Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how dangerous is an outside tire plug for the rear tire on a bike? you guys know i've been repairing other things.. and I finally got the money to get everything in. I got front rotors, front brake pads, chain and both sprockets. Gonna install them sometime next week. The rear tire has good thread (kind of worn but not all the way) but it has an outside plug. I rode it a couple times and the seller rode it to work when he needed that bike. I don't race or go on canyon cause i'm just learning.. and I just do a lot of street riding at speed limit.

Is the outside plug really dangerous? Or should i take it to the dealer and do something about it? I was gonna get a brand new tire but I don't have the money right now. I'm currently saving for my helmet and jacket. And then gloves. :D Thanks

-david

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
bad......you don't necesarily have to goto the dealership, just find a moto shop that repiars tires from the inside......

or better, replace it........

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
Don't use a do-it-yourself plug. They're not made to withstand the kind of temperature generated by performance tires. They're just made to get you to a shop to have it replaced.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Anti-Hero said:
Don't use a do-it-yourself plug. They're not made to withstand the kind of temperature generated by performance tires. They're just made to get you to a shop to have it replaced.
+1 i had my tire get punctured by a 4 inch nail, i plugged it up and asked on here if it was ok. A resounding absolutley not. There are just so many variable on a bike, you dont need to add the option of deadly tire blowout on the freeway to all the other shit we deal with. I suggest just buy a new one or get it patched from the inside. Im sure if you really want to though, you can practice in parking lots or just go around your block if you got the itch. Just dont go balls out and practice near your house you should be fine. Big difference between tire blowout at 15-20 in a parking lot then 85-90 on the freeway or even on the street with fast moving vehicles everywhere.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW, had no idea it was THAT dangerous. DAMN, so i gotta get a new tire before i can even ride? I was hoping I can take care of that on the side when i get more money. AGH

How much does an inside patch or repair usually run?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
WOW, had no idea it was THAT dangerous. DAMN, so i gotta get a new tire before i can even ride? I was hoping I can take care of that on the side when i get more money. AGH

How much does an inside patch or repair usually run?
Agree that an "outside" plug is really only meant to get you somewhere you can get a "proper" inside mushroom plug or a new tire. Kind of like a temporary spare on a cage.

Around here there's a shop (not a dealer) that will do a mushroom plug from the inside for $25 I believe. They will first evaluate whether the tire can safely be patched in this manner. If the tire is too worn or if the puncture is too close to the sidewall or too extreme, they won't do it.

Good luck!!

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh not bad. $25 bucks is okay to hold me over for a while. :D Thanks! I'll go check up on that tomorrow morning actually.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i went around all day today and no one would do it. they said it's better to buy a new tire. DAMN it.

and another thing i found out. My car's front tires are at like 40%. And the rears are at like 90%. WTF.... talk about missing tire rotations. damn it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts