Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sweet! Looking good EJ & NYStyle!
The red looks sharp.
Tell us how your travels go on the 250 NY...
:cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought my 2005 Hyosung gt650r 5 months ago and decided not to take it to the dealership for 1400k mile workup. Instead I took it to a mechanic that taught me allot about my 250 ninja when I first started riding. I've found some pretty classy problems that I'll give my dealership one chance to fix under my wonderful two year warranty, then post my ordeals in detail. As far as engineering goes I low sided on a manhole cover and the bike slid about 10 feet with little damage to the plastic, thanks to it's retractable foot pegs and nubbed handlebars. More to come... Ok more is here...apparently when I had it checked out by my (other mechanic) he notice that the clutch adjustment lever is actually inside of the clutch casing. This is terrible and besides making small adjustments to the master cylinder clutch lever I seem to have an issue were as the clutch slips after 4th 5th gear over 8k rpm's it feels funny but I didn't mind it mostly because I've been riding for about a year and didn't know any better, worse I don't think they are willing to fix this without me paying for service*note*(Servicing this bike is something you will absolutely have to do, and of course that doesn't gaurentee flawless behavior on the part of it's engine*, also this bike is nothing like the SV650 when it comes to the engine, and if it was I wouldn't have to open the whole thing up... pull out the clutch casing.. find the clutch adjuster... tighten it .... and hope to god that I don't find a set of burnt out clutch plates at 2k miles but I'll do what I have to because now I own this problem. The factory front breaks are very soft and don't come close to my 1984 ninja 250 which stopped on a dime, I guess I would describe them as soft. Also the fairings on the front are not made well and decided to crack after the first two months giving me an annoying rattling sound that caused me to think that I had another issue. Also I can make this thing back-fire in the quietest of neighborhoods by revving it up really high engaging the clutch and using the engine to slow down the bike.... in less then a second I hear POP! similar to a large caliber hand gun. It's nifty but even if this bike runs lean I know backfires to be damaging in the way that if it keeps happening it won't be funny to see people ducking when I cruise the Oakland streets. Lastly I wore totally through a pair of back breaks in 1600 miles now maybe I was sleeping on the back breaks, or maybe I didn't trust the fronts, or maybe they needed adjustment that wasn't included as something to service in the manual but that's just as obscure as global warming.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but the clutch adjuster is not inside the motor. It adjusts exactly like every other cable operated clutch.

See page 13 of the service manual.

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
endorfinized said:
Just bought my 2005 Hyosung gt650r 5 months ago and decided not to take it to the dealership for 1400k mile workup. Instead I took it to a mechanic that taught me allot about my 250 ninja when I first started riding. ...apparently when I had it checked out by my (other mechanic) he notice that the clutch adjustment lever is actually inside of the clutch casing.
Let your other "mechanic" stick to EX250s, he's worthless when it comes to a Hyosung (and I suspect, at other bikes as well). Clearly, he hasn't a clue what the hell he's talking about. You also realize that having such a "pro" doing your service may make your warranty worthless, right?

endorfinized said:
.....I seem to have an issue were as the clutch slips after 4th 5th gear over 8k rpm's it feels funny but I didn't mind it mostly because I've been riding for about a year and didn't know any better, worse I don't think they are willing to fix this without me paying for service..... Also I can make this thing back-fire in the quietest of neighborhoods by revving it up really high engaging the clutch and using the engine to slow down the bike.... in less then a second I hear POP!
The maintenance work your "other" guy did could very well be responsible for the clutch issue. After all, he hasn't a clue when it comes to "the clutch adjustment lever". So what are the odds that he actually adjusted the clutch at all, much less correctly? This could also be related to your using the engine in the manner you describe. Brakes are for braking, engines are not. Popping isn't an unusual trait in a motorcycle, and it is distinctly differrent from backfiring. The question is, is what you are hearing actually a backfire?

I can't fault Hyosung or the dealer for not fixing this on their dime. Why should the dealer give you free service? If you'd paid your dealer to service the bike, he would have dealt with the clutch adjustment as part of the scheduled maintenance. Instead, your "mechanic" left your clutch out of adjustment, and you're paying the price. Hyosung is responsible for the failure of their product. Failing to properly maintain the motorcycle, and subjecting it to unnecessary abuse isn't their responsibility.

endorfinized said:
Lastly I wore totally through a pair of back breaks in 1600 miles now maybe I was sleeping on the back breaks, or maybe I didn't trust the fronts, or maybe they needed adjustment that wasn't included as something to service in the manual but that's just as obscure as global warming.
It's easy to lightly load the rear brake without realizing it. Next thing you know, "POOF", no more rear brake pads. Again, the brakes would have been cleaned and inspected by your dealer as part of the scheduled maintenance.

Ultimately, it's a case of blaming the bike, the dealer, and the manufacturer for the failings of "Gomer's Garage". My advice? You need to find yourself a new "expert". No bike, no matter the manufacturer, is going to endure improper service and neglect and continue to operate flawlessly. No manufacturer or dealer would cover such either.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's my black bike up there. The red one looks cool. I forgot what they looked like in red because all I ever see is my black one, and the black ones with the black pipes(stock?) at the dealer nearby. I'd tell you how fast I've taken mine but incidentally my dad is Maxx so I can't really say. Like he says, it's not slow.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Gt250r Update............

Okay folks, here's an update on my shiny red Hyo two-fiddy.
I am now approaching 1000 miles, have had my first service, only put gas in it 3 times(60-70 mpg?), and have had absolutely no problems.

This past weekend I experienced the pleasures of running WOT as I went on another 200 mile jaunt. Pulling away from a stop is big fun!:dblthumb
I had to pass some 18 wheelers a few times and I am happy to report I was able to do so without downshifting into 4th. I hit 85-90, in a headwind, as I passed them, running about 9000 rpm, so there is not much left as redline is 10,500. Granted, it's only a 250, so I did not rocket pass the trucks,however at no time did I not feel safe. It passed at about the same rate as my '03 Jeep(which is no rocketship either........). My point is there have been many who have stated on this and other forums that a 250 is unsafe because it cannot get out of it's own way........... you will not be able to "accelerate" out of a dangerous situation..........yadda-yadda......etc.
After a little more break-in, I will try passing by downshifting and see if the bike's passing performance improves measurably.

I think due to the v-twin configuration, coupled with the roller cams, this bike performs much better than say the 250 Ninja with it's oudated engine design. This is in spite of the fact that the Hyo is approx. 50 lbs heavier than the Ninja.

Robert and Maxx.......... I welcome any and all opinions on what I've just stated, that's what this forum is for. As I've stated before, I am extremely happy with my ride and would buy one again in a heartbeat. I have had no mechanical problems and unlike a small minority of people who have opined that the bike "looks" like P.O.S., I think the fit and finish on the HYO is just fine.
I have several friends who together have a combined riding experience of over 100 years examine it, and a couple even rode the bike, and all have been impressed, especially considering the price. These guys ride a Gixxer 1000, a BMW K-series, a HD V-rod, and my roomate who rides whatever is in the garage at the time, mostly sportbikes of the GSX-R,R1,R6,636, variety.

Once again, as an owner, I throw this out there so that anyone considering the HYO 250/650 can make an informed decision. I researched bikes for 6 months prior to buying, and I am so glad that I did.

One more thing for the first-timers out there........... Take the MSF course!!!!!
There have been several accidents here in the Tulsa area and most were single vehicle........... meaning the operator lost control of his machine........some were fatal. Get trained, Enuff said.

Rubber side down!:headbang

-Ruben

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Glad your enjoying N.Y. STYLE!
All I could add is to check your bolts. My kids had several(tail section mostly) bolts come loose. SS lines up front & EBC pads would probably slow it better--at least that was a HUGE improvement on my kids 650.
Still... its 250, don't run your nice ride into the ground by having it pinned ALL the time!
I think its EVEN MORE IMPORTANT for frequent oil changes on a small motor that is run near its limit quite often...

Get us some twistie pics, ok? :cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maxxacceleration said:
This is a bit of a repeat of an earlier thread, but I am curious to who can speak up as a owner of a Hyosung.
Is it only Robert & eighteenandIlikeit?
:cheers
Hi! Nope, there is turgut here too :) I own a GT250R, and I absolutely love it.
I have 7900 KM's on the odometer now, and it just purrs. I use it several times a week to commute to the city where I teach, about 60KM away.

Greetings from Izmir, Turkey.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
tkalfaoglu said:
Greetings from Izmir, Turkey.
Greetings to you also! Post up a picture of your bike tkalfaoglu.
We'd like to check it out in your part of the world.
Enjoy and take care of your machine. :cheers

·
Registered
243 Posts
Twisties???????

Maxxacceleration said:
Get us some twistie pics, ok? :cheers
Maxx,
First I gotta learn how to RIDE the twisties, then I'll take some pics, capiche? :newbie

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
N.Y.STYLE PIZZA said:
Maxx,
First I gotta learn how to RIDE the twisties, then I'll take some pics, capiche? :newbie
HAHAHA!!!!:eek:nfloor

We're a small but, for the most part, happy bunch.....:rolleyes

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a definite happy one!

And, if I do say so myself, I'm quite awesome in the twisties! Not to let my head inflate though. I learned today that it can be quite bad.... The Hyosung does well through the corners. Magazines are comparing them to the new Ducati's and GSX's which is just outta hand...

Anyways, Hyo ftw!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am Happy! Life is good! Except for the weather............. here in Tulsa our minor league baseball team got SNOWED out last week. SNOWED out, not rained out............. in April, WTF?????

I think there is a conspiracy going on against new Hyosung owners to keep us from riding our bikes. I read once about some weather control experiments the Federal Govt. was involved in.........:egrin

BTW Eighteen, nice "seat ornament" you got there!:dblthumb :headbang

Ahhhhhh......... to be 18 again!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Maxxacceleration said:
Ok N.Y. I'd be fine with a mountain or river in the background.
Keep it fun! :)
Hey Maxx,
Check out my profile pic. That's me on Mt. Adams, WA last July. Your neck of the woods.........

·
Registered
3 Posts
addendum

Ok after listening to all the tripe I need to perhaps be a bit more specific. To start one thing I've learned is that riders aren't mechanics, and mechanics aren't engineers. That said .... let me be more specific about the part.

It's the "CLUTCH RELEASE ADJUSTER" part 12 on page 41 of the parts catalog. It seems to be the only way to tighten up the clutch plates which will affect the free spin of the plates when the clutch is closed or open (I don't know the terminology)

and I'm afraid arguing me down as to the competence of my mechanic is ridiculous. I went through every aspect of the service manual as did he and double checked every service adjustable part mentioned in the manual mostly because I can't afford to pay my "very kewl" Hyosung mechanics for the a for mentioned service.

What I did notice however was that real experienced people ask more questions when they're looking for real answers instead of just people to shoot out of the sky, who obviously know less.

I most enjoyed the fact that no one mentioned my broken fairing and that I neglected to mention how many bolts and cow screws have fallen off my bike since day one (to date 8) and yes I know what lock tight is, and yes they were tightened.

I'm also well aware that I've spent considerably less money then 3X price I would have put out in addition to the service for a microscopically looked over and amazingly fancy new bike of the same displacement value.

So all that said I pushed the clutch cable (1mm space)to the very edge and the clutch will now free spin between 8/9k for a second before engaging which I can live with. Also my Hyo mechanics said they would do it as part of the 2 year warrenty ...... so everybody can shut up now... thanks for nothing..

·
Registered
88 Posts
endorfinized: glad you got your bike up and running right. And, I am a rider(well at least 13years ago I was), a mechanic by trade and a engineer.
Your theory is now flawed!!!:neener of course I never said what type of mechanic or engineer I was.
You have to remember that people are always going to be a little bit more defensive in here.There seems to always be people that want to come badmouth Hyosung without even knowing anything about the bike except "word of mouth".
Its all good though as you still have the Hyo!
Besides the problems you had, how do you like it overall for the price??

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
At age 31 endo are you so broke you can't afford some qulity service to get your bike right? Save some money to get it fixed properly if you are not a mechanic. Tight bolts falling out? Hmmm...
I'm not trying to slam you. Just spend a little so you can enjoy your bike!

21 - 40 of 191 Posts