Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happens when a bike overheats? My bike seemed to be running hot for some reason tonight while riding. At one point, it got to 230 (not hot but read on...) while doing 10-20mph for a bit. Granted, bikes like to stay above 30mph, it shouldn't have gotten hot that quick. During my ride tonight, we headed downtown where it was a lot of stop-n-go traffic, I would turn off my bike at most of the stops. When we came to one stop, after cutting my bike on and attempting to start again, it wouldn't start. Long story short, it seemed like the battery was dead.

Push started it once (for the first time on the 1000, YAY! :rolleyes: ) and she came alive. Experimented by letting her run for a minute then turning her off to see if she would start. Nope, just the dreaded Click, Click, Click. :mad: Push started her again, and she wouldn't turn over. Tried again, no luck. Tried on a longer street, push started and turned over. Turned around to rejoin my group, and we decide to try and get out of the downtown traffic. Meanwhile, the bike was around 230 again, fan was running if I remember correctly. So the best friend that I ride with all the time decide to head to his house. We break off from the group and lane split through traffic to a light. When we stopped, I looked down to notice that my dash is out. The lights were still on, but the speedo and tach were not working. Revved it up, and it came back on, idle, and it went off. :a2

My friend noticed it as well and he's just as baffled as I. The light turns green and we make our left turn into more bumper traffic. Not able to lane split because there are cops everywhere. So guess what? My bike dies on me while we're rolling at 5-10mph. So there I am with a pretty new 1000 rolling it down the street. My friend and I push it up a hill and make a right down a low-traffic street with a downhill incline (YES!!!). So I start my decent and an idiot in a BMW cuts in front of me to make a turn into a parking lot and I have to restart my roll. :boid Anyway, I get a good 10mph roll and she starts right up. I let my friend take the point and we head to his house. We made it quickly and safely.

So!...to sum up...the bike shows it's getting hot (230+), battery seems to go dead, and will no longer start without a clutch start. The bike's at just under 1800 miles had one oil change at 600 miles. What are your conclusions/suggestions? The bike is under warranty, so I'll take it into the not-so-local stealership tomorrow or Tuesday, not sure if they're open tomorrow. I may take the fairings off and check the battery fuse, as I had a similar problem with my Honda and that turned out to be part of the problem. But since I don't have my manual with me, where is the fuse located?

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it's still under warranty then I would definately take it to the dealer. You may be out of bike for a day or two, but at least you won't be paying for it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Sounds like you had a hell of a night!!! Sorry to hear about your bike!!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yeah take it to get checked out. I have been in some pretty bad traffic in my 03 and I don't recall my temp getting above 223-224 before the fan came on, have not had to push start it or anything else either.

Better to be safe then sorry.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Check your coolant level for the temperature issue. However, if it's hot out and you're doing a lot of stop-n-go driving, it will heat up and the fan will come on. If the coolant level is good, the fan should be able to maintain a safe temperature at idle forever.

Do you do a lot of short trips on the bike? It sounds like the battery is discharged. Bike batteries don't charge until the revs get above 4 or 5k. Lower revs than that and the electrics (lights, gauges, etc.) consume more amps than the alternator can generate so you end up discharging the battery as you ride around. Shutting it off and re-starting in traffic also puts a b***** load on the battery. You may have to get your battery charged up again. Longer rides with the revs mostly up at least 4 or 5k will keep it charged.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds as if you just drained your battery by stopping/starting it. 230 is hot but won't cause any harm. Remember, besides the motor being hot, the fuel, battery and other components are also hot, making it hard to start. Unless you plan on being stationary for 10 minutes, I wouldn't suggest shutting the bike down. You're actually doing more harm than good. The oil is so thin, that it goes to sump very quickly leaving everthing dry. When you crank the motor back up, it takes a moment for the oil to build pressure.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The night the problems were occuring, I was thinking that my starting and shutting it off may have been doing more harm, but I didn't truly know. Also, in my experiementing, it seemed like the battery was slowly but surely recharging on its own. Although, after a continuous 10 minute ride to my friend's house, it still wouldn't crank up on it's own power, so maybe not. But I'll be stopping by my friend's house today since I'm off today to see how she's feeling. I miss her so much. :(

·
Registered
994 Posts
RayOSV said it best.

If your rad isn't blocked you should keep it running; the coolant flowing past the cylinders is better for it than shutting it down.
Your fan should be able to keep it cool, if it can't there's something wrong, My guess is low coolant or a blocked passage somewhere (thermostat?).

No doubt, low rpm and constant starting will drain your battery.

CHECK that your coolant is flowing properly!

·
Registered
36 Posts
2004 GSXR 1000-Fuel Injected-Electronic Fuel Pump
Hence-if battery is drained as suggested earlier, the fuel pump will not pump without juice from the battery, which means your bike will shut down,sounds to me like you have a charging/battery problem. good luck

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I finally went to check on her. She started right up with no effort on my part. Just as I had suspecteded, overheating/whatever drained the battery. My friend declaried to me it wouldn't start. But I tried to tell him it would, just give it time. Oh well. As soon as I started her up, I hopped right on, threw on my new RF900 helmet and headed home, trading the car for the bike. So now I have to go back for my car. Anyway, 10 minutes after I started riding, raaaaaain stoooorm. :rolleyes: I got completely soaked as soon as it started. Oh well, didn't stop me from doing 60mph all the way back to my house 15 minutes away. :p Everything seems fine now.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well damn, looks like I was premature on my victory. After class I decided I was gonna ride a little before turning in the night. Long story short, she wouldn't start again. Battery seemed to be dead. After several push start attempts in my driveway, she finally turned over. However, I got a check engine light. The code I got was FI. So I'm guessing Fuel Injector / Injection? How could that have been affected? Ugh. I'll try and troubleshoot it tonight or tomorrow. Any ideas? I'll probably check the battery first, along with the fuse. But other than that, I dunno.

Is it like KYGixxer stated and the because the battery is so drained that the pump isn't working like it should? Oh, and after I started it, and the light was on, I decided, I'm not going to even go around the block with it. Then I decided to test something. So I turned on the left turn signal and she died. The battery was struggling after that to keep everything charged.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Sorry to hear. I just went through a bunch of frustrating stuff on my 6 and I know how much it can bug ya. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
your bike is new? my buddy got a new 636 and had battery probs and he found out the dealership did not tighten the battery connections and the thing wasnt getting enough juice. the fi light went on too... you should check the battery connection, it takes two min..

·
old member
13,079 Posts
freakinhungover said:
your bike is new? my buddy got a new 636 and had battery probs and he found out the dealership did not tighten the battery connections and the thing wasnt getting enough juice. the fi light went on too... you should check the battery connection, it takes two min..
This is an excellent idea!! If the connections aren't tight, the battery would have a hard time getting/keeping a charge. It really sounds like your battery is weak at best.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Recharged the battery. Started up fine. Let's hope it lasts. I had this same problem with my F2, recharged the battery and it went completly dead a weak later and wouldn't recharge. But I think we overcharged it, as I actually looked in the GSX-R manual and it stated to charge it at 1.5A x 5-10 hours. Or 5A x 1 hour. Our charger only has 2A and 10A. So I charged it at 10A for 25 minutes. Hopefully it doesn't kill it. But I enjoyed my little 10 minute ride to see if anything would act up. Let's hope that when I ride to school, it doesn't fubar again...

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, so much for that idea. Made it to class just fine. Attempted to start it...and nothin! :mad: Hope it'll push start when I'm ready to leave. Which is actually right now. I hate this damn class.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update! After several push start attempts after ditching class, she finally came alive. Only to find out, I had both my helmets locked under my passenger seat as I didn't want to add more sweat to myself from all the pushing. :mad: Anyway, put my helmet on, and barely got her to turn over right after that.

I take off like a bat out of hell to my house. I was informed earlier that some of my riding buddies were going to be at a spot 2-3 minutes from my house so I thought I might pass by. But after all the shit I just went through getting her started, I said no. But little did I know, I forgot I was on the street that they were meeting at and they saw me coming up and waved me to come over. I didn't even think about it. I popped a U-turn into the middle lane and stopped a little too hard, locking up the rear brake. No, I didn't fall, as I do this all the time...BUT. Since my bike was already acting weird, the tranny kind of "skipped a beat" and she cut off. God damnit!

Anyway! Long story short, even though there were 5 of us attempting to push start my bike, we couldn't get her goin. So I called my dad an had him come up and attempt a jump start. He promptly arrives and she jumps right up without even having the truck on. But of course, does she stay on after removing the cables. Well...for maybe a minute, then she cut off. Eventually we got her to keep going after letting the truck charge up the battery a little bit and keeping the revs at 4,000RPM. This time when I left, I was really rollin'. Only to get stopped by the red light. :rolleyes:

But anyway, I finally made it. I have come to the conclusion that the voltage regulator rectifier is gone. Same exact thing that happened to my F2. *sigh* That part was a little over $200 straight from Honda, but I got it for a little over $100 somewhere online. I can just imagine what one would cost for a NEW bike. Grrr! Guess I'll take it in to Suzuki this weekend...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts