centerpiece of the bike. It has a ton of character. The induction growl is the coolest thing I have heard, short of the gear drive on an RC30, when riding.

Lows are that it will roast your ass on a hot day (which I took care of by getting a Zard low mount exhaust). The rear shock is useless on track. The forks are a bit soft. It can shake it's head off or corners. It loves to hoist the front wheel(I consider this a plus, but it may unsettle you coming back).

I loved the bike, but wouldn't recommend it as a commuter bike or a long distance rider.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
The 09+ fixed the rear shock issues. Plus I think its actually sprung for around a 190lb rider (I forget the exact rate). I absolutely love the 09 over the 07 I had demoed last.

The front was a tab mushy when I had it on the track, but I still haven't gotten a good setup with the dual circuit compression yet. Right now my high speed is WAY to stiff and it feels like its bouncing over sharp bumps. I think I have the low speed about right, not wallowing and not jumping.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Actually. the 09 shock supposedly sucks too. It's supposed to heat up easily and lose damping. Of course, we may be riding at a much different pace. You may never notice it on the street, though.

I originally wanted to revalve my shock and the owner of GP suspension told me it's not worth it. Same opinion about the new one.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
Actually. the 09 shock supposedly sucks too. It's supposed to heat up easily and lose damping. Of course, we may be riding at a much different pace. You may never notice it on the street, though.

I originally wanted to revalve my shock and the owner of GP suspension told me it's not worth it. Same opinion about the new one.
I was running it about 15 second off AMA Supersport pace at NJMP this summer. So yeah, not exactly screaming. I didn't notice the back go off at all, but I'm still trying to zero in the settings though, you never come close to working the suspension at a street pace. Like I said I was still wrestling a bit with the dual compression settings....

Seems to me you may have to be at at decent expert pace before the stock suspension would become an issue. There was a guy in expert with an 07 675 that was turning 1:29s with the stock suspension and 2CTs, of course he was also drifting the beginning of the straight every lap. We were making jokes about the right side of his tire by 10 minutes into that session.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
I was running it about 15 second off AMA Supersport pace at NJMP this summer. So yeah, not exactly screaming. I didn't notice the back go off at all, but I'm still trying to zero in the settings though, you never come close to working the suspension at a street pace. Like I said I was still wrestling a bit with the dual compression settings....

Seems to me you may have to be at at decent expert pace before the stock suspension would become an issue. There was a guy in expert with an 07 675 that was turning 1:29s with the stock suspension and 2CTs, of course he was also drifting the beginning of the straight every lap. We were making jokes about the right side of his tire by 10 minutes into that session.
The 07 in stock form had MAJOR issues with the rear end. It would feel like all of the damping was gone after half a lap. It would just squat in the bottom of it's stroke quickly. Upset the whole chassis.

When I asked the guy at GP Suspension about it he said the shock is absolute junk. He said he wouldn't bother revalving it, which would have made him money, and just get a new shock. Got a Penske and it was like night and day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts