Sport Bikes banner

41 - 60 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm an aircraft mechanic.....................

·
Registered
88 Posts
NY style: you wouldn't happen to work for Spirit there in Tulsa?
I ask because I was thinking about maybe transferring down there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I could REALLY start to bash back at those..... People that slam on Hyosung for the shifting, or even the other things they seemed to come up with out of nowhere. I really don't get it. Maybe they are just too high-strung? Hmm... Anyways, been riding a KZ-550 ('83) and an FZ 600 for the past few weeks, and to be completely honest, my GT650 takes the cake on them. Maybe not in a drag, but in my opinion.

P.S. Thanks NYPizza! Glad you're down with your 250, don't know anybody personally that has one, AWESOME that you've got a HYO!

·
Registered
243 Posts
FF.......... I work for AA here in Tulsa, Been with them for 21 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
of course I like it over all...

fordfreek said:
endorfinized: glad you got your bike up and running right. And, I am a rider(well at least 13years ago I was), a mechanic by trade and a engineer.
Your theory is now flawed!!!:neener of course I never said what type of mechanic or engineer I was.
You have to remember that people are always going to be a little bit more defensive in here.There seems to always be people that want to come badmouth Hyosung without even knowing anything about the bike except "word of mouth".
Its all good though as you still have the Hyo!
Besides the problems you had, how do you like it overall for the price??
Absolutely great, It took a little physical adjusting, but it's much easier to handle now. I've been reading that the Hyo is 100lbs over a number of bikes in it's class but on a clear day in December I managed to pull the front end quite high in the air... much to my enjoyment and surprise, especially because it was in the middle of a busy 4 lane intersection. Overall good price and runs good. although I'm thinking of blackening the exhaust pipes now that the've got heat burns on the crome..

·
Registered
88 Posts
100lbs...I thought it was a little closer than that, but to be honest I haven't really checked. I would think they wouldn't sell a bike that much heavier than the competition even at Hyosungs price point?

Glad you you like it! I am now looking to get a dealership started in my area since there isn't one close. I am awaiting the return call from the Regional Sales Manager in my area. I hope they have agood program for new dealerships. Hopefully there will be more people to maybe recommend Hyo and I will make a little money and get the word out.
I also decided to get a GT650R instead of the 250 because it is a new '05 cheap. I am hoping to get it the beginning of May!! It would be sooner but my Credit Union screwed me. So I have to wait....

I am not a fan of the blackened exhaust but hey it's your ride. Heck, that is one of the few things I dislike about the 250's..the black exhaust pipe. just my $.2

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picked up a new 2005 Hyo GT650R last year (12 Miles on it) for $4200 I wanted a Kawi 650R or Vulcan 750 but none to be had. Checked the Hyo out and seemed pretty good deal (I have been riding since ~1966 )
I have a Yamaha FJ600 basketcase but not sure it will ever fly.
Great bike so far (4000 miles) but I don't abuse it. It is a V-twin not a inline 4 so keep the revs in the sensable range.
Rear brake pads out at 3k miles, totally died on me one time (ran out of gas after driving 10 miles on empty tank) and gave off some hellacious loud explosions out the exhaust in the morning till I disabled the AIS (Do not rev the engine when you shut it down!) Added ConvertiBars and it totally transformed the bike.
Plenty of power, good gas mileage, the big 3 couldn't fill my needs. Besides I like having something different! I get comments everywhere I ride..

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
Welcome to SBN, HyosungKen!!! :twofinger <---- SBN standard greeting.....

Congratulations on the sharp looking GT 650R. If your experience is anything like mine, people keep asking "Who makes it?". My favorite question though, is when they ask "Is it Italian?". HAHAHA!!!:neener

:cheers

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
sorry to jack, but what does the 650 get mpg wise??

·
Registered
3 Posts
ZQ8Dude said:
sorry to jack, but what does the 650 get mpg wise??
Depends on how far you twist the right wrist :D
But I get betwixt 45-60 MPG but I ride very conservatively (Too old and too many scars to get too adventurous)

-=Ken=-

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 650 is fun.. I took it up to 132 with a backpack on yesterday. Had quite the time on a 5 day mystery tour,and the hyosung hung with a guzzi, Maxx's Tuono, and a speed triple through the curves. I've heard complaints that it likes to go wide out of turns but I haven't had that problem once.

·
Registered
160 Posts
New rider and new Hyo (actually an Alpha Sports) Comet 250 owner here. I bought the bike used, only had 3,004 miles onit, in almost showroom condition. Fit and finish are pretty good, though a close inspection shows the frame paint is chipping on some of the welds. I'm going to contact my closest dealer as to touch-up paint. I'm already fighting a never ending battle with rust on my truck ('86 toyota) and don't want to start with the bike. I have only put 50 miles on it in a parking lot, but it rides and handles quite easily. The only caveat being that my dad and I lowered the bike (i'm only 5'5") and the side stand scraped a little on left hand truns. We shortened it a little more and I shave a hair off of the mount that it rests against when up so that it now goes a little higher. I'm about to head out and see if the problem is solved. Another problem from lowering it was that the rear tire was rubbing the rear fender on bumps due to the shock pre-load being set low. It took us a while to figure out how to adjust the rear shock, but in the end we just removed it and used a vise to hold it while using a spanner wrench. The only mod I have done so far is to drill a few holes in the baffle of the muffler (read about this on korider.com) to get a better exhaust tone. It definitely made it growl a little more and it is a good bit louder. It doesn't sound very good in low rpm's but really starts to sound good aover 4 or 5k. Overall I'm very happy with it and can't wait to get her out on the road.

-Joe-

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't heard the 250's but I bet they aren't as beefy(even though the 650s aren't beefy...) as the 650. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it on the road. People complain that they corner wide, and I can say that I've kept my 650 pretty tight in the corners!

·
Registered
12 Posts
buying new hyo, in the works!

hey all, just went and put a down payment on an 07 hyo gt650r... just waiting for that approval call :) will be taking the msf course this weekend so cant pick it up til monday. can't wait, first bike :)

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
unionboy84 said:
hey all, just went and put a down payment on an 07 hyo gt650r... just waiting for that approval call :) will be taking the msf course this weekend so cant pick it up til monday. can't wait, first bike :)
Congrats!!! Welcome to SBN:twofinger (<--our standard greeting), and welcome to the family.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Right on!

Wouldn't recommend taking the.... wait nevermind. I tried to take the Endorsement test on my Hyo 650, and there was no way. Ended up taking it on Maxx's '83 KZ-550. Awesome bike to have for a week!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Got some good road time in yesterday with my dad. Started out pretty easy on some mountain roads at 45-50. we rode like that for about a half hour till we pulled off for my dad to see what I wanted to do. I had gotten pretty comfortable with those speeds, and was having fun so we went back out for another hour or so, this time taking some even more out-of-the-way roads still riding pretty conservatively (though on one I had a chance to pin the throttle and rip through the first four gears :D). I ended up getting really cold beacuse I had the side panels off of my jacket so after an hour and a half of riding we headed home. On the way down we got up to 65-70 on a good mountain road with a few lazy curves and some good straights. I really surprised myself with how comfortable I was with that kind of speed being my first time on the road. Well, it's another beautiful day so I'm going riding!

-Joe-

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
EighteenAndILikeIt said:
I tried to take the Endorsement test on my Hyo 650, and there was no way.
EighteenAndILikeIt has a point in regards to getting your MC license on the Hyo. At least here in Wa his Hyo doesn't even come close to turning sharp enough to pass the test(speaking of the GT650R w/clip-ons). You might wanna borrow a tighter turning bike to make the test easier.
My kid came back and aced it on a bike that turns tight.
FYI

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
Yeah, the turning circle on the R models is ANYTHING but tight.....

For new riders, I'd advise checking to see if your state offers a "road-test exemption" for passing the MSF BRC. In Ohio they do.....

41 - 60 of 191 Posts