Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I've been listing my bike for sale all over the internet and various ads, I've gotten a bunch of e.mails from interested buyers. Now this is a good thing but the majority of them are from the UK and I never once advertised on any UK sites.

Could this be some sort of overseas scam or do you guys think they're actually interested? So far one guy has asked me for my address so that he can send me a certified cheque.

What do you think? Anyway I'm getting screwed because I gave him my address?

Any known scams out there for overseas deals?

Thanks.

·
The Premed
318 Posts
SCAAAAAAAAAMMM !!! Stay away from Uk guys looking for sportbikes. I have heard of successful sales with collector edition cruisers and old bikes to UK, but 99.99% of the sportbikes' want to buy people are fake...and Ive read about people get screwed over by them.

Oh btw this is how you get screwed. He sends you a cashiers check, for the amount your asking and 500$ or something more for shipping. He asks you to wire the 500$ to a friend who will take care of the shipping. Meanwhile, the check is in the bank and appears to be deposited or somethign liek that..only after two weeks to find out the transaction cannot be complete. In the meanwhile, you have already wired the 500$, and in some cases, shipped the bike too. In some cases, they just settle for the wired amount.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mr. Lesbian said:
Ever since I've been listing my bike for sale all over the internet and various ads, I've gotten a bunch of e.mails from interested buyers. Now this is a good thing but the majority of them are from the UK and I never once advertised on any UK sites.

Could this be some sort of overseas scam or do you guys think they're actually interested? So far one guy has asked me for my address so that he can send me a certified cheque.

What do you think? Anyway I'm getting screwed because I gave him my address?

Any known scams out there for overseas deals?

Thanks.
Those emails are most likelly scams. Did you look at spelling/grammar in it? Most of those scammers can't write worth of crap. That's usually the biggest giveaway.

Did he offer just to send a check and you ship it, or it's a check and you have to send some money back? Suggest Western Union or tell him/her that you know somebody who lives nearby that person's place- so they can pick up CA$H. That ought to stop them, if they ARE scammers

bad things for giving your address:

1. can sell that address for more scam mailing
2. now he knows WHERE the bike is (potential for theft)

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Filip75 said:
Those emails are most likelly scams. Did you look at spelling/grammar in it? Most of those scammers can't write worth of crap. That's usually the biggest giveaway.

Did he offer just to send a check and you ship it, or it's a check and you have to send some money back? Suggest Western Union or tell him/her that you know somebody who lives nearby that person's place- so they can pick up CA$H. That ought to stop them, if they ARE scammers

bad things for giving your address:

1. can sell that address for more scam mailing
2. now he knows WHERE the bike is (potential for theft)
DAMN UK BASTARDS!

I had a gut feeling about giving out my address. Damn it. But I'm moving in 30 days anyways... My bike isn't stored at home anymore so he can't steal it and if he does, I'd get more from insurance than what the sale would be.

His first e.mail, he asked about the condition of the bike. Then the 2nd e.mail he says he's interested and asked where to send a cheque to. So I gave him the address.

Now if a cheque does come in, I'm gonna cash it and wait a MONTH before shipping anything out. And I'm not wiring any money to anybody.

Thanks guys for the heads up.

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
ya it is a scam, i put my dirtbike on there for sale, and i got this guy from UK to send the bike and money and shit, and i said no.. ur out of country, then i got a e-mail from the same dude saying he now lives in germany and shit.. im like wtf.. so stay away from out of country people..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts